Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Oh, and:-

Hilarious.
    Yeah, it's three spots below Bioshock. What the hell? I doubt either of those belongs in the top 50.

Whatever, it's somebody else's list so I'm sure it's as representative of the tasteless goons they polled as it can be.

Legend of Zelda and SMB best games of all time my foot.
    I would at least consider the N64 versions of those games though. Or the CD-i ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Oh, and:-

30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivious (360/PC, 2006)
    Hilarious.
    Yeah, it's three spots below Bioshock. What the hell? I doubt either of those belongs in the top 50. Funny that they put Half-Life - Half-freakin'-reinvented-the-net-gaming-and-mod-scene-Life - below BS, too.

Whatever, it's somebody else's list so I'm sure it's as representative of the tasteless goons they polled as it can be.

Legend of Zelda and SMB best games of all time my foot.
    I would at least consider the N64 versions of those games though. Or the CD-i ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of the better lists I've seen. I'm glad to see Metal Gear Solid 1 through 4 made the list, but MGS3 at #191 is bullshit. Who gives a shit how old or new a game is, if it's a great game, it's a great game!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see Deus Ex get some acknowledgment. Light years ahead of Half Life, but not as many people played it...

A pretty status quo list. As per usual, Final Fantasy VIII and Banjo Kazooie got shafted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I went to go visit my best friend at GameStop today (Assistant Manager. We became friends during my GameStop days), and noticed the Final Fantasy VI cover.

I flip to the first page... Okay, they start from #1 then count up? Uh... Okay... I immediately called bullshit as I flipped through, then noticed some serious omissions...

Virtua Fighter. Phantasy Star. Fucking Dragon Quest! Virtua Tennis. Virtua Racing. DAYTONA MOTHER FUCKING USA!!!! Space Harrier. Not a single Shinobi game. Golden Axe. Outrun. Sega got NO love, and yet all those games I just mentioned are better than 1/3 of the entire list.

Tempest 2000 was the only Jag game on there. AVP should have been on there. No King of Fighters

SIX Final Fantasy games?! They mislabel FFIV and FFVI by their USA names?

No Descent. No Wipeout. Resident Evil 4 was too high, RE and RE2 WAY too low. Super Metroid should have been in the Top 10 no questions asked. They mention how Metroid is what started it all, and how influential several games were.... Virtua Fighter is in the fucking Smithsonian!!
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I personally thought this list was garbage.

At first it started off as a decent list. Legend of Zelda is a great game, now I wouldn't say it's the best, nor the best Zelda, but second best, Zelda if you talk about the regular games, so yeah.

Then I see Super Mario Bros. I was like. Okay. Super Mario Bros 3 isn't before the original? What early Super Mario game isn't better than the original other than Super Mario Bros 2. The Lost Levels which is obviously not as good? Then Tetris, that's fine. Then. GTA3? What the fuck? Grand Theft Auto 3 is not one of the best or not nearly one of the best. You ever go back to play GTA3 and compare the game to GTA LCS, VCS, SA, or 4? I wonder how they even thought GTA3 was in the same league as the others other than a decent storyline.

So one big mistake. Okay, brushed it off. Then Doom? Alright, now first off. Doom is okay, but one of the best games ever? When does really kicking a genre off make it one of the best in the genre? Better than the original Half Life? Better than most other FPS games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Unreal Tournament 2004. Then even looking, Perfect Dark didn't even make the list. What about Timesplitters? So many FPS games could have been chosen over Doom and also on the list as well, Wolfenstein 3d. Decent games, far better.

And then Metroid? I mean seriously what the fuck. The first Metroid is okay, but putting it above Super Metroid. Wow. Even fusion is a much better game than the original yet again, this list shows how bullshit it is.

Final Fantasy 6. Finally. The first time in this listing that they actually placed the best game in the series first. I assumed we'd see Final Fantasy 3 there after the retarded placement of the rest of them.

Then it actually shows the same fare. Nothing to bitch about. Then Street Fighter 2. Now it's not a bad game. But come on. Why all this bullshit? If they're going to put Street Fighter 2 why don't they atleast put the best version? Maybe Super Street Fighter 2? Or maybe instead of rating the game because of it being the first good technical fighter, why not put the best Street Fighter? Maybe, oh I don't know, one of the Alpha games, which I would take a vote and say Alpha 3.

Anyways. That's close to the beginning. Instead of re going through the entire list again and complaining about a few things I saw wrong. I'll just go and post some things about some major things I thought were wrong in the list.

Mega Man 2. Don't get me wrong. Mega Man 2 is an amazing game, but that's just it. Not only is Mega Man 2 above Mega Man 3 for the best Mega Man, but Mega Man 3 ISN'T EVEN ON THE LIST.

Metal Gear Solid 2. Two things. It's on the list and shouldn't be anywhere close to the top 200. It's above Metal Gear Solid 3.

Xenosaga. The storyline is the best in the series but that's it. Like b0ub0u said though. Where's Xenogears and why is Xenosaga above it?

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are on there. Devil May Cry is also on there but deserving, yet while two crap games get put on the list, an amazing game like Devil May Cry 3 isn't on the list and should be, as well as it should be put above the original.

It gets someone better near the bottom, but a lot of the games in there is just the overrated crap that's usually in a top video game listing. I'm surprised Tactics Ogre made the list. Not that it doesn't deserve it, as it's better than FFTactics and I'd rank it number one, but because how much crap is on that list, I didn't suspect them to throw it on there.

But yeah. This list is a piece of crap.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Quote Originally Posted by b0ub0u View Post
    Xenosaga episode 1 is there... but not Xenogears... Xenosaga is a very bad RPG. Xenosaga is a classic. That's just one exemple... I'm not too sure about some of the entries there.

I do find that most of these games added something to the video game world when they were released. Pretty good list I would say.
    I would actually agree with GI's decision on this one...I felt Xenogears drug on way past it's good points. While the Xenosaga trilogy has one of the best and most original in-depth storlines to date.

I rarely get worked up over these "top games" lists though as I realize it supports/reflects someone else's opinion other than own. Instead, I view these sorts of things as a personal checklist of games I should pickup/play/collect. While many/most listed I have played or beat there are a bunch more I have never even touched.

I'd also like to add as I see many people complaining how prequels are placed ahead of sequels and vice versa. I think many of the 1st in the series type games come before their sequels because that's when the magic began. Seeing GTA3 above all the others is fine by me....GTA3 was the first of it's kind and really revolutionized the way sandbox games played since it's release. Same with the original Metroid, Zelda, and SMB...these games made the biggest impact on the way games were looked at/played and laid the foundation for what these series of games are today.
    Last edited by incubus421; 11-23-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421 View Post
    these games made the biggest impact on the way games were looked at/played and laid the foundation for what these series of games are today.
    A game being the first one of its kind does not make it better. Besides, GTA3 was not the first in the series and not the first of its kind, that's why it's GTA3. It's got the exact same gameplay as all the original GTA games and GTA2 but in 3d.

All the original games you can actually go back to and they aged far better than GTA3. GTA3 has terrible car physics with the one button allows to make perfect 90 degree turns, car damage physics being terrible, etc. There's also another driving game that was 3d before GTA3 and has better damage physics. It's called Driver and it's on the PSX.

The original Metroid being out before Super Metroid does not make it the better game, same with the original Super Mario Bros. or on IGN's terrible list, the original Dragon Warrior.

It's a top 200 game list. Not the top 200 games that revolutionized the gaming industry. Zork shouldn't even be on this list, ESPECIALLY the place it's at. If it's a top 200 list and you rate the game higher than another game for any other reason that "it's the overall better game," then it's a biased list and not an actual top 200 list.

I'm going to one day make a top 200 list(which will be badass.) It won't have any but if this or if that or this came out earlier or any of this bull crap. It will be slightly biased as will all lists as I haven't played every game ever made. It will also have to be top 200 console games as I haven't played many PC games, atleast compared to how many are out.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-23-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Far too many FPS titles on this list for me to take it seriously. Half-Life 2 doesn't belong in the top 10. I concede Doom does, because it was the first FPS game to really gain any attention and it was before the genre became a cancer to the gaming industry.

And GTA Vice City or San Andreas belong in the top 10, after Vice City came out GTA3 became almost unplayable to me because it was so inferior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Then it actually shows the same fare. Nothing to bitch about. Then Street Fighter 2. Now it's not a bad game. But come on. Why all this bullshit? If they're going to put Street Fighter 2 why don't they atleast put the best version? Maybe Super Street Fighter 2? Or maybe instead of rating the game because of it being the first good technical fighter, why not put the best Street Fighter? Maybe, oh I don't know, one of the Alpha games, which I would take a vote and say Alpha 3.
    I think it's probably better just to put SFII in general because everyone has a different opinion on what their favorite version of the game is and it's probably better to have it like that so it's just one space instead of 2-3 different positions for slightly different games.

Other than that:

- Borderlands is barely out for a month and it's already near 100? Give me a fucking break.

- None of the DKC games at all? I know the series is real hit or miss with a lot of people, but the list seems emptier without any of those games.

- There's not much reason to have the original SMB in the top 5 unless you're putting things on a revolutionary standard. I personally like the game far more than most people do but even I admit that it's been surpassed since.

- I think the only reason Half Life 2 is always on such a high pedestal is that it was a hyped game that didn't completely suck. Maybe I'm not an FPS guy but I'll never understand why it makes top 10 lists, top 50 I could see though.

- I'm pleasantly surprised to see Skies of Arcadia.

- Who would seriously put something like Pilotwings on this.

- The original Star Fox but no Star Fox 64?

- SamSho 1? Not SamSho II? I figured that was the status quo of the series.

Okay I'm done, just wanted to rant before going to bed.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    A game being the first one of its kind does not make it better. Besides, GTA3 was not the first in the series and not the first of its kind, that's why it's GTA3. It's got the exact same gameplay as all the original GTA games and GTA2 but in 3d.

All the original games you can actually go back to and they aged far better than GTA3. GTA3 has terrible car physics with the one button allows to make perfect 90 degree turns, car damage physics being terrible, etc. There's also another driving game that was 3d before GTA3 and has better damage physics. It's called Driver and it's on the PSX.

The original Metroid being out before Super Metroid does not make it the better game, same with the original Super Mario Bros. or on IGN's terrible list, the original Dragon Warrior.

It's a top 200 game list. Not the top 200 games that revolutionized the gaming industry. Zork shouldn't even be on this list, ESPECIALLY the place it's at. If it's a top 200 list and you rate the game higher than another game for any other reason that "it's the overall better game," then it's a biased list and not an actual top 200 list.

I'm going to one day make a top 200 list(which will be badass.) It won't have any but if this or if that or this came out earlier or any of this bull crap. It will be slightly biased as will all lists as I haven't played every game ever made. It will also have to be top 200 console games as I haven't played many PC games, atleast compared to how many are out.
    If you read the very first page of GI's top 200 list you would see it says: "Taking into account, quality, cultural relevance, and industry impact..."

I didn't say the original Metroid being out before Super Metroid made it a better game or GTA3 being better than it's games to follow....but they started their standard for games, they had the bigger industy impact, etc.
    And really? GTA1&2 having the exact same gameplay as 3?! come on now...it was a completely different experience and without GTA3 revolutionizing the way we play games we wouldn't have our Vice City, San Andreas, and GTAIV (not to mention games like Crackdown and Saints Row).
    These games are being judged based on what they were upon their release. Sure a lot of games don't age as well as others and of course you can look back now and tear apart GTA3s car physics but that has little to do with what these games did in their time.

I'm starting to wonder if people are even reading the reasons for GIs placement on these games. Seems people are flipping through "saying nope that doesn't belong there, this is bullshit". For anyone that depises GI for putting the original Metroid before Super Metroid here is the validation for their reasoning:

"Back when most games progressed in a linear fashion, Metroid came along with its giant alien landscape and let players run in any direction. Super Metroid may have done everything bigger and flashier, but its NES brother started the concept of open exploration in games."

Now like most others I prefer Super Metroid over the original as well but I can atleast understand their reasoning.
    and they give reasons and responses to most of the controversial ones listed in the top 200.

This list is only biased because it's not the way others think it should be...which is biased in and of itself.
    Last edited by incubus421; 11-24-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Incubus421: That was a well written and thought out post man. I agree with your points. Kudos!
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Back when most games progressed in a linear fashion, Metroid came along with its giant alien landscape and let players run in any direction. Super Metroid may have done everything bigger and flashier, but its NES brother started the concept of open exploration in games."
    The explanation is nonsense. Open exploration in games was nothing new when Metroid came out. Really there wasn't a whole lot new in Super Metroid either, but the game was so slick and addicting it seemed fresh...two qualities lacking in the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    The explanation is nonsense. Open exploration in games was nothing new when Metroid came out. Really there wasn't a whole lot new in Super Metroid either, but the game was so slick and addicting it seemed fresh...two qualities lacking in the original.
    I'd also like to point out that The Legend of Zelda, arguably THE open explaration game, came out a few months before Metroid.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got the issue of GI with this list in it. Their write-ups make no fucking sense. These lists always, always suck. It seems they can never decide whether they want it to be the best games ever made, or the "most important" or something. A lot of them read as "when this game came out..." The circumstances of its release don't make it a great game. Tell me why it is great, not what made it seem neat when it came out. Does anyone really think Street Fighter II is better than Street Fighter Alpha 2? Obviously Street Fighter II is more significant. But it isn't better. Same goes for Sonic 1 and 2. It's not necessarily "wrong" to make a list that way, but if that were the basis of the list, they'd also have Tony Hawk 1 rather than 2, etc. Be consistent.

One thing that bewilders me -- Ultima I. WTF? Ultima I sucks. How does Ultima I make the list but not IV or VII? And why are there almost no adventure games and so few arcade games? This list reads like it was written by someone who played strictly Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox, and relucantly threw in a handful of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you read the very first page of GI's top 200 list you would see it says: "Taking into account, quality, cultural relevance, and industry impact..."
    Again. Top 200 only has one meaning. 200 of the top(best) games.

The original Super Mario Bros. did alot for the industry and at the time it was the best game out. This does not make it deserving up being so high up. Being a top game list, you run down some random list you have and then go, okay, "Super Mario Bros vs Yoshi's Island." Yoshi's Island is the better game so it goes above and you move on. You don't make excuses to say, but Super Mario Bros. did this and it should be above because back then it was such a great game.

Like jfactor said. They can't tell whether they want the best games nor the most important. They have games like Mario and Metroid there up top. Then they have games like Borderlands which is widely regarded as merely an average game and it's definitely not one of the most important. Why is this even on the list?

Here's an example what these lists are like. Anna Nicole Smith. Now I never liked her as she really never did look good in my opinion, but people liked her and thought she was hot for some reason. Take younger and supposedly hot Anna Nicole Smith(NES.) When mucher hotter females come out like Natalie Portman and awhile ago Anna was just fat and more uglier, that's like Mario on NES while Natalie is like Yoshi's Island. This is like saying the fat and ugly Anna is better looking than Natalie because back then she looked good and now she's older so we have to respect her a bit(and dead now.)

Am I right or am I right? Or is someone going to come back and try and say the later fat Anna Nicole looks better than Natalie Portman.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-26-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Bioshock in the top 30? Of all time? Um...no. The rest of the list just self destructs after that.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow, a list where SMB or Tetris ISN'T #1.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Razor Ramon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey yo
    lol @ everyone getting butthurt over a lame informer list.
    Noone will ever agree on a list that is published in the media. people will cry that game x was left out and list the 13 reasons why it should be on the list and people will whine why game y even made the list when they yell it shouldn't be on a top 186,774 list.

take it with a grain of salt yo. Lets see your list and then everyone can come butt rape you for leaving out game Æ but placing in game Œ

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    I love these lists and hate them at the same time. The bad is that I rarely agree with them 90% of the time. I love them for two reasons. First it allows me to compare my favorites to theirs and second they ALWAYS piss off people on gaming forums. Anyone remember the top 25 list we did a year or two ago and how much a headache it proved to be? Kinda wonder what the results would be now if it was done again.
    I'm with ya brother. I smh and lol at the same time from everyones reaction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just really did not care for this list. Alot of the 3d based stuff they listed has not been around long enough to proof it has stay power entertainment wise. That and alot of the stuff on there personally I just did not even enjoy that much, or felt was good but now awesome. Really seemed like this top 200 was meant to help move pre-own games at Gamestop more then anything else. The fact that alot of Konami, SNK, Sega, and Capcom arcade classics were skipped over really shocked me, including alot of Nes stuff and certain TG16 titles. I just cant consider this list legit in any sort of way.