Thread: A few of my QBasic games

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Default A few of my QBasic games

I was going though some of my old floppy disks and ran across a bunch of old Qbasic games and demos I made. Only a few were "finished" and playable as games so I thought I'd share them with you guys.

You can download the games as well as Qbasic >here<

Spaceships

This one was a big hit in my high school electronis class. It's a two player arcade style game. The object is to shoot down your oppenent in three shots. To control the ship, push the direction you want to go. The ship will only turn 90 degrees each time and will keep moving straight until turning again.

Pressing the fire button while moving left or right will will shoot a laser beam in that direction. 3 direct hits will destroy the other ship. Watch out though, as the explosion can destroy your ship as well if you're too close.

The controls are just a tad hard to get used to at first but ends up adding a bit of stradegy and keeps the game from being too easy.

Glitches I never fixed:
    The ships erase the starfield background as they pass over it. The laser beams also never go away once on the screen, although you can erase them with your ship(The only hurt you when first fired). These were annoyances for sure, but it never really distracted from gameplay.

---------------------------------------------
    3-D MAZE

A pseudo 3d maze game. The object is to find your way out in the shortest amount of time. The game starts with you looking north and three directions to choose from. The door behind you is locked. To get out you must travel through the different rooms looking for secret items to help you along the way. If you come to a dead end, push the back arrow to turn around...not walk backwards. Also, watch out for the trap door, you will have to start somewhere else if you fall in!

Improvements:
    I could have been made a little more intuitive to control and move around. It was easy to loose track of which direction you were facing. Adding a "map" that shows your general location might have been a good idea as well.

---------------------------------------------

Well, there you have it. Let me know what you guys think(please keep in mind that I made these in high school about 15 years ago before ever taking a programming class)

Also, if you made any QBasic games, feel free to dig out those old disks and add them here.
    Last edited by jb143; 11-13-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...