Thread: Looking at the Jaguar in a new way....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking at the Jaguar in a new way....

Even though the Jaguar has a ton of negativity around it. I am starting to look at it as a nice stopgap between The SNES and the Playstation. I have deemed it a true 24 bit system

look at it this way...

it was the most logical choice if you couldn't afford a 3DO and didnt have a Genesis and were waiting on the PSOne

It had alot of crappy games, but had 5 good/decent ones that had good graphics compared to a PC, which were still like 1,000 dollars in 94.

Doom
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Alien vs. Predator
    Flashback
    Atari Carts
    ---------

If I had the system with those 5 games and still continued to play my SNES as a child I think it would appease my graphics fix for certain games.

If I could redo my gaming history it would be as follows
    NES
    SNES
    JAGUAR
    PSONE
    PS2
    PS3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    It had alot of crappy games, but had 5 good/decent ones that had good graphics compared to a PC, which were still like 1,000 dollars in 94.

Doom
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Alien vs. Predator
    Flashback
    Atari Carts
    No love for Iron Soldier, Hover Strike, ...Tempest 2000?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...first of all, Tempest 2000 is like the only truly great Jag game and should be mentioned.

it was the most logical choice if you couldn't afford a 3DO and didnt have a Genesis and were waiting on the PSOne
    Second, the most logical choice if you couldn't afford a 3DO (not that I wanted one) and were waiting on a PSOne would be to wait for the PSOne, save your money, and buy more games for it. That's what I did as a kid, and I don't think I was alone.

Third, I might have been cheap as a kid, but it was going to take a LOT more than five games for me to shell out the money for a system.
    Last edited by vivaeljason; 11-05-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Tempest 2000 and Rayman are pretty much it for the Jaguar, and even the latter one is much better on Playstation and Saturn.

3D0 was a glorified Sega CD really.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    How many 3DO games have you played?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Tempest 2000 and Rayman are pretty much it for the Jaguar, and even the latter one is much better on Playstation and Saturn.

Sure, if you say so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, much in the same way the GBA was a glorified game.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Doom
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Alien vs. Predator
    Flashback
    Atari Carts
    The problem with that is that most of those were availiable on other platforms at the time. Its hard to defend a system with cross-console ports...
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Baloo should really think before he posts.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I have deemed it a true 24 bit system
    Haha, what? Are you just making up numbers here? I get what you mean here, but "bits" means nothing. If you want to say it was a stopgap between the 4th generation systems and the 5th generation, that would make more sense... there are actually a lot of systems that can sort of be stuck in there, such as the 3DO, CD-i, CD32, etc. Once the PlayStation came out, basically all these lesser systems got swept out the door pretty fast.

Honestly, the better choice was to just pass on it and save up the money for a PlayStation. The Jaguar really wasn't a whole lot cheaper. Especially when you could probably get a SNES for a decent price... it might have been older with more hardware limitations, but the number of good games for it was much higher.

Doom
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Alien vs. Predator
    Flashback
    Atari Carts
    When it came out, the Jaguar version of Doom was the best you could get outside of a PC... but it was still missing a LOT of stuff, such as in-game music, all the dynamic lighting, the Blur artifact, and several enemies, including the bosses. Wolfenstein, however, remains the best version of the game in my opinion.

Alien vs. Predator was excellent back then, but really hasn't aged well. The game engine wasn't much better than Wolfenstein (and far behind Doom), and there wasn't a lot of variety in enemies. The spooky atmosphere and three playable characters really made the game good though

Flashback was available on just about every system ever made, and the Jaguar version wasn't really any better than the others (though it was still a good game).

Atari Karts is vastly inferior to Mario Kart. The graphics are slightly better, but there is no battle mode, almost no powerups (and the ones that ARE there are crummy), and the characters have no personality.

I bought a Jaguar when it first came out, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I still own it, and I've gradually amassed an almost complete library of games for it... but I can't honestly say it was great choice for anyone really. There are plenty of fun games, including stuff like Raiden (still the best home version of the game in my opinion), Tempest 2000, Power Drive Rally, Battlemorph, and other games people have already mentioned.

Unfortunately, the library of games gets really thin when you look into it. Very few 3rd parties made games for it, especially important ones like Konami, Capcom, EA, Square, etc. Important multi-console releases like Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter also never hit the Jaguar... instead we got ports of awful games like Dragon, Double Dragon V, etc.

There are several important genres that are severely underrepresented; There are no RPG's (with the exception of Towers II, which was a very late release, and is really not very good). There are only a handful of sports games, most of which are awful (NBA Jam TE is the only good one). There are a number of fighting games, but they all have crippling problems (Ultra Vortek has poor gameplay, Kasumi Ninja has awful controls, Fight For Life is too slow and choppy, and none of the combos from the arcade version (or any combos at all, for that matter) of Primal Rage worked on the Jaguar version).

Atari's marketing was terrible at the time, and most people didn't trust what they said, and didn't believe they had a real chance anymore. Everyone realized that there were three important systems still on the way from Nintendo, Sega, and Sony, and it would be just better to wait it out and see what happened. Meanwhile, there were still plenty of good games being released for the Genesis and SNES.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

. I have deemed it a true 24 bit system
    Jaguar was 3 years ahead of its time, unfortunately Atari wasn't.