Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Default Anyone beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii yet?

2 other friends and I just finished it up, I have to say that it is one of the greatest games I have ever played and by far the best Wii game yet! We didn't 100% it just beat the final boss on a quick runthrough.

My main problems with it were the 2 toad characters having no name and not speaking english, but it was alright.

The game play was AMAZING, by far some of the most creative and fun bosses in a Mario game and one of the most brutal and epic final boss battles ever.

What is everyone else's thoughts? I absolutely love it.. and the red case was a nice touch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How you already get it?....dosen't even come out here till today, you already finished it up?...WOW plan to take my time with it when I get it on tuesday from amazon, can wait a few days when I only paid $38 for it:-). Really looking forward to it as it's one of my most wanted games this fall!.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I plan on picking it up this week but probably won't get serious about playing it until the Thanksgiving break when I have some free time.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll be picking it up today. I just don't when I'm going to have time to play it, I'm to addicted to Modern Warfare 2 online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gotta admit it looks great.

The type of game they should have been making since day 1, I still gotta buy a Wii though, more sidescrolling goodness ftw. I'm sure it's heavenly.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Hell no. I plan on enjoying this game like a fine wine... taking my time and savoring every level.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

My brother, a friend, and I picked this up and beat it together a few days ago on Friday night, and we had an absolute BLAST! Almost constant laughing and fun. Gotta admit tho that we quieted down a bit trying to finish off those harder levels in World 8. They were pleasantly challenging... which is a nice change of pace from other way-too-easy 2D Nintendo offerings. But yeah... great game.

My only beef with it is the motion controls. It really bugs me that the classic controller isn't compatible with the game because you have to do these stupid waggle motions to make Mario flutter in the air and pick up objects. That's REALLY annoying... and kinda difficult to get the hang of when a seasoned 2D veteran like myself has instincts to actually press buttons instead of make motions... ESPECIALLY in a 2D side-scroller. For cryin out loud Nintendo, save that motion crap for Wii Sports! Or at least give us the option to play without it.

Other than that tho, awesome game. My brother and I are gonna get together tomorrow and finish off collecting the rest of the star coins and unlocking more secrets. Should be fun. I hope we continue to get 2D offerings on consoles instead of handhelds only.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    My only beef with it is the motion controls. It really bugs me that the classic controller isn't compatible with the game because you have to do these stupid waggle motions to make Mario flutter in the air and pick up objects.
    I picked it up today and the motion controls suck. I wish I could use the classic controller too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am almost at the end of World 6 now. I found a cannon that took me to World 8 and I tried it briefly too! I won't be playing that much this week but plan on I will surely finish it next week-end.

So far so good. It is a lot harder at 3-4 players than 2 players. So crowded lol.. but so much fun =)
    From the Alpha... to the Omega

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sucks; I want to play it but I can't use gamepads! I wonder if I can build a joystick by padhacking a wiimote and controlling the motion controls with switches somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is at the top of my holiday wish list and I expect to receive it from someone, although I do have a $100 gift card to Target if I get impatient.

Everything I have seen from the game makes it look like I'll be in for a treat when I get my hands on it. I'll take my time with it though and probably play through the entire game with my wife in co-op play. My question is simple - is the single player mode and the 2 player co-op mode the same levels, leading to the same outcome in the end? I'm sure the answer is yes but I plan on playing through the game in single player mode to go for 100% when I'm finished playing the game with my wife, who will probably not be as dedicated to obtaining 100% like me.
    Kevin
    Blog | Twitter | Twitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a Wii but my brother does, and he was planning on asking for the game for Christmas. However, as the launch date neared, he said "Screw it I'm not waiting til Christmas" and I had the pleasure of playing the game some last night. I have been enjoying the game, although I only played for the first several worlds before I had to depart, thanks to college duties. Seems very fun however, and I am happy that Nintendo went back to their SMB3/W roots with this game, as those were some of my favourites in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    My only beef with it is the motion controls. It really bugs me that the classic controller isn't compatible with the game because you have to do these stupid waggle motions to make Mario flutter in the air and pick up objects. That's REALLY annoying... and kinda difficult to get the hang of when a seasoned 2D veteran like myself has instincts to actually press buttons instead of make motions... ESPECIALLY in a 2D side-scroller. For cryin out loud Nintendo, save that motion crap for Wii Sports! Or at least give us the option to play without it.
    I agree 100%. I had a NES controller in my hand since I was 3, and I am just not used to the motion.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only complaint I have about the game is the motion control, too. Why can't you pick up items ala SMB 2? It would have been nice to have it as an option at least.

I wouldn't quite rank it up with SMB1 or 3 (my favorites), but it's definitely better than any other Mario game I've played. I'd rank it a little above Super Mario World.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I played it at VGXPO and I must say I was impressed with the game. I'm getting it as a gift this week sometime.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I LIKE the game so far but I dont LOVE it yet. I agree with the annoyance of the motion controls but, for some reason, I also dislike the way MArio runs. this is just like the DS version so it seems natural. It just seems that, compared to other Mario games, it takes longer for him to gain speed...like he has some heavy backpack on and struggles to run faster..

Like I siad, I like the game os far though. I still easily prefer SMB 1-3 and World over this...but I will give it time to see if it grows on me...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I LIKE the game so far but I dont LOVE it yet. I agree with the annoyance of the motion controls but, for some reason, I also dislike the way MArio runs. this is just like the DS version so it seems natural. It just seems that, compared to other Mario games, it takes longer for him to gain speed...like he has some heavy backpack on and struggles to run faster.
    Are you playing the game on an HDTV or a regular CRT television? First time I played the game was on my HDTV and the delay of the controls caused by HD made Mario feel really heavy and sluggish. The next time I played it, I hooked my Wii up to my classic CRT television, and the control was MUCH better. No more sluggishness... Mario actually did what I wanted him to do WHEN I wanted. No split second delays from button press to action.

So, as pretty as the game looks on an HDTV, it plays much better on a CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't wait get it today from amazon, the UPS guy should drop it off anytime today, hopefuly before I go to work. Got it for $36.94 w/1 day shipping so really happy!. Got this and 3 other games coming today and tomorrow from amazon:-).

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

It's not bad, but Mario's added "weight" and the motion controls do take some of the fun out of it for me. I love how the game recommends I use the star coins to buy guides from the castle.

"you suck so use our hint system"
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am interested by Red Warrior's observation about play on HDTV and CRT. I hope to have the best of both worlds I have a Sony HDTV which is CRT. I don't have the game yet, but hopefully under the Christmas tree in my home this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
    I am interested by Red Warrior's observation about play on HDTV and CRT. I hope to have the best of both worlds I have a Sony HDTV which is CRT. I don't have the game yet, but hopefully under the Christmas tree in my home this year.
    Lag was something I was worried about before NSMBWii was released. It's not usually a huge deal when playing a 3D game like Zelda: Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime, but 2D games that require super-precise reflexes like New Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man 9 (and most virtual console games for that matter) suffer greatly from lag. The gameplay just wasn't designed for it at all.

Here's a link dealing with HDTVs and lag that portnoyd posted in another thread. I found it to be very helpful:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558125
    Last edited by Red Warrior; 11-17-2009 at 11:44 AM.