Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DREADED stickers, markers!! Dirty Pins!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just cleaned some marker off a copy of King's Knight for the NES. Had "Property of" and the guys name on the back with a #15. Came out perfect! I used a variation of methods that's been mentioned in this thread. I cannot reiterate how well tooth paste works for cleaning things! I took a cotton ball, dabbed a little bit of alcohol on it. Rubbed the hell out of it, and it was SLOWLY coming off, but not fast enough. I then decided to try using some tooth paste in the mix. I rubbed some tooth paste on the writing until it somewhat dried out, THEN proceeded to rub with the cotton ball with alcohol on it. The combination of the alcohol and tooth paste took it right off! I think that might have been a bit quicker than using a tooth brush. Also, I didn't have an electric tooth brush either. So if you have a cotton ball, some alcohol, and a little tooth paste you can take the writing right off! And it didn't mess up the texture of the cart either. The bathroom is my friend..

Anyways, just thought I'd chime in again.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 11-18-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easiest way to get stickers off of something: Warm it up with a hair dryer.
    Works like a charm every time (unless we're talking stickers that have been on for like 10+ years)
    Just don't keep the dryer aimed in one spot (move it around constantly) especially if you are trying to get it off of DVD-style cases

just today, I got an NES game at a thrift with a big price tag straight across the label. Warmed it up, and got the price tag off perfectly, without damaging the cart label at all.

You can also do this on cardboard boxes, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Wow, you guys are hardcore. I buy so many carts, I don't get around to testing them all. The ones I do test I blow off and if they don't work I use rubbing alcohol and a q tip, if they still don't work magic eraser, after that i usually don't bother unless its a rare / expensive game, i'll open it up with the gamebit and clean it more thoroughly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    Wow, you guys are hardcore. I buy so many carts, I don't get around to testing them all. The ones I do test I blow off and if they don't work I use rubbing alcohol and a q tip, if they still don't work magic eraser, after that i usually don't bother unless its a rare / expensive game, i'll open it up with the gamebit and clean it more thoroughly.
    Any time I have seriously cleaned something it was for resale on eBay. Otherwise I have plenty of crap with permanent marker and rental stickers on it.
    IMPLANTgames retro game reviews - My YouTube Channel - New Podcast!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have always been able to remove marker with rubbing alcohol, though it does take a bit of work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post

I just don't like my collection to look ugly. And it does help for the resale, if I decide I don't want the game anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I just cleaned some marker off a copy of King's Knight for the NES. Had "Property of" and the guys name on the back with a #15. Came out perfect! I used a variation of methods that's been mentioned in this thread. I cannot reiterate how well tooth paste works for cleaning things! I took a cotton ball, dabbed a little bit of alcohol on it. Rubbed the hell out of it, and it was SLOWLY coming off, but not fast enough. I then decided to try using some tooth paste in the mix. I rubbed some tooth paste on the writing until it somewhat dried out, THEN proceeded to rub with the cotton ball with alcohol on it. The combination of the alcohol and tooth paste took it right off! I think that might have been a bit quicker than using a tooth brush. Also, I didn't have an electric tooth brush either. So if you have a cotton ball, some alcohol, and a little tooth paste you can take the writing right off! And it didn't mess up the texture of the cart either. The bathroom is my friend..

Anyways, just thought I'd chime in again.
    If the writting is on a textured surface(like the plastic of most carts) then a q-tip alone won't work. What I usually use is the green scrubby back of most kitchen sponges with the alcohol. The permanent marker will come right off with very little work at all because it helps it get down in the groves.You don't have to scrub too hard either so it won't damage the cart. The toothpaste is doing basically the same thing but it's much messier and not reusable.

THe only thing I really haven't found a good solution for is removing marker from cardboard. It's it's glossy then alcohol works like a charm, but if it's not then it will just soak in and start to ruin it if you try too hard.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to try some of these tips out!

Goo-gone does work really great for stickers or residue, even on NES boxes and game inserts, although you have to be careful with it so the ink doesn't come off on certain things. I've rubbed some off on a gamecube cover insert before.

Magic eraser does work good, but of course it's abrasive, but if your careful and the marker isn't really bad/set-in, it shouldn't damage it.

I've actually come across one game that had marker on it that seemed to have actually gotten embedded in the plastic. The only things that worked were products that actually damaged the plastic like magic eraser, and even magic eraser barely did anything at all to it.

I've come across one game that actually had the persons name carved into the plastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I've come across a few games like that too. Why someone would carve into a cartridge is beyond me! I guess there's no way around that unless you are an expert at plastic repair/plastic welding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I knew kids who used their wood burning kits to burn their name into the game.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    I knew kids who used their wood burning kits to burn their name into the game.
    Ooooh I've got a copy of Pesterminator (for collecting purposes) that has a kid's name, address, zip code, and phone number on it. Now that I think about it the information has a "melted" look around the edges, like one would get with using a soldering iron. So yeah, it was probably made with a wood burner. Why any kid would value Pesterminator enough to put their name on it is beyond me.

Speaking of "ZOMG BBQ WTF, THE DREADED STICKERS!!!1!!1!" is anyone familiar with those silver rental stickers, that when you peel off they a big "VOID VOID VOID" pattern on the carts? Actually those were pretty ingenious old school video store security measures. Nowadays they're annoying and hard to get off, though I imagine some GooGone would do the trick. I have a few games with those stickers that I just haven't cleaned up because it's extra work. (And it doesn't really matter to me if my games have rental stickers on them)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Ooooh I've got a copy of Pesterminator (for collecting purposes) that has a kid's name, address, zip code, and phone number on it. Now that I think about it the information has a "melted" look around the edges, like one would get with using a soldering iron. So yeah, it was probably made with a wood burner. Why any kid would value Pesterminator enough to put their name on it is beyond me.

Speaking of "ZOMG BBQ WTF, THE DREADED STICKERS!!!1!!1!" is anyone familiar with those silver rental stickers, that when you peel off they a big "VOID VOID VOID" pattern on the carts? Actually those were pretty ingenious old school video store security measures. Nowadays they're annoying and hard to get off, though I imagine some GooGone would do the trick. I have a few games with those stickers that I just haven't cleaned up because it's extra work. (And it doesn't really matter to me if my games have rental stickers on them)
    i got a lot of those off by scraping them with my fingernail, then goo gone.