Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Anybody Tell Me Whats up With this Game?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can Anybody Tell Me Whats up With this Game?

I have multiple copies of this game, but this one was heavier than the others. I opened the game and this was inside. The second I opened had only two chips, and no writing on them. Why is this one different?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What game is it??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry about that, the picture is a little fuzzy. Its Donkey Kong

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    What game is it??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Looks like Donkey Kong for Colecovision?

Anyway, those three chips are EPROMS, which are usually used for prototypes and pre-production versions before the game is mass produced.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it could be a prototype? How would I find that out?

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    Looks like Donkey Kong for Colecovision?

Anyway, those three chips are EPROMS, which are usually used for prototypes and pre-production versions before the game is mass produced.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojohnny View Post
    So it could be a prototype? How would I find that out?
    Is there any difference between the two games?

Is there a different label (or lack therof one?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was worth a MILLION dollars... and then you opened it up!

JK. Neat find though, good catch on the weights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj

Neat find, at least. I don't know if it's worth anything. The only part I know about eproms is that my SNES reproduction carts are made with them.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Instead of looking at the games themselves, how about firing up the old console and seeing if there are any differences in the two games?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a fine idea...but I dont really know what I would be looking for to be different. Obvious things would stand out, but what if it is something obscure? I play PS2, XBox, and Wii...I would really dont much to look for.

I have read some of the postingshere and I see a lot of tech talk that I am not familiar with. In spite of sounding dumb or naive, can anybody tell me what common differences might be?

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Instead of looking at the games themselves, how about firing up the old console and seeing if there are any differences in the two games?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDWuhkHHpw

does a reference video help?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Thats a fine idea...but I dont really know what I would be looking for to be different. Obvious things would stand out, but what if it is something obscure? I play PS2, XBox, and Wii...I would really dont much to look for.

I have read some of the postings here and I see a lot of tech talk that I am not familiar with. In spite of sounding dumb or naive, can anybody tell me what common differences might be?

The potential differeneces could be almost too numerous to mention, but obvious ones would include

* Title screen differences (including copyrights, fonts, logos)
    * Character sprites / item sprites
    * Level differences
    * Scoring differences
    * Music / sound effects

But i'm no Coleco guy so I could be missing some other in your face things beyond those above.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This definitely appears to be a Donkey Kong prototype from the pictures. Congrats on the find!

DK was released in 1982 fpr the colecovision, but I'm having trouble finding out which month. Your car appears to be labeled July of '82. If you find out when DK was officially released, you can get a better idea of how early your build is.

Are the chips socketed or soldered? If they're socketed, they should be easy to dump.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate any tips and information.

How valuable are these types of things? I have little interest in this hobby, and I am sure somebody else would rather have this.

I have a lot more blank carts and pics of the insides, the chips all have writing on them. Most just the name, some with dates and numbers.

I really dont know how collectible these games are, so I am glad that I can find some help on the boards.
    Last edited by jumbojohnny; 11-17-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any experience with pre-game-crash prototype collecting attampts, but... Prototypes are generally considered collectible when it comes to the stuff I look at - so let's assume that you can sell the game for at least 200.
    Now, beyond that, you'd need to figure out the demand for the game, and the best way to do that would priobably be to entice potential purchasers by showing all the "differences" that would make it collectible. If it's a game that has drastic differences from -or even little resemblence to - what it would become, it could jump in value dramatically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just don't peel off those labels man - you could erase the game - really
    the pic is fuzzy but they look like the uv eraseable eproms
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I don't have any experience with pre-game-crash prototype collecting attampts, but... Prototypes are generally considered collectible when it comes to the stuff I look at - so let's assume that you can sell the game for at least 200.
    Now, beyond that, you'd need to figure out the demand for the game, and the best way to do that would priobably be to entice potential purchasers by showing all the "differences" that would make it collectible. If it's a game that has drastic differences from -or even little resemblence to - what it would become, it could jump in value dramatically.

These things can really sell that much? I have to figure if thats what it is, i would love to get rid of all my Colecovision stuff, these included. I have 21 of these games, most writen out like this DK game.

After its properly identified, how do I sell it? I read on here that Ebay is not a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1 View Post
    just don't peel off those labels man - you could erase the game - really
    the pic is fuzzy but they look like the uv eraseable eproms
    Those are EPROMs, but they are far more durable than you're making them out to be. These things are pretty hard to erase, so simply removing the stickers for a short period of time wouldn't do any harm (there's absolutely no reason to remove them though, so I don't see it being an issue). I've had 20+ year old prototypes with completely exposed windows and haven't had any trouble recovering data.

These things can really sell that much? I have to figure if thats what it is, i would love to get rid of all my Colecovision stuff, these included. I have 21 of these games, most writen out like this DK game.

After its properly identified, how do I sell it? I read on here that Ebay is not a good idea.
    First thing you need to do is make a list of the games you have and post them here. If you have a title that went unreleased, it could be worth a great deal of money. I wouldn't count on getting $200 per title, but it's not out of the question either.

Next, post pics of the carts and the PCBs. That would help determine what you have, and that you're a legitimate seller.

As far as eBay goes, they do tend to pull proto listings but not nearly as often as you would think. Auctions from big time prototype sellers get pulled more often than anything else, and I would think jealousy has a lot to do with it. If you want a sure fire place that doesn't charge fees, these forums would be a good start. You'll have to post some previous feedback of course.

Looking forward to seeing what else you might have!
    Last edited by BeaglePuss; 11-19-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post

First thing you need to do is make a list of the games you have and post them here. If you have a title that went unreleased, it could be worth a great deal of money. I wouldn't count on getting $200 per title, but it's not out of the question either.

Next, post pics of the carts and the PCBs. That would help determine what you have, and that you're a legitimate seller.

As far as eBay goes, they do tend to pull proto listings but not nearly as often as you would think. Auctions from big time prototype sellers get pulled more often than anything else, and I would think jealousy has a lot to do with it. If you want a sure fire place that doesn't charge fees, these forums would be a good start. You'll have to post some previous feedback of course.

Looking forward to seeing what else you might have!
    Ok, I understand the feedback, I have Ebay feedback, as well as a feedback from a baseball card trading forum that I use. It operates much like this site, just not for gaming, and they have a feedback system like Ebay.

I played most of the games last night, and I will be honest...Nothing looked different to me...Then again I dont know what I am looking for. My girlfriend's father does Networking and PC for a living, he his looking for am EProm Reader?? He said he will dump the games for me, rather than have a stranger do it, that way it the files dont get saved and dumped by somebody else. I am guessing this will be the easiest way to discover any differences.

As for pics, I have some already taken and I will post them in a few. I dont have all of them. I started with the ones that are just hand labeled titles on the Chips.
    Last edited by jumbojohnny; 11-19-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These games are socketed not soldered. I plugged in my system and all of these play.

Two different copies of Q-Bert

Burger Time

Cabbage Patch Kids Adventure in the Park

Congo Bongo

Space Panic

War Games

Antarctic Adventure

Black Jack Poker
    Last edited by jumbojohnny; 11-19-2009 at 04:10 PM.