Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 3DO M2 collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My 3DO M2 collection

I began collecting for the 3DO system about nine years ago and one day when I get the time (and room to take things out of boxes) I'll get some pictures taken of everything. While the 3DO collection will have to wait, I recently put most of my M2 collection together to grab the images you see below.

This represents about seven years of searching/collecting for the M2 and shows most of the hardware that I have (not including the Konami arcade hardware, and a few other odds and ends).

I will probably take some pictures of them running software a little later and update the post at that time.

Enjoy

The two all white consoles in the pictures below contain just the CD drive hardware and support circuitry for communicating with the M2 development system.
    The multi-colored console is an early prototype which contains all of the M2 hardware, but requires a BIOS to be loaded (WIP).
    The all black console is a fully functioning M2. It plays M2 software and VCD's.
    Two of the pictures have M2 prototype control pads hooked up to the consoles.

The two pictures below show a couple of M2 development kits. The large white box on the right is a factory sealed kit, and the large white box on the left has been opened with its contents displayed around it.

continued...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The pictures below show various versions of the M2 Nubus cards included with the M2 development kits (or independent of them). Also pictured is a CD emulation card and a couple close-ups of the prototype M2 control pads.

The picture below shows a couple of the released products endowed with the M2 chipset. Both the FZ-35S and FZ-55 units are shown below, and both have M2 hardware. They were used as point-of-sale/interest media kiosks as well as various other applications.

The last couple of pictures here show a little of the mountains of paperwork I have accumulated over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow this is just amazing, purely awesome, never seen alot of this stuff before. IIRC, I think I bought a factory sealed kit from you on Ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the amazing comment, but I have to wonder: where in the blue hell did you find all of this stuff?
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thirded! Though never a true believer of 3D0 (I had one with like 60 games, sold it all off), I was always intrigued by teh M2 drama as it would have been a direct contender with the PlayStation.

Aren't the square decks just CD-Rom drives? Or like, if you actually programmed something on the dev hardware, would it have run on the deck?

Awesome stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And was the black unit the finalized version of the casing? I thought they were still trying to decide what design the console would have been when the project got the axe (or that's at least what I vaguely remember).

It's odd that they decided to use Nubus cards for development, when Apple was going PCI around that time. I guess post-release development kits would be PCI based, once the console went mainstream.

Since the games were being developed on Macs, what kind of development software did they have for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

That is just 100% pure awesome. Thanks for taking all those pictures.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome accomplishment man! Can't wait to see the rest of the 3DO collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bgreenlee's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing. Care to share any stories of how you tracked this stuff down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MarriottGuy

I am truly impressed. I have seen your collection before at Assemblers - I have only the FZ-35S and some software (holding back my jealousy). I have been working on the 'Hands On' review portion for this system, but undoubtedly you could do much better than I. Your thoughts\insights on the M2 would be appreciated. Drop me a PM\email to discuss.

The referenced M2 page (which Timo\Borman have previously contributed to):
    http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-3do_m2.htm

Terry
    Last edited by Marriott_Guy; 09-10-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Terry | Marriott_Guy

Video Game Console Library | http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    And was the black unit the finalized version of the casing? I thought they were still trying to decide what design the console would have been when the project got the axe (or that's at least what I vaguely remember).

It's odd that they decided to use Nubus cards for development, when Apple was going PCI around that time. I guess post-release development kits would be PCI based, once the console went mainstream.

Since the games were being developed on Macs, what kind of development software did they have for it?
    The black unit was actually released and sold to industrial users. I recall we had two of them and a fully working dev card equipped Mac for doing interactive training videos at the municipality I worked at in the mid-90s. While it is probably hardware identical to what they would have sold as the M2 gaming unit, I don't believe that most of the licensees would have stuck with that case design had it actually been released as a consumer product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The black unit was actually released and sold to industrial users. I recall we had two of them and a fully working dev card equipped Mac for doing interactive training videos at the municipality I worked at in the mid-90s. While it is probably hardware identical to what they would have sold as the M2 gaming unit, I don't believe that most of the licensees would have stuck with that case design had it actually been released as a consumer product.
    We used the M2 (they were called something else) units for kiosks in our automotive showrooms. I say "M2" but I'm sure if they kept developing the unit as a game system then it would of had some different specs. The prototypes in this listing are much more stylized and game centric then the kiosk units we had.
    Last edited by Clownzilla; 11-16-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mindblowing!!! Thank you for sharing.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That controller looks atrocious. Have you ever tried collecting the M2 arcade games that Konami released?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but have any of the M2 games ever leaked out? I'd specifically be interest in the M2 version of D2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow and I thought the M2 was just talk. Nice collection and thanks for the pics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, it's been a long road

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    I second the amazing comment, but I have to wonder: where in the blue hell did you find all of this stuff?

Various places, including everyone's favorite auction site. Although, the rarer pieces were acquired outside of auction sites. A lot of perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Aren't the square decks just CD-Rom drives?

The all-white decks are basically just the CD-ROM drives (with some communicatin circuitry). The black and multi-colored units have full M2 hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Marriott_Guy View Post
    I am truly impressed. I have seen your collection before at Assemblers - I have only the FZ-35S and some software (holding back my jealousy). I have been working on the 'Hands On' review portion for this system, but undoubtedly you could do much better than I. Your thoughts\insights on the M2 would be appreciated. Drop me a PM\email to discuss.

The referenced M2 page (which Timo\Borman have previously contributed to):
    http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-3do2.htm

Terry

Will do. I'll try to get in touch with you in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by bombman View Post
    That controller looks atrocious. Have you ever tried collecting the M2 arcade games that Konami released?

The casing for the control pads is from a cheap 3rd party 3DO control pad manufacturer and just used during the development stages. I have images of one of the intended release game pads that I will post. The black M2 console pictured in the first post has an image of the pad (resembles N64 pad) in it's BIOS and is displayed in the menu during VCD playback.

And yes, I have the Konami arcade games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paet View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but have any of the M2 games ever leaked out? I'd specifically be interest in the M2 version of D2.

No, not leaked. There are games though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Bitrate, any luck on an online repository for all of your 3DO related information?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Hey Bitrate, any luck on an online repository for all of your 3DO related information?

I have been chipping away at it little by little. I have a large portion of my imports tripple scanned (front, back, spine) with serial #'s and so forth. Same for US releases. I have mountains of more work to do though.
    I am currently trying to get the last of the games scanned (and all of the variants) before moving on to the peripherals. Even when that is done, there's a ton more to do. But, at least at that point I'll have plenty of material things rolling.