Thread: Most overbashed games

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I see people on another site bashing Donkey Kong Country 3 saying it's their least favorite of the 3 games, but I feel the opposite and like it better than the other two for being smoother. More secrets and cool extras. It was like Sonic 3D Blast and came out when the next gen was becoming popular so that probably has something to do with it not being as succesful as the other two.

It's one of the games I would actually consider the best of Super Nintendo but people say "oh it's not so special compared to 1 & 2"
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It took a few sequels, but now that series is getting bashed for hell and back for being "Repetitive" even as the recent entries try to shake-up things for the folks who want something other than a peasant-slaughterhouse. (Meanwhile, I played a bit of DWVI and was so frustrated by how un-Dynasty-Warriors-like it was to me, I can tell it's approaching a point where the fanbase is gonna be unpleasable.)
    The fanbase being unpleasable is the problem with a lot of things. For instance, people say they're tired of Nintendo rehashing things. Then when original titles come out, they complain about them fixing what isn't broken. Case in point: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. It came out and got great reviews, with the only thing keeping it from being a AAA title being the game length. Yet the same people who bashed Pokemon games for being the same thing over and over again whined, "I'm not playing a new Donkey Kong game unless it uses a real controller! Where's my Donkey Kong Country 4?!"
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- Super Mario Sunshine
    - Luigi's Mansion
    - Sonic 3D Blast
    - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by biscuitdough View Post
    bubsy for the genesis. It's one of the most by the numbers platformers ever, but the gliding mechanic is pretty fun, and it has a good even difficulty curve. Played the first one tons as a kid, and just pulled it out to make sure I wasn't just looking through rose tinted glasses. The sequels were horrible I'll admit, but the first is a solid platformer...with horrendous graphics, but thats beside the point.

also, while alot of people complain about the controls, I thought the sense of inertia worked ok, it takes a long time to get used to, but it's certainly not "TEH WORST CONTROLS EVAR"
    man. all those bubsy cames cracked me up when i was little. I popped in claws encounters of the fur kind a little while ago and checked. Yes, its still a sweet game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    JJ & Jeff.
    Compared to the Japanese version, JJ & Jeff is your boring, run-of-the-mill, platformer.

The Japanese version at least had the toilet humor to keep it somewhat entertaining. It leads you to wonder if they were porting the game to one of todays consoles, if they'd leave the good bits, in the versios outside Japan... My guess would be an emphatic "absolutely".
    Last edited by diskoboy; 11-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I see people on another site bashing Donkey Kong Country 3 saying it's their least favorite of the 3 games, but I feel the opposite and like it better than the other two for being smoother. More secrets and cool extras. It was like Sonic 3D Blast and came out when the next gen was becoming popular so that probably has something to do with it not being as succesful as the other two.

It's one of the games I would actually consider the best of Super Nintendo but people say "oh it's not so special compared to 1 & 2"
    Although Sonic 3D Blast is way different compared to the previous Sonic games, while DKC 3 is similar to its predecessors. Pepole don't seem to like DKC 3 because of Kiddy Kong, which is kinda stupid. In reality, it's only a sprite change and it doesn't infect the gameplay at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't care much for Donkey Kong Country 3 either, but not because of Kiddy Kong. It's a good game but not as good as the first two, it mostly rehashes idea from the first two in weaker ways (I didn't know how else to word it, I'm tired...)

- Uninteresting levels. The best levels were the most of the factory ones, the tree one where the saw is chasing you, and the pipe/race ones; overall a small portion of the levels total, most were pretty 'by-the-numbers' type levels IMO.
    -Uninteresting bosses. You have a giant spider that bounces around and spits webs at you, a snowman that throws snowballs at you, and a squid (?) that spits water at you and chases after you with it's arm very slowly.
    - DK Coins. Rare took a good idea from 2 and made it worst. Instead of hiding the coins, you have to hit the kremling with a steel barrel in the back. Most of the time they are in plain sight or slightly hidden and you can get the coin simply by throwing the barrel over it's head and wait for it to bounce off a wall usually a few steps away to hit the kremling.

I think that Bubsy deserves it's bashing. It was an over hyped game in magazines/tv that's little more than a somewhat clumsy platformer that's average at best. I rented it a few times when I was a kid and I thought it was overly difficult with questionable controls - Bubsy runs way too fast and he slids too much after he stops - and way too many enemies/objects that can kill when you run into them. The multiple paths are nice but it's basically run forward and try not to get killed (it will happen, a lot); pretty run-of-the-mill design in other words.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I negatively reviewed it, I'll have to say Bubsy 3D (hey, I like all the games I negatively review anyway). Now, I don't really hate any game, but I wouldn't even say Bubsy 3D is the least best. It's really not that bad and once you get around the control and camera it can be a lot of fun and another cool thing about it is that it has a lot of platforms. Many 3D platform games like Banjo Kazooie (of course, a superior game) don't have that many platforms... You mostly just explore and stuff, but Bubsy 3D has all the platforms you need so Ill give it that and I know the graphics aren't technically advanced for Ps1 but like the music, it gives it character. So yeah, Bubsy 3D. Not really that bad. There's many games that are inferior to it. Worst PS1 game? Bull crap!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    Even though I negatively reviewed it, I'll have to say Bubsy 3D (hey, I like all the games I negatively review anyway). Now, I don't really hate any game, but I wouldn't even say Bubsy 3D is the least best. It's really not that bad and once you get around the control and camera it can be a lot of fun and another cool thing about it is that it has a lot of platforms. Many 3D platform games like Banjo Kazooie (of course, a superior game) don't have that many platforms... You mostly just explore and stuff, but Bubsy 3D has all the platforms you need so Ill give it that and I know the graphics aren't technically advanced for Ps1 but like the music, it gives it character. So yeah, Bubsy 3D. Not really that bad. There's many games that are inferior to it. Worst PS1 game? Bull crap!
    Yeah I've got it and I've played far worse sports and racing games that I just had to trade in. Bubsy wasn't bad enough to deserve a trade-in when I bought it for $5 anyway. Plus by having this game I own all four console Bubsy games, the first two being the Genesis versions. It's kind of funny that the Jaguar ended up having Bubsy 3 as an exclusive. I wonder what Bubsy 5 would have looked like if they had made one for PS2 and improved the graphics...
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man for Atari 2600.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

After watching videos of Bubsy 3D for the PlayStation, I think it looks like a Jaguar game.
    DERP

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Superman 64 deserves all the bashing its received and more.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    In your opinion, what do you think are the most overbashed classic games out there? Games that really aren't as bad as most say they are?

For me it's probably Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R. I actually like both of these games (especially Sonic R), yet most people that I run into them hate them with a passion. What gives?
    I agree with you about both of those Sonic games. I didn't play Sonic R until the rerelease on Gamecube, but it was a fun little racer. Both of those are better than a lot of the newer Sonic stuff.

My pick: Shenmue. I just loved both of the games for what they were - adventure games. They were billed as VF RPGs, but that wasn't really accurate. I got into the story, the amazing graphics and sound, the characters... So you had to kill a little time in the first game, and some of the dialog was corny. Boo hoo. That's pretty minor in the grand scheme of complaints. Shenmue certainly didn't corner the market on bad game dialog - plenty of that to go around.

2600 Pac Man is another one. It's a solid, very fun and playable maze game. It doesn't look a whole lot like the arcade game, but it's still fun to play and captures the essence of the original. Not great, mind you, but not as awful as a lot of people say.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Honestly, I think Bubsy 3D deserves even more hate than it gets. It's the only game I've ever played, and probably the only one I ever will, that literally gave me nightmares and put me in a weird, depressed funk for a few days (and this was after only one roughly 30 minute session with it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to play Bubsy 3d with Ulillillia.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    2600 Pac Man is another one. It's a solid, very fun and playable maze game. It doesn't look a whole lot like the arcade game, but it's still fun to play and captures the essence of the original. Not great, mind you, but not as awful as a lot of people say.
    I've heard that a number of times. If it were called Maze-man or something similar, people probably wouldn't have bitched so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I've heard that a number of times. If it were called Maze-man or something similar, people probably wouldn't have bitched so much.
    i think thats exactly the reason it gets bashed though. People are expecting Pac Man. There is no variety to it on the Atari. The developer admittedly spent no time on it, and it shows.

Yeah its fun, but for Pac Man it's a disgrace. I've got a better version on a graphing calculator.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The developer admittedly spent no time on it, and it shows.
    Well, that's not exactly true (according to Once Upon Atari, anyways). Todd Frye went to marketing/management several times and asked for a bigger cart. If he had more memory he could have written a new kernel where the ghosts wouldn't flicker, and it would have been much better overall. Atari was adamant to manufacture it as cheap as possible, so we got what we got. It wasn't so much a question of time as manufacturing cost.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Twisted Metal 4: Good game that gets bashed all the time by critics and fans of the series. It has good music and is a fun game to play with a couple of friends, and is not the worst in the series.

Super Mario 2: Enough has been said about it.

Xbox 360: Not a game, but I think this system gets bashed way too much. Sure, it has a ton of hardware problems and it is a pain in the ass, but besides that, its a good system.

Resident Evil Gaiden: Gets dumped on by every Resident Evil fan, but I find it to be an enjoyable GBC game. It may not be scary or have the same control scheme as the other RE's, but its still a good game.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I can't believe all the people defending VCS Pac-Man.

KC Munchkin for the ODYSSEY 2 was closer to Pac-Man than the VCS version. After the VCS version came out, people would come over to my house to play KC.

Pac-Man on the VCS was total crap. Absolutely NO redeeming qualities, whatsoever, except for maybe the box art.