Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I think it's unfair to talk about quality 32X and Sega CD games (see: Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic CD, Snatcher) in a Genesis/SNES comparison. I mean, in the specific question, it's Genesis games, not Genesis plus Add-Ons.
    Well, here something for you to chew on:

Can you play the Sega CD and 32x games WITHOUT the Genesis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, yes you can; there was always the CDX. Regardless, I never considered the Sega CD or 32X to be a part of the Genesis, and I didn't consider their games to be Genesis games. Just my opinion, of course.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Actually, yes you can; there was always the CDX. Regardless, I never considered the Sega CD or 32X to be a part of the Genesis, and I didn't consider their games to be Genesis games. Just my opinion, of course.
    The CDX was a Genesis and Sega CD built into one unit...

IMO, Add-on means exactly that. It's an add-on to the Genesis. It can't stand alone, therefore it must be part of the Genesis and it's library of games.

That's my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fahlim003
    Genesis

Not without bias as I owned a Genesis from early on and only got a Super Nintendo from a friend for free many years after the generation was over. That's not to say I don't recognize the quality in SNES, but I've never looked back on the time spent on my Mk1 Genesis as anything but fun. No regrets. Games like Sonic, EarthWorm Jim 1 & 2, Jurassic Park (and Rampage Edition), NHL 94 & 95, Ristar, and Cool Spot were really enjoyable and even with many SNES games topping these in my favour over time, it's again a question of whether I'd trade the time I spent on those over a SNES which I didn't have or own.

At this point in time, my tastes are more specific to pick-up and play type games like beat-em-up's and shooters and as such the Genesis better caters to this appetite. If I have any regrets, it's not having the foresight in the past to pick up games like Contra Hard Corps, Lightening Force (TF4), Ghouls 'N Ghosts, and Gunstar Heroes when it was current as these make up some of the most interesting games around, for me at least. SNES has still got it though with games like F-Zero, Super Castlevania 4, Space Megaforce, & Yoshi's Island but it just doesn't have the same resonance of nostaglia and feedback as my Genny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    For everything listed on both sides I can come up with another game I liked to counter it.

compilations of past exclusive games:
    Super Mario All-Stars Sonic Classics 3-in-1

exclusive platformers of actual company owned characters:
    Super Mario World / Sonic the Hedgehog
    Yoshi's Island / Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Donkey Kong Country / Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Donkey Kong Country 2 / Sonic & Knuckles
    Donkey Kong Country 3 / Sonic CD
    Kirby Super Star / Sonic 3D Blast
    Kirby's Dream Land 3 / Knuckles Chaotix

draw

The Nintendo franchise character platformers seem to break even with Sonic here if you count the add-ons.
    No arguments here, although the DKC games without a doubt rocked the sales charts and with good reason. They made sure the SNES had the lead exiting that generation. Interesting mention of the Sonic Classics 3-in-1, I forgot about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell
    well-known platform shooters:
    Super Metroid / Vectorman
    Mega Man X / Vectorman 2
    Mega Man X 2 / Mega Man: The Wily Wars
    Mega Man X 3 / Gunstar Heroes

draw
    I guess this is a draw. Who're the winners though? I wager Super Metroid, Vectorman 2, MMX2, & Gunstar. SM & GSH are the sure bets for me anyway.

puzzles:
    Wario's Woods / Columns
    Tetris & Dr. Mario / Super Columns
    Kirby's Avalanche / Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Tetris Attack / Columns III

another draw...
    Personally I cannot stand the Genesis puzzle titles, no love for Puyo Puyo or Columns over here. I'd give it to the SNES overall.

RPGs:
    Final Fantasy 4 / Phantasy Star 2
    Final Fantasy 6 / Phantasy Star 3
    Chrono Trigger / Phantasy Star 4
    Secret of Mana / Shining Force
    Secret of Evermore / Shining Force 2
    Illusion of Gaea / Shining Force CD
    Zelda 3 / Shining in the Darkness
    Wizardry 5 / Vay
    Earthbound / Lunar
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest / Lunar 2
    Ys 3 / Ys 3
    The SNES really shines here methinks. Although I have great respect and get lots of enjoyment out of the Shining Force's (pardon CD, which is balls hard). Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis might be a better candidate that SitD for ALTTP I think.

Good idea in making some comparisons though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Before I make some academic points, I'm gonna point out that Mario was alright but E-SWAT and Shinobi games kick his butt in the platforming action department. Mario does great simply because of the range of games in it; I hate trying to control the inertia-driven 2D Mario titles, but there's Mario games even for me, like SMRPG (it's alright) and perhaps SMWII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus View Post
    In any way I look at it, the SNES had way more and better games than the Genesis ever did
    Wiki sez: SNES 785 (that's all territories), Mega Drive 914.

What's Jim Power doing in your list? I'd take Risky Woods or something way before that one (and neither is my favorite type of platformer). It's not a system exclusive besides - it got a PC-Engine CD-ROM port (with awesome CD music), and more topically was also on the Genesis. It's got a different name there but I believe it's the same game. Same obnoxious game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    For everything listed on both sides I can come up with another game I liked to counter it
    It's worth mentioning that although the Super Turrican games (AND Rendering Ranger!) are unique to the SNES / SFC, the Mega Drive got three Turrican games, more or less, including Mega Turrican which would become Turrican III on the Amiga.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-16-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Wiki sez: SNES 785 (that's all territories)
    Nuh-uh. That's how many unique games were released between the US and Europe. That's not even counting Japan at all. Japan got nearly 1500 games alone, so if you add in the games that didn't come out in Japan, it should be well over 1500. And that's not counting Satellaview releases either.

That total does seem correct for worldwide Genesis releases, though, so in terms of which has more, I'd say at a bare minimum that the SNES has at least 700 more titles (an additional amount big enough to be its own large library for another system).
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 11-16-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

todesengel
    Genesis

I got a Genesis over the SNES in 1992 after seeing Sonic 1 on the demo kiosk at a Toys R Us. I was also kinda tired of Nintendo at that point, I had an NES and everybody I knew had either an NES or was getting the SNES. For me though the Genesis is still my favorite and I own more games for it then any other console. I just feel that the Genesis has a great selection of games over tons of genre's plus unlike the SNES you can get them for so much cheaper. I rather take a hit in the graphics and sound department to have a fun game any day.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    What adventure games are on SNES? All I can recall for either system, excluding Sega CD, is that Scooby Doo game and one or two Star Trek games.
    Well, I'm setting action-adventure to be part of adventure. Included in this are:

-Super Metroid
    -Legend of Zelda
    -Beyond Oasis
    -Landstalker
    -Wonder Boy in Monster World

In other words, anything that lets you manipulate your character freely, but is too non-linear to be a platformer.

Also, I find it weird that people are comparing Vectorman to Super Metroid. Wouldn't Wonder Boy in Monster World be a better comparison to Super Metroid?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's really rather silly to try to compare the Genesis's RPG library to the SNES's, and this is from someone who adores the Shining Force games. A few gems aside, RPG support on the Genesis can't hold a candle to the support the SNES got (and if we were to throw in Super Famicom and Mega Drive, it would be even more of a joke).
    Although I'd still give SNES the edge in RPGs, the difference isn't as vast as most people say, IMO. The real big difference is that Sega had few "traditional jRPGs", in favor of other styles. SNES had that one type of RPG in spades. I like 'em and everything, but I also enjoy others. If "RPG" to you only means Final Fantasy and its ilk, Genesis is a joke, but when you include games like TechnoClash, it does pretty well.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's unfair to talk about quality 32X and Sega CD games (see: Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic CD, Snatcher) in a Genesis/SNES comparison. I mean, in the specific question, it's Genesis games, not Genesis plus Add-Ons.
    Nobody excludes CD games from Turbografx conversations, and nobody counts the Aladdin Deck Enhancer as its own system. I say, add-ons count. A 32x game is just a Genesis game that requires extra equipment, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Well, I'm setting action-adventure to be part of adventure. Included in this are:

-Super Metroid
    -Legend of Zelda
    -Beyond Oasis
    -Landstalker
    -Wonder Boy in Monster World
    The latter three are action-RPG, not action-adventure (although Wonder Boy is arguable). Nor do I think action-adventure should be lumped in with regular adventure games. Aside from a couple of games that straddle the line, they play and "feel" completely different.

In other words, anything that lets you manipulate your character freely, but is too non-linear to be a platformer.
    Linearity has nothing to do with it. Out of This World is an action-adventure game and is almost completely linear. Although, it is true that you can't really have a non-linear game that's just a pure platformer, because you have to give the player some sort of destination and reason to explore. But this leads to "platform adventures", which is just a subcategory of action-adventure (and they can be linear).

Also, I find it weird that people are comparing Vectorman to Super Metroid. Wouldn't Wonder Boy in Monster World be a better comparison to Super Metroid?
    Super Metroid doesn't really have any comparison on Genesis, aside from the little-known Phantom 2040. Monster World does have a similar structure, but plays very differently. Vectorman is just a platform-shooter like Mega Man, totally not comparable.
    Last edited by j_factor; 11-17-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Damaramu
    Genesis

The Genesis had more games that appealed to my gaming sensibilities. Action, platformers, shooters, etc. And IMO, the 6-button Genesis controller beats the SNES controller hands down when it comes to fighting games.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKonker View Post
    Hey guys, i know this is my first post but i was wondering if you could help me out.

As im still in college, i've been set some course work where i have to compare peoples opinions between 2 consoles.

Everyone in my group is doing 360 vs PS3.

Im being different.

So this is the info I'm going to need:

Username:
    Reasoning:

I was told by the guys at Retrogamer.net:

So, does anyone want to help?
    What is this? Some sort of college project? You gonna mine the data from the thread for some class project?

Old_ass_gamer
    Both
    'cause...

Also, why does the SNES have to "VS" the Genesis? Why can't we just like both? Or like one and not really give a crap about the other one?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because no matter how much you enjoy both, you have to have some sort of definable preference. To me, someone saying that they are total equals just means that they are lying to make friends... And where's the honesty or fun in that position? Weak!

Another factor I neglected to add... The venerable M68k! IDK if there are more convincing factors on the development side than an already ubiquitous and familiar architecture.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 11-17-2009 at 03:52 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Console:Genesis
    Reason:Grew up with it.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metmknice
    Console: Both, they both have their qualities to me.

Unless I did not read EVERYTHING, I am surprised no one mentiond Super MarioKart (one of the greatest racing games of all time). I did not have a SNES growing up, I had a Genesis. I also really enjoy Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, and LTTP to name a few. I know it was on both systems, but I found Lost Vikings much easier to play on the Genesis. I definitely did like the fact that there was more blood/gore on the genesis as well. And as far as the controller not only do I think the 6 buttons are placed better, but the d-pad was better as well.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zebbe
    Mega Drive
    Blast Processing.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MeTmKnice View Post
    And as far as the controller not only do I think the 6 buttons are placed better, but the d-pad was better as well.
    I do not like the Genesis controllers. It has the same problem as the units themselves: too many models, too many revisions. There's three versions of the 3-button controller. There's also three totally different 6-button controllers, and from what I've seen, all have their flaws. The redesigned "rocker" dpad, which is found on the 6-button controllers and late 3-button controllers is really good. The button layout on the controllers are great as well.

The shape on any of the controllers is just awkward though. The 3-button controllers are ridiculously big for no reason. The only extra buttons it has over the SMS controller are Start and C, yet they increased the size twofold. The 6-button controller is better, though I find the grips to be too long for a controller like that. I have the Majesco 6-button with the blue Start button and, while nice and small, it's way thicker than it needs to be.

The Saturn controller is Sega's best digital controller IMO. That's how the 6-button Genesis controller should've been.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

Buttonmasher123
    Genesis

I chose the Genesis because I loved the Sonic games and all the best Sonic games came out for the Genesis while I always thought Super Mario 3 was better than Super Mario World. Sega was always better in sports games and action games too and those are two of my favorite genre's. SNES seems to be a system for RPG lovers which is a genre I'm not too fond of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Fuyukaze
    SNES

Close call as both offered great games but the SNES was and still remains the system I go to for my gaming wants. The Genesis had more strat games, and great ones with titles like shining force and general chaos. Also had great RPGs like the Phantasy Star series and others. Thing is, the SNES had some of my favorite RPG series of all time. Final Fantasy 2 and 3, Lufia 1 and 2, Arcana, Wizardry, and so many more. Sadly most of the best strat games were left in Japan but those we did get were enough to keep me happy. Ogre Battle, Civilization, and a couple others were games I still love playing to this day. The one thing the SNES failed at was shooters. Anyone who played Gradius III knows exactly what I'm talking about. The Genesis hands down wins with shooters. Neither offered much in racing games I was happy with though and I was never into the whole Sonic vs Mario bit. Basicly I thought the Genesis was a great system but the SNES just out did it for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Nobody excludes CD games from Turbografx conversations, and nobody counts the Aladdin Deck Enhancer as its own system. I say, add-ons count. A 32x game is just a Genesis game that requires extra equipment, IMO.
    Fair points about the Turbografx CD games. I respectfully retract my issues, because I've always considered the TurboCD games as part of the TG16 library.

When including Sega CD and 32X games in the discussion, the debate gets more even between the SNES and Genesis. I still have to go with the SNES though; it's just the system I prefer for reasons already stated.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    The only extra buttons it has over the SMS controller are Start and C, yet they increased the size twofold.
    SMS pads also give you cancer!

Sega IR wireless 6-button pads FTW. I still get slightly irritated when the Wavebird is toted as the first ever 1st party wireless standard controller. *coughbullshitcough* Genesis does then dies, then Nintendo does ~10 years latter and takes all the credit...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives