Thread: Jurassic Park Arcade

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Jurassic Park Arcade

I have searched and searched, but haven't really found any solid info about the Jurassic Park original arcade game. I have found pictures and references and a few things hinting at it being a pretty hard to find arcade game but nothing solid. I may have the opportunity to get my hands on this game and figured this might be the place to ask about it. This is the original where you have a motion seat and shoot at a t rex. It uses a strange arcade stick instead of a light gun. any info would be appreciated.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I browsed over at Arcade Museum a bit, and found this thread.

It says the parts are ridiculously expensive.

There's not a lot of info over there about it. No one seems to own one. KLOV lists 3 people as owning it, so it seems quite uncommon.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8262

The fact that it's a pretty uncommon game means, that there's probably not a lot of online support for it. If you're an experienced in arcade or electronic repair then, it may not be a big deal to fix it when it breaks. You could try to contact one of those 3 VAPS owners by email, by clicking the appropriate link on the KLOV entry.

You also have to take into consideration the size and complexity of the game. It's a space hog, and there are a lot of things that might need repair on it. While the game may be very uncommon, it doesn't mean the game is worth a lot due to the above factors. The resale value on games of this type is not very high, so don't expect ever sell it for a profit.

Anyway, unless you're a huge fan of this game I'd stay away. I don't know if you're a current arcade machine owner, so I'm giving this advice assuming you may not be. But I'd start out with a fairly common game, that has a lot of repair info easily available online. It'll give you a good idea of what may be involved in owning some machines. That's just my opinion though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    No one seems to own one. KLOV lists 3 people as owning it, so it seems quite uncommon.
    About the last place anyone should go for information on arcade games is KLOV. The site was relevant for maybe a minute 10 years ago, but it was quickly dismissed due to the propensity of garbage data. The VAPS ownership data is similarly passe - VAPS was kind of neat in the early 90s when arcade collecting was just catching on, but nobody bothers anymore, especially not the type of people who are likely to own modern games like this. 2 seconds on Google turns up plenty of information, Youtube videos, etc.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingpong View Post
    About the last place anyone should go for information on arcade games is KLOV. The site was relevant for maybe a minute 10 years ago, but it was quickly dismissed due to the propensity of garbage data. The VAPS ownership data is similarly passe - VAPS was kind of neat in the early 90s when arcade collecting was just catching on, but nobody bothers anymore, especially not the type of people who are likely to own modern games like this. 2 seconds on Google turns up plenty of information, Youtube videos, etc.
    Did you seriously google this? The 1st 2 or 3 pages are mostly full of info about "The Lost World" Arcade game and the pinball machine. In fact, this thread is among the top 5 hits about this game. Kinda strange dontcha think?

Also, I wasn't suggesting KLOV database as the end all of video game information, but more as a jumping point. The forums themselves have plenty of good repair information, just not a lot about this game.

Can you help him out, or are you just here to point out my info is garbage? Please if you can find a forum about repair or detailed information about this game, show him a link. He's claimed to have searched for info about this anyway, so I'm sure the 1st thing he did was "Google" it. I also youtube'd it, and came up with playthrough's but not much else.

I'm not saying that there isn't info out there, but if you're going to threadcrap instead of help, why bother?
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 11-21-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for your help. I was just wondering, I actually am a huge fan of that game, simply because i grew up on it and never actually got very far because i was to little to actually learn patterns and whatnot. I always see the Lost World info, and you are right in that i did extensively search for stuff about this game and came up empty. I would really like to have it, but dont have much room anyways i just didnt know if it was worth having to sell or anything. I would still like to know why it is so hard to find or any other info, but what i have gotten is great as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, and this very game is my favorite to play in arcades.
    If you want one, you'd best go the route I'm going to go; buy one from Chuck E. Cheese. Oddly enough, that's the only place that ever had this game, so I'd assume Sega struck a deal to place them exclusively within their arcades.

I remember back when the movie was released and the local Chuck E. Cheese getting the game. It was placed right in the center of the arcade with quite a lot of space around it for the large lines of people that came to play.

CC's has been known to get rid of their games, and while most locations did get the JP game, some don't have it anymore. My best guess is that they've since been sold.
    When you get the chance and some cash, I'd recommend stopping in to find one.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's worth mentioning that there is a Konami-made lightgun shooter named Jurassic Park III, easy to get that one confused with this (there's been one for months at the local mall).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    It's worth mentioning that there is a Konami-made lightgun shooter named Jurassic Park III, easy to get that one confused with this (there's been one for months at the local mall).
    I have only ever seen one of those. It was at a Wal-Mart in Kentucky. They removed it after having been there for only a year, sadly.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Wow, I was a big time JP fanatic back then, but never saw this game in the flesh. Graphics are very SEGA.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play this game at my local Chuck E. Cheese's all the time. Still my favorite arcade game ever.

I don't own any arcade systems, but if I had the money, and a house big enough to contain this massive game, I would love to get it. Relive the old days.
    Wild MissingNo. Has Appeared!