Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most overbashed games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

E.T- Atari 2600
    Same reason as the other people on the thread mention. I am admit that it is not great game, but it is the worst game on the Atari 2600. If they really want to play a real bad Atari 2600 game, they should play Karate.

Super Mario Brothers 2 (american version) - Nes
    I own this game and it is a very good. I never heard anythingbad about this game before the internet. I was a kid back in the 1980's and none of the kids my younger brother and I knew bad mouthed Mario 2This game gets bashed just because the game has Mario and Mario Characters in it. If it didn't have the name Mario on it, it would be looked at it as a good Nes game.

Pac-man - Atari 2600
    It is not a good port, but this baby gets bashed way to much due. The only reason it gets based a lot is due to the amount cartridges Atari produced. I own a lot of Atari 2600 games and I have my share of Atari 2600 Arcade ports. The system has a lot of bad arcade ports like Donkey Kong and Defender for an example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Mario 2. It holds a special place in my heart, because it was one of the first games I ever owned. I got my NES for Christmas '88, it was my first video game console ever. With it, it came with Mario/Duck Hunt of course, and the only other game I got for it was Mario 2. I played the Hell out of Mario 2, I beat it, and I still love it.

Overbashed games... probably any of the 3D Final Fantasy games. "Wah, Final Fantasy went mainstream and now it's not 2D and it sucks and it's too popular wah wah."

Other overbashed things:
    -The N64 controller
    -Mario Sunshine
    -okay that's all I can think of right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ET, but any atari game really

the reason being most people that bash ET have never played and will never play a 2600 for a reason other than poking fun at it.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    Pac-man - Atari 2600
    It is not a good port, but this baby gets bashed way to much due. The only reason it gets based a lot is due to the amount cartridges Atari produced. I own a lot of Atari 2600 games and I have my share of Atari 2600 Arcade ports. The system has a lot of bad arcade ports like Donkey Kong and Defender for an example.
    I have to disagree with you on that. Take a look at Ms. Pac-Man, released just one year later, and you'll see the lack of effort they put into Pac-Man. If they only produced 15 cartridges of Pac-Man, it still would have been a bad game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Other overbashed things:
    -Mario Sunshine
    This I can definitely agree with. I've never understood the criticism of this game, it's one of my favorite Mario games ever! It takes the 3D platforming goodness of Mario 64, and adds in some fun extra features. The game might be easier than Mario 64, but it's no Yoshi Story either, I find it strikes a nice balance.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mega Man 4, 5, and 6. I find them to be superior to the first 3 by a long shot.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Sunshine is more enjoyable for me than Mario Galaxy. Galaxy had a more casual feel to it, and it just lacked the charm that Sunshine had.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Mario Sunshine is more enjoyable for me than Mario Galaxy. Galaxy had a more casual feel to it, and it just lacked the charm that Sunshine had.
    I liked Galaxy and Sunshine, but 64 tops both IMO. Galaxy had a weird premise to it, and Sunshine was good but at times the water thing just got on my nerves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Problem with Sunshine is that Fludd made basic platforming parts way too easy, and the parts without Fludd (i.e. Yoshi and those secret areas) were glitchy.

I vaguely recall needing to ferry Yoshi to an island by boat to get a shine sprite, but every time the boat turns Yoshi just slides right off. That didn't even happen on Rainbow Ride on SM64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It's almost expected for me to say this, but here goes... Bullet Witch! Bullet Witch is a VERY over-bashed game and I can't understand why?

It has one of the best control schemes I have ever used. I don't think since Gun Griffon on the Saturn have I played a game with such a natural control scheme. It also has solid graphics, excellent level design, a ton of variety and replay value. So whats with the hate?

I think "Gamers" tastes have changed over time. If a similar game had been released years back on Dreamcast or PS2 I think it would have been regarded by many as a classic.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Problem with Sunshine is that Fludd made basic platforming parts way too easy, and the parts without Fludd (i.e. Yoshi and those secret areas) were glitchy.

I vaguely recall needing to ferry Yoshi to an island by boat to get a shine sprite, but every time the boat turns Yoshi just slides right off. That didn't even happen on Rainbow Ride on SM64.
    Yeah, I remember stuff like that. Boat hopping with Yoshi was such a chore in Sunshine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Other overbashed things:
    -The N64 controller
    Truth to this. I love the N64 controller and have always found it comfortable and easy to use. All of the crap that the controller gets is totally unwarranted, especially since it influenced all of the controllers that followed.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Mega Man 4, 5, and 6. I find them to be superior to the first 3 by a long shot.
    Agreed (although I never played 6 ). I had one hell of a good time playing Megaman 5, and Megaman 4 is my favorite one on the series.

I also think SMB2 and Pac-Man for the 2600 are overbashed. I absolutely LOVED SMB2 back in the day, and miss my cart (the only official one I had). And Pac-Man is fondly remembered by lotz and lots of brazilians, as it was one of the most popular games of he 2600 era. Most of us didn't know the arcade original, and had lots of fun playing this version - a fact that, IMO, says a lot about the game not sucking that hard. Lousy port? Maybe. Bad game? Not at all.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I have to disagree with you on that. Take a look at Ms. Pac-Man, released just one year later, and you'll see the lack of effort they put into Pac-Man. If they only produced 15 cartridges of Pac-Man, it still would have been a bad game.
    My point wasn't that Pac-man wasn't a bad game in terms of being an arcade port a first place. My point was there was a lot of poor arcade ports on the Atari 2600 at the time including defender and Pac-man singled out because there was pac-man cartridges than Atari 2600 systems sold at the time.

Pac-man was more popular than defender was in the arcades and pop culture is another reason Pac-man gets more talk about being a bad port than defender was. I remember the popularity of Pac-man in pop culture back in the 1980's as little kid back in the 1981 to 1984 time frame by me remembering seeing Pac-man cereal, pac-man cartoon, etc. The true was defender was a terrible arcade port and was as bad as pac-man was imo.

Ms. Pac-man being a better port than Pac-man because Ms. Pac-man was an 8k game and Pac-man was a 4k game for the Atari 2600. Tod Frye, the programmer of pac-man told Atari at the time that 4k wasn't enough to do a good port of Pac-man. Todd wanted 8k and Atari didn't him that at the time. 8k was available for Atari 2600 programmers at the time Pac-man was being worked on. Ms. Pac-man was given a cartridge of 8k of rom after what happened to Pac-man. The two games had different programmers, but the amount of rom affects how much a game can fit into a cartridge.

Defender was was lousy arcade port and Defender II (stargate) was a great arcade port. There was a difference between those two in how big the cartridge was in terms of memory. I don't think the programmer played a big role in the difference in quality despite the fact Defender II had a different programmer. Bob Polaro did some good games for the Atari 2600 like Road Runner later on. There was

I played the Atari 2600 ports defender and Defender II growing up and there was a big difference between the two games in quality.

Defender was one of the games at the time that shown there was problems with doing arcade games with 4k or rom. 4k of rom didn't hurt Activision games, but it was caused by they weren't arcade ports. Donkey Kong was a 4k arcade Port by coleco for the Atari 2600. The 2600 version was missing 2 screens and it could be pointed to it being a 4k game. If Donkey Kong was a 8k game, it could have 3 out of 4 screens.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 10-28-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SuperFamicom83's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dr. Chaos was a pain in the sack until you figure out how to get to the 2nd stage, then it is quite enjoyable.

Iron & Blood = Best ps1 3D fighting game, me and my buddy can play it for hours on end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I forgot one. Castlevania 2. No, not Simon's Quest. I'm talking about Belmont's Revenge. Every time I hear the phrase, "Terrible like the Castlevania games for Game Boy" I have to wonder whether the person spouting it out has played Belmont's Revenge, or whether they're even referring to it. It's so much better than the terrible Castlevania Adventure and Castlevania Legends. It can probably even hold its own against a lot of Game Boy greats.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I always felt that Twisted Metal 3 gets alot of unfair criticism. I think alot of it is due to the fact of Sony taking the reins away from SingleTrac and giving the series to 989. I personally think that before TM:Black it was the best in the series. Granted it was my first taste but I tried to play TM1 and 2 and was really rather unimpressed by them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to agree with SMB2 being an overbashed game. Just because it's another game with mario characters in it doesn't mean it has to suck.
    I love Mario 2. Plain and Simple. It's different yes, but fun as hell!
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Whack-A-Mole. Seriously people. You don't have to overbash the machines. You can just use a lighter touch, and be able to whack a bunch more moles!!
    Easy to say, hard to put into practice. Especially when playing the Whack-A-Newbie variant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvp6YXagXag

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sprung for DS. It's not a fantastic game by any means, but it didn't deserve the lynching that it got. It's well-written and entertaining.

Saga Frontier is one of my favorite RPGs on Playstation. I really love the battle system. Not sure why it got so much hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I always felt that Twisted Metal 3 gets alot of unfair criticism. I think alot of it is due to the fact of Sony taking the reins away from SingleTrac and giving the series to 989. I personally think that before TM:Black it was the best in the series. Granted it was my first taste but I tried to play TM1 and 2 and was really rather unimpressed by them.
    Although I wouldn't necessarily call 3 the best, I do think that 2-4 are all fairly similar in quality, and the first one is definitely worse than the others. I also really disliked Small Brawl. But yeah, there was nothing terribly wrong with 3 and 4, except you could argue they were getting stale.