Thread: Tekken 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Default Tekken 6

Who here purchased? Thoughts? I was going to buy this game today but i've been hearing how horrible the online is with lag so I think im going to hold off for a bit. For those that have it, is the lag that bad?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It's Tekken. That should be your first warning sign.

I've had some lag against a local friend, but it wasn't atrocious. Then again, in a fighter, any lag is going to create a problem. Haven't jumped into ranked, and since I'm not fan of the series (at all), probably won't before the rental goes back.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am a big fan of Tekken and so far I like what they have done. I don't care for the forced single player game. I have played online and I haven't had much lag. I haven't played a fighting game that was perfect in online but I think that is the nature of the type of games they are. I love it but if you are not a fan of the series I wouldn't expect it to convert you or anything.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had maybe 5 laggy matches and 1 complete asshole that sent me a nasty message after the laggy match cut out.

I've only had 1 rage quitter a King user whom I was pwning as Lili.

Scenario Mode is decent but could be way better Having to unlock people to get their story mode isn't the best way to do it. Why not just integrate it into arcade mode like Oh I dont know THE 7 GAMES BEFORE THIS ONE?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedeityofhardcore View Post
    I've had maybe 5 laggy matches and 1 complete asshole that sent me a nasty message after the laggy match cut out.

I've only had 1 rage quitter a King user whom I was pwning as Lili.

Scenario Mode is decent but could be way better Having to unlock people to get their story mode isn't the best way to do it. Why not just integrate it into arcade mode like Oh I dont know THE 7 GAMES BEFORE THIS ONE?
    I agree. I prefer the original way of unlocking characters and endings.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer this game's method of unlocking characters and endings, because all characters are already unlocked for multiplayer and I've never really given a shit about endings.

As for online, I haven't bothered with it. Tekken is a game to play with friends sitting next to you, not with wankers online.

Overall, I'm happy with the game.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I've been playing this since Tuesday and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I was a bit disappointed with the single player game as it does feel very forced, but I'm just in it for the fighting anyway. I've played quite a few ranked matches and I've had one that was severely lagged, a few that were kind of lagged and about half were no lag or just slightly lagged. I seem to face more Law fighters than anyone else, and most of them are complete scrubs. I got to play against a few people (one Law and one Nina) that were fantastic and I was actually happy I lost against them since they taught me some valuable lessons. I think it's kind of a double-edged sword that you have to play online to rank past 1st Dan. If you get your promotion chance and that fight is severely lagged, which you can't control, you're totally screwed. It already happened to me once (why I'm still a 2nd Dan), and I can see it really pissing me off later on down the line. If anyone wants to fight a good Lili or a decent Baek/King, I'm your man. Just tell me you're from here if I don't already know you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I've been playing this since Tuesday and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I was a bit disappointed with the single player game as it does feel very forced, but I'm just in it for the fighting anyway. I've played quite a few ranked matches and I've had one that was severely lagged, a few that were kind of lagged and about half were no lag or just slightly lagged. I seem to face more Law fighters than anyone else, and most of them are complete scrubs. I got to play against a few people (one Law and one Nina) that were fantastic and I was actually happy I lost against them since they taught me some valuable lessons. I think it's kind of a double-edged sword that you have to play online to rank past 1st Dan. If you get your promotion chance and that fight is severely lagged, which you can't control, you're totally screwed. It already happened to me once (why I'm still a 2nd Dan), and I can see it really pissing me off later on down the line. If anyone wants to fight a good Lili or a decent Baek/King, I'm your man. Just tell me you're from here if I don't already know you.
    I'd like to learn Lili better will you be my sensi?

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing the 360 version off and on this week, and I'm not entirely impressed by it.

I'm beginning to think I should stick to the odd numbered games in the series. I missed out on the first 2 games, but I loved 3, hated 4, loved 5(DR), and I'm only so-so about 6 thus far.

Visually, the game seems like it's lacking polish. VF5 still looks much better, as does SC4. I'm not a big fan of the destructible stages either, they seem very unnecessary and feel like a cheap novelty. I don't like that ridiculous single player campaign mode either. I'm not happy about being forced to play through it to unlock stuff.

I'll give it more of a chance, but I should have got the PS3 version. I'm used to playing Tekken on a PS controller, and the 360 controller blows.

Any word on how good the PSP version is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Yea, I just got really annoyed as I had three lagged fights in a row, the first I lost my Mentor promotion chance and the next two I lost to lag as two other guys got their Mentor promotions. I know it's probably a coincidence but that really is a kick in the teeth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    I've been playing the 360 version off and on this week, and I'm not entirely impressed by it.

I'm beginning to think I should stick to the odd numbered games in the series. I missed out on the first 2 games, but I loved 3, hated 4, loved 5(DR), and I'm only so-so about 6 thus far.

Visually, the game seems like it's lacking polish. VF5 still looks much better, as does SC4. I'm not a big fan of the destructible stages either, they seem very unnecessary and feel like a cheap novelty. I don't like that ridiculous single player campaign mode either. I'm not happy about being forced to play through it to unlock stuff.

I'll give it more of a chance, but I should have got the PS3 version. I'm used to playing Tekken on a PS controller, and the 360 controller blows.

Give Tekken 2 a try. It's some good old-school "3D" fighting fun. Tekken 1 was more like an introduction to a new fighting game style and wasn't very deep (still fun though).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4 was an odd numbered game technically 4 was the 5th game.

BLAH

Also turn motion blur off, it speeds the game up and makes the graphics a lot better.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am in hate with the game right now based just on scenario mode. I don't like most of the new characters. Either make a fighting game or make an adventure game. It is really simple pick one or the other. I wouldn't mind scenario mode if it actually helped me improve my fighting skills. I just bash buttons to get through campaign because it is the only way to unlock anything. Plus Azazel is a waste of time. You can't throw him he is incredibly cheap and is just a pain in the ass. I don't even know what the story is for any of the characters. To be honest I feel lost in this game most of the time. I try to play online or arcade mode as much as I can because that is where the game truly is for me. The rest of it is just a waste of disc space.

I am really starting to understand it when people say that some Japanese developers have really lost touch on making a fun game. Don't get me wrong I am playing the hell out of Demon's Souls and love it because it punishes me for my mistakes without feeling cheap. That is my rant for Tekken 6. Everything else is fine but scenario mode and the laggy online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Ugh, scenario mode can kiss my arse. It feels like a staggeringly cheap version of Mortal Kombat's conquest mode... only not as good. (As Deception's sublime story mode- DA's and Armageddon's also sucked.) Ah well, there's still arcade mode...

Not as good as Tekken 5, not by a long shot. Disappointing.

Edit: I haven't fought Azazel yet, but it'll be interesting to see how they managed to make a character even cheaper than Jinpachi without giving him the power to remotely switch off your controller.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Ugh, scenario mode can kiss my arse. It feels like a staggeringly cheap version of Mortal Kombat's conquest mode... only not as good. (As Deception's sublime story mode- DA's and Armageddon's also sucked.) Ah well, there's still arcade mode...

Not as good as Tekken 5, not by a long shot. Disappointing.

Edit: I haven't fought Azazel yet, but it'll be interesting to see how they managed to make a character even cheaper than Jinpachi without giving him the power to remotely switch off your controller.
    Jinpachi is a cake walk compared to Azazel. It is one of the most annoying bosses in history. You can't tell if he is open to an attack or not. You can't do anything you normally do. It is beyond annoying. I also consider myself to be a pretty good tekken player. It just seems like they are stuck in the ps2 era with almost everything they thought they were improving. The core game is still really good to me. Just all the bullshit that is surrounding it is a huge turn off. Also I don't understand the fucking need to add projectiles in a game that traditionally doesnt have them. What happened to an end boss that I wanted to unlock and play as? I don't know what mode to play where I don't get pissed off about something that is broken. It's just sad and most of the "reviews" I have read mention none of this like they were paid for the review. So yea.
    Last edited by kai123; 11-02-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Apparently the key to beating the lag is to play as Steve and mash the punch buttons over and over to rack up wins. 3 of my last 5 ranked fights were to Steves, and I just lost my 4th Dan because of it (demotion is such bullshit). The bitch of it is his attacks come out crazy quick and with the lag even when I react it's always too late. Between the online crap and the stupendously bad campaign this game is getting more disappointing by the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buh?

I don't understand the hate for Scenario Mode. Right after Versus, it's my favorite game mode. My only complaint is that a buddy can't join me for co-op smackdown.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Buh?

I don't understand the hate for Scenario Mode. Right after Versus, it's my favorite game mode. My only complaint is that a buddy can't join me for co-op smackdown.
    Call me crazy, but maybe folks hate on the Scenario mode because they bought a fighting game, and don't want to play a questionable-quality beat-em-up in order to unlock additional backgrounds, outfits, etc.

I don't care for the scenario mode at all. I wish you could unlock items by playing against ghosts, like in Tekken 5 or VF5.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

scenario mode was awesome (played all the way through in 2 sittings) now just need to do all the extra stuff in it,

and all you whining that you can't unlock stuff outside of scenario mode DO know that stuff unlocks over time and amount of time you play differnt modes right? (including endings). Definatly the best fighting game i've played in years (soul calibur might be a few points above it..maybe)

also I havn't seen this problem with lag myself, I only had one laggy match and it was to an eddy player (fucking hate eddy). eitherway solid game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Call me crazy, but maybe folks hate on the Scenario mode because they bought a fighting game, and don't want to play a questionable-quality beat-em-up in order to unlock additional backgrounds, outfits, etc.

I don't care for the scenario mode at all. I wish you could unlock items by playing against ghosts, like in Tekken 5 or VF5.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the scenario mode prevalent in Tekken 3? I remember having to go through that ("CHICKEN!") to unlock some of the ending videos, so it shouldn't be anything new. I thought it was a fun twist and a lot better than just forcing you to beat the game with every character as per usual with fighters.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.