Thread: How much did you pay for your first computer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no idea how much my first computer cost. It was a home built that I pieced together a few years ago with parts bought from Newegg. Probably $500-600, but it recently got a new case.

All the previous computers I've ever used, stretching back to the late 80's, were bought by my parents. So, those were "free".

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My *first* computer was an Atari 65XE -- it cost $150, but it was bought as a gift so it doesn't really count.

The first computer I paid for was a Packard Bell P133 with an amazing 8MB of RAM and 1.2GB hard drive. With a 14" monitor it cost me $2200. I remember looking at Pentium Pro-based PCs also, but they were way more expensive (a PPro200 with 24M of RAM and 2GB hard drive was nearly $4000). I worked a lot of hours to pay for it (back in high school, working part time) and the other things I eventually bought (28.8 modem, anyone? )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With half of the money from my paper route and the other half from my grandma as a gift, I paid almost three grand for my Power Mac 7100 in '94. It came with a whopping 700 MB HD and 66 MHz of power! Somehow, I ended up getting my money's worth, as it lasted all throughout high school and most of college.

While I no longer use Macs and generally loath Apple products, I'll always look back fondly at that system.