In my book, yes. A big, big yes. In fact, if this was Diablo III I would only be slightly disappointed. It's made by a lot of the guys that worked on the first two Diablo games, so it's not surprising how similar it is. And by similar, I mean it's practically identical in a lot of ways, right down to keyboard shortcuts.

I don't have time to do a full write-up, but here are some awesome things I've encountered so far.

-You have a pet that can hold items. That's pretty cool, but the real bonus is that you can send it to town at almost any time to sell items for you. That's got to be the best idea for an action-rpg I've heard in a long time. That means no more backtracking to town to sell gear, and no more "this or that" mini-game when a new drop won't fit in your inventory. It's amazing.

-I don't know how often this one occurs, but I get the feeling it's rare. I encountered a little monster called a Phase Beast mixed in with a bunch of skeletons. Upon killing the beast a portal was opened. Through the portal was a new mini dungeon with monsters that were twice the level of the monsters I'd been fighting. Not only does this bring a nice challenge, but it also means you're going to get some very nice drops and experience.

-Guns. This is kind of a fantasy-meets-steampunk game, which means you can use bows as well as guns for distant attacks. This has been great fun, as my Destroyer uses a rare rifle until the enemy gets close and then fast-swaps to dual wield two swords.

-The drop rate is perfect. This is a lootfest, and the quickest way to ruin a game like this is to mess up the drops (looking at you Too Human). You'll get a decent amount of gold and normal drops, and unique monsters will routinely drop magical items. Sprinkled in there you'll get some rares, and if you're really lucky you'll find a unique or a set item. I've played for four or five hours and have only found one set item and three uniques. The rate isn't quite as stingy as Diablo 2, but it's very close.

-This game has very low system requirements (it's even got a netbook mode). I'm playing it on a six year old 2.8ghz HP with only 512 mb of RAM and an integrated graphics card. So basically, a piece of crap. But Torchlight runs on it. Not well, but well enough for me to have put about four hours into it. I can't wait to get my new iMac home next week so I can really play.

-$20. That's the price. That will mean alot more to you after you've played the game and seen how good it is (check out the great demo). Right now it's only available through Steam and the like, but they are hoping to release a physical version early next year.

So, does anyone else have thoughts on this game?