Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What strict style of game could you never really get into...yet...

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default What strict style of game could you never really get into...yet...

I have never been a fan of purely turn based RPG's, war sims, pinball or many variations of sports games and puzzle games. Yet there are exceptions. Here are a few examples...

Never could get into the Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, or Ultima series, yet I did/do enjoy a dose of the turn based RPG system in Quest for Glory.

Never could get into the whole turn based strategy titles like Nobunaga's Ambition, Panzer General, etc... yet give me Fortune Builder for Colecovision and I can play all day. Ironically, I could never get into the Civ's or Sim City's either.

Cannot get into modern day Madden, Hockey or Baseball, yet give me my old handheld football game from back in the early eighties which just had little lines you would race to the endzone, NHL '94 for genesis, Baseball Stars for NES, or Super Action Baseball for coleco and I can play for days.

Can't play pinball games like for the Duo or PC but give me my old Wildfire handheld and I'm enthralled.

Tetris over Bejeweled anyday. Although people tell me there is an added element of complexity to that game, I just don't see it.

Never cared much for Wolfenstein, Doom, or Quake but sit me in front of Uncharted and I'm good to go.

Retro gamer and nostalgia?...of course!...but is there more to it...probably.

I plan to revisit all of the titles here down the road again as I know I am missing out...but I guess I just like what I like. Now that is a profound statement if there was one!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Strictly speaking... Quest for Glory isn't a turn-based RPG. It's an adventure game like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango - that's probably why you liked it

(QfG IS badass though, everyone should play that)

While I don't know if I have an example along the lines of the OP, the closest I have is my never-ending mental block with MMORPGs. I'm an RPG whore, tabletop... console, computer, turn based or real time. I love 'em... but I just can't get into the MMO ones.

Closest I've come was Diablo II and let me tell you... D2 and D2X took away about two and a half years of my life. When D3 comes out... I plan on not leaving the bedroom for quite some time.

Pity I can't say that last sentence and have it involve a girlfriend but, hey. What can ya do?
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turn-based RPGs. I haven't found one I like to this day--not that I've been looking that hard. I like anything that you can pick up and play with as little gameplay flow interruption as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never got into racing games; there's something...inauthentic about the gameplay that always bothers me. Exceptions are for those games where the racing isn't done in cars. F-Zero, Mario Kart, and Wave Race were all fun -- any "driving a car" racing game though? Pass.

I've also never really been a fan of FPS games, with the exception of Goldeneye. Doom never really did it for me, nor did Duke Nukem.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RPG's and FPS. I really hate having to grind to get up levels and stuff like that, so I never usually bother with RPG's. I do like stratagy games like Advance Wars though. I don't like to play FPS' either unless with a bunch of friends, the more the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turn based RPG's and RTS games. They say that Kotor 1 and 2 is psydo turn based but I didn't sit there waiting for anyone to attack me. As for rts's, like rpg's they just aren't my thing. I even have Halo Wars but haven't been able to get into it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

With a few exceptions, RPG's and sports games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

For me it is fighting games. I'm bad at them, can never remember combos (or sometimes even punch vs. kick), and my guy never seems to do what I mean for him/her to.

3 exceptions I can recall.
    1) When I was maybe in jr. high or HS I got Mortal Kombat on the computer... I may have been pirating it, although I don't think I knew that's what I was doing. We had dial-up internet access at home through the library system then, and I printed the moves for it and pretty much mastered Sub-Zero and beat the game... of course, knowing the moves on a keyboard doesn't translate well at all to a controller.

2 & 3) both in college when my roommate had a PS. We'd have a bunch of people playing Bushido Blade, with winner staying on. That works well for that game since each match is usually short. I went something like 76-0 with a chick character using two really short swords. The other was Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi. I know this game is generally bashed, but we had a lot of fun with it. I was the first to learn how to sidestep, and was kicking butt until everyone else figured it out too. I did get pretty decent using the Tusken.

Its funny how I have such detailed memories for these games from a genre I don't really like.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't do most tactical RPGs. Too boring.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fore me it's sports games and also fighting/beat 'em up games. Just like Cornelius, I can't get myself to remember all the combos. Also, I don't find enjoyment in analysing my enemies moves to find the correct counter-moves and strategies and all that. The only fighting game I somewhat enjoyed was IK+, because it's extremely simple and limited move-wise.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I can't stand most RPGs.

Only ones I've ever liked are Pokemon, the Fire Emblem series, and Shining in the Darkness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Any Japanese RPGs...bleugh....USA RPGs...yeah
    USA Sports games...can't stand them....Soccer games neither....Tennis or Racing....I like them a lot
    New FPSs...cannot handle them.....Old Doom style FPSs...don't mind playing them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never really gotten into racing games. While I've never really tried many of them, the ones I have played have been disappointing and uninteresting. The exceptions are Mario Kart and F-Zero. I'm actually considering trying a couple out soon, so this genre might be erased from my list.

Another one is FPS. I find nothing entertaining about the genre as a whole. I've never played an FPS game that I enjoyed, and that does include Goldeneye, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

Last but not least is sports titles. I'm all for cheap game pick ups, but I am just not a fan of recycled titles like Madden or the 2K series. There's usually an exception or two, and with sports they would be NBA Jam TE (SNES) and NFL Blitz (the N64/arcade).

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really liked strategy war games, but I actually do really like Advance Wars surprisingly, and I've really been wanting to check out StarCraft 64.
    Wild MissingNo. Has Appeared!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sports games. Other then a few arcade ones like Super Sidekicks 2, Neo Turf Masters, NBA Jam TE or Super Dodgeball I just don't have anything to do with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stealth games. I played through MGS (and Metal Gear NES if it counts) a couple times and that's it. I'd rather play through action than take my time to avoid it. The stealth sections of Metroid Zero Mission really tarnished it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No RPG, war strategy or puzzle games do it for me...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turn based strategy games don't generally appeal to me, but somehow Advance Wars manages to be fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like most RTS games, but somehow I really enjoyed Starcraft.

I don't know if there's a term for this specific style of RPG, but I can't stand Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, the Elder Scrolls series, or anything along those lines. It's not that I don't like "Western" RPGs -- I greatly enjoyed much of the Ultima series, Heimdall, most of the Might & Magic series, Eye of the Beholder, Shadowrun for Genesis, Dungeon Master, and so on.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything with pay-to-play online components. This rules out nearly all MMOs.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives