Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NES Screen Problem

Insert Coin (Level 0) Crimson_Knight's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Screen Problem

I posted this over on Atari Age but, I didn't get a lot of help. The only thing I figured out was that it may have been caused by using the Genesis Power Adapter on my NES. Basically when I pop in a game and turn he system on there are wavy lines that move around on the screen. At first they went away after like 5 min. but now it takes almost 20min for them to go away. I've taken my NES apart and cleaned all the contacts both on the games and the NES and now I'm out of ideas. Here's some pics:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...MG_13887-1.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...MG_13907-1.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...MG_13917-1.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its hard to tell for sure from just taking a glance at the pics, but Im betting its signal interference. Are you using RCA composite video? If so, and your running the Nes through a video selector, try running it directly into the tv instead. I was going to say if it was more then the Nes doing it, its your tv and it could need to be degaussed or whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC-ENGINE HELL View Post
    Its hard to tell for sure from just taking a glance at the pics, but Im betting its signal interference. Are you using RCA composite video? If so, and your running the Nes through a video selector, try running it directly into the tv instead. I was going to say if it was more then the Nes doing it, its your tv and it could need to be degaussed or whatever.
    I've tried different cables and I've hooked it up to every TV in the house and it's still the same. I did try it w/ the Genesis power adaptor and the lines went from wavy to solid, diagonal lines.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Knight View Post
    I've tried different cables and I've hooked it up to every TV in the house and it's still the same. I did try it w/ the Genesis power adaptor and the lines went from wavy to solid, diagonal lines.
    You didn't answer the question. Did you hook it up with the composite A/V cable or with the RF switchbox? Those pics make it look like an RF switchbox.

Mitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    You didn't answer the question. Did you hook it up with the composite A/V cable or with the RF switchbox? Those pics make it look like an RF switchbox.

Mitch
    Sorry bout that. I hooked it up with the A/V cables.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

any idiot can tell you that not using the original or equivalant nes adapter can have massive consequences on the hardware. STOP STOP STOP!!! USING YOUR GENESIS ADAPTER AND USE OR FIND A REAL ONE!!! Unless you like having your nes look like a pile of melted plastic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Knight View Post
    Sorry bout that. I hooked it up with the A/V cables.

I think you are being very picky about the picture. My NES has been doing that for 20 years. That is normal for just about any NES that I have ever seen. Using a genesis AC adapter means nothing because it powers the NES just fine. Why do you think that 3rd party AC adapters are inter changable between NES SEGA AND Atari Jaguar?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thunderkid View Post
    I think you are being very picky about the picture. My NES has been doing that for 20 years. That is normal for just about any NES that I have ever seen. Using a genesis AC adapter means nothing because it powers the NES just fine. Why do you think that 3rd party AC adapters are inter changable between NES SEGA AND Atari Jaguar?
    Because your one of those ignorant dorks who think that if you just plug it in and it works then it must be the right adapter, when its not. Ill be happy to not buy anything from you because its probably fried.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES expects 120v AC, while the genesis expects 10v 850A DC, quite a difference my friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES is designed for 9V AC, which is then run through a bridge rectifier inside the NES and converted to DC

The Genesis supply provides 9V DC, which then passes harmessly through half of the BR and still comes out as DC on the other end.

A genesis, NES, Odyssey 2, Jaguar, TG16 supply... any of these will work with a NES.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I knew it was converted inside, but the genesis is 10 instead of 9, im looking at both the adapters right now for genny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    any idiot can tell you that not using the original or equivalant nes adapter can have massive consequences on the hardware. STOP STOP STOP!!! USING YOUR GENESIS ADAPTER AND USE OR FIND A REAL ONE!!! Unless you like having your nes look like a pile of melted plastic.
    I haven't used it in a few months. I got the correct adapter from my cousin (who gave me the NES)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops looked at input instead of output. You can still damage it by underpowering it, even though they both use 9 volts the amps are off. The nes wants 1.3 an the genny only needs 850, wich means while using the genny cord the nes wont get enough current.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't matter if it's 9V or 10V. The next step is a 7805 which can take upward of 35V, or as low as 7.5V.

NES power supplies are overrated for the NES console. The rating on the bottom of the console is listed at around 800 or 850mA (been awhile since I've looked so I don't recall the exact number).

Also, the Genesis AC adapter you have, the one rated at 850mA, doesn't really fit in the NES power jack. The Sega 1602 adapter does, and it's 9V 1.2A. I'd put my money on the OP using that adapter.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because your one of those ignorant dorks who think that if you just plug it in and it works then it must be the right adapter, when its not. Ill be happy to not buy anything from you because its probably fried.

First of all don't call me an ignorant dork. I know what I'm telling you. Yes the NES expects AC current. The internal regulator converts it to DC. Plugging in a Genesis DC adapter does nothing to the console. You just bypassed the DC conversion stage. You are feeding direct DC power to the NES, instead of it converting AC to DC. Hell half the NES consoles sold on ebay come with 3rd party DC adpaters. You will only have problems if you plug the NES AC adapter into a Genesis or TG16 or Jaguar. Machine expects DC you give it AC and before you know it, its dead. Please refrain from calling others names, as some of us know what we are talking about.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ha, wow, from someone who probably cant even replace a cap or a regulator, and probably doesnt even have any degrees or experience in the matter at hand. I based my answer on the fact that I happened to use a genny adaptor on my first nes when I killed the original one by having it get yanked out of the wall, smashing it. So, silly me places genny adapter into nes, and goodbye nes and adapter in a nice little puff of smoke. Ive had a few incidents using the wrong adapter, and after my nes died ill never do it again.

oh and the fact that I have a nice little piece of paper coming to me that says I know what im talking about and can tell my toes from my fingers. Good day sir.
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 11-10-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ha, wow, from someone who probably cant even replace a cap or a regulator, and probably doesnt even have any degrees or experience in the matter at hand. I based my answer on the fact that I happened to use a genny adaptor on my first nes when I killed the original one by having it get yanked out of the wall, smashing it. So, silly me places genny adapter into nes, and goodbye nes and adapter in a nice little puff of smoke. Ive had a few incidents using the wrong adapter, and after my nes died ill never do it again.

oh and the fact that I have a nice little piece of paper coming to me that says I know what im talking about and can tell my toes from my fingers. Good day sir.
    There you go again talking. I work in the electronics industry. I have been for the past 10 years. I am a manufacturing engineer that deals with surface mount, thru hole and mixed technology. I can rework and solder very well thank you. I also have a piece of paper that tells me that I know what I'm doing, but I guess any one can get one these days. Anyway, as others have said above. a GENNY adapter WILL NOT kill your NES. I don't know what you plugged in to your NES so many years ago, but it should not have killed your NES if it was a GENNY adapter. I am ending this now with this ... a GENNY adapter WILL NOT kill your NES!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gokugohandave, you should respectfully back away from this topic and leave it to those who know what they are talking about. What your doing isnt helping the op. Posting what would be fear provoking hyperbole for possible noobs to read about melting Nes decks, confusing mis-information about using a Genesis 2 power supply on Nes, which isn't even possible, as they use different plug types, does not help the situation for the op, or anyone else or may end up with a similar issue.

You not even knowing the specifics on what the Nes actually requires power wise, or anything about this subject it seems, just makes it worse that you are posting insults here at others. Your advice is all built around misinformation. Even if you somehow had a Nes go up in smoke once, there's more then one explanation for that happening anyway, and your experience would not define everyone else's experiences. If you cant respectfully back away from it, then refrain from posting, and instead read and learn from people who know what they are talking about.

To the op, one guess on this is that the issue is due to your tv itself. It may be needing to be re-calibrated or serviced. This problem you are having, if that is indeed the case, may not be noticed on other systems that or stuff that presents more detail on screen, but is probably still present anyway. It could be thats why after a bit the issue goes away. Im only making this guess on the fact you are using composite cables and by what Im seeing in the pictures you posted.

Its really hard to make a solid judgment on still pics alone. I guess I should ask, does this curved like interference stuff present on the screen move any when the game is paused, like in waves kinda, or just stay still? That would tell me alot more. If it stays still, then yea, its a issue with your TV most likely, and servicing it could fix it. I have a Samsung 19 inch CRT that presented a similar issue to what Im seeing in your pics, but kinda near the corners of the screen, and after I re-calibrated that got rid of the issue. Id also recommend hitting up the AV forums if that is the case. If your tv does need to be re-calibrated, you can get solid advice there on how to do so. If the stuff moves on screen when the game is paused,rapidly or whatever, then Im betting you have some kinda interference going on. In that case, you could try moving the Tv and Nes to a different wall outlet, and hook nothing else up, just the Nes directly to the Tv, and see what happens.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually do know what im talking about, but I guess working an 18 hours shift on a job dealing with this stuff and a simple mistake at posting the wrong information because of that is what this is all about.I never whatsoever said the words "a genny adapter will fit into an nes", so hows that for misinformation? I was done already.I was simply stating the difference in power requirements. And based on my experience from what I have seen, never use an adapter that was not made or matches the requirments of your device. I was also stating that using the wrong adapter can cause a very large range of malfunctions in many cases and could very well be the OP's trouble as hes experiencing it.
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 11-10-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks pc-enginehell. Like I said before, I have the same issue with my NES. The problem happens with any AC adapter used or with AV or RF. I always assumed that the problem was the NES itself. I never gave it much thought and just continued playing. Now I have to go home and check if my top loader NES is doing the same thing.