Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collector's Editions, Pre-Orders and Exclusive Content

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collector's Editions, Pre-Orders and Exclusive Content

Being the sucker that I am, I prefer to get the Collector's Edition if possible and economically feasible. I only do this for the XBOX 360, and some PS3 games, such as Resistance 2. I got burned on the Fable II LE in that my version did not contain the DLC and I bought it after the time period (2-4 weeks only) MS was allowing people to get the DLC if their version didn't have it. I assume the DLC code for Fable II was user exclusive, in that the download code was exclusive to a XBL account and each code # was different. Can someone confim this?

The reason I ask is that now I am seeing more and more "Pre-Order Bonus" DLC (as opposed to just CE DLC) that is exclusive to certain vendors, such as Amazon.com, Best Buy or Gamestop. For example, Mass Effect 2 - Collector's Edition:

1. Amazon.com pre-order bonus DLC has Inferno Armor.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-...9008146&sr=8-1

2. Gamestop pre-order bonus DLC has Terminus Assault Armor and M-490 Blackstorm gun.
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=76269

3. Best Buy seems to imply that an exclusive Armor and Weapon is already included in the CE.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mass+Eff...%202&lp=3&cp=1

I've also seen "exlcusives" for Frontlines, Far Cry 2, Raiden IV, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, and Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena.

My question is are these "exclusives" also tied into a XBL account, because it seems these numbers are the same, and if that is the case, is there a website or online repository where we can get these codes?

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

In most cases the codes are unique - once used they can be thrown away. In most cases (if not all) the CE/Preorder content is sold through the marketplace. Of those games listed I know for a fact Riddick did this. Depending on which of four retailers you preordered from you got a code for a multiplayer map and commentary mode. Upon release, commentary mode was made free and those four store-dependent maps have all been lumped into one map pack you can buy.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

You're talking about exclusives of a few varities. Game exclusives ala Raiden IV (GameStop exclusive version) and DLC are 2 different beasts.
    Game exclusives sometimes are simply an additional disc, some hint book (Brutal Legend), a different insert (Counter Strike for XB), or access to 'special' stuff (Raiden IV). Others are as serious as Resident Evil 4 (GC)/Assassins Creed 2/ Smackdown Vs Raw 08 where the whole version is totally exclusive to that retailer.

All the DLC is a one time use code, which is packaged (normally) in the game case and once redeemed, its used. You could, if you wanted, pre-order one Mass Effect 2 from say GS and then buy the Amazon code off ebay, thus giving you both things. The profile doesn't know/care that you've downloaded both. It's just data to them. As long as the code is good, then thats all that matters. Some codes are mass give-away codes like the Seargent Johnson code for Halo 3 Recon, others like what you just mentioned, are site specific. If you really care, you can do one of two things. Pre-order from both places, OR just buy the other needed code from someone off eBay.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

CS for Xbox had alt cover art?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I. FUCKING. HATE. EXCLUSIVE. CONTENT.

Take Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC. People who preordered it got a bonus hat for Team Fortress 2, and a bonus weapon to use in L4D2. Those of us who couldn't afford the preorder will most likely never get those items or have a chance to win them within the games. I'm seeing this pop up more and more in Steam itself, loads of games have "exclusive maps" and it's really worrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

As a general rule nearly all DLC weapons/armor suck. They might look cool, but they usually are about worthless in-game. Just throwing that one out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I find a lot of the exclusive DLC diminishing the value of the collector edition. Soon it will be all DLC collector edition content and I will not pay extra $20 just for DLC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BasicConduct
    PSN
    SebasContheGo

A collectors edition is nice if you get something more than just extra DLC on the disc. A Nice designed case, one (or more) bonus discs with like making of etc, an action figure (or anything material) like for example the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition. Now that's worth buying. But extra DLC is not really worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think limited edition versions of games are only worth it either if you're a huge fan of a particular series, or you get a lot of stuff for the extra $$ the limited edition version costs. I got the limited edition of MGS4 simply because I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan.

As far as DLC goes, if it's a huge addition to a game like some of the DLC for Burnout Paradise where you practically get a whole new city for $10, I think it's worth it. What I fucking hate is being nickeled and dimed to fuck by having to pay anywhere from $1-$5, or more for a single car in Burnout Paradise for instance, or a single new costume in Little Big Planet. I also hate exclusive DLC like some of the GTA DLC on the 360. Why would Rockstar not release that stuff for PS3? They're losing a lot of revenue doing that.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when having a Collector's edition of a game (in the US) was a real novelty. Until Working Designs starting doing it with their releases, I can't think of any publishers who did CEs of any kind (I'm sure someone will bring up some examples to jog my memory ). I don't think games that came packaged with special controllers like Stack-Up and Arkanoid on NES or Star Raiders on 2600 necessarily count. Well...Arkanoid didn't NEED the special controller to be played, did it?

Anymore, it's a common sight to see Collector Editions of games and I think the concept is a tad over exposed. A lot of times what you get isn't worth the extra money you're spending. Back when it was a novelty I was all about getting the special edition or collector's edition cuz you would get fancy packaging, some cool knick knacks and trinkets and what not. Nowadays I just as soon tend to avoid them as I don't have any use for an oversized GTA IV with a safety deposit box or a NBA 2K10 with a scaled to size locker. The nigh vision goggles are a neat pack-in for CoD: MW2 but I can't see myself paying that kind of bread for them.

My one guilty pleasure on Collector's Editions these days are the World of Warcraft expansions. I've wasted no time buying those up and I've not been disappointed yet with what's included for the price I have to pay. The packaging they do for them is nice and they look neat on my bookshelf. I dare say the exclusive pet you get with each one is almost worth the extra cost (almost....it really needs to be a pet and mount for the price you pay over the regular edition).

As for exclusive content...I've never paid much attention in regards to the console stuff. I'm always weary of this kind of stuff though, it always feels to me like exclusive DLC isn't downloaded at all but already on the disc and you're given a special unlock for it. I could be completely wrong but my gut tells me otherwise. In regards to pre-order bonuses....well, actually acquiring those can sometimes be an adventure.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0) dayzed4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only collectors edition ive bought was the halo 3 legendary edition that came with the helmet and i actually only got that after my original halo 3 was stolen and the legendary was on sale by the time i got it. never really put much stock into collectors editions, alot of times the extras dont seem worth it unless they are actually material. I still want the pipboy from fallout 3 whether its cheap and doesnt work half the time or not.... lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I think limited edition versions of games are only worth it either if you're a huge fan of a particular series, or you get a lot of stuff for the extra $$ the limited edition version costs. I got the limited edition of MGS4 simply because I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan.

As far as DLC goes, if it's a huge addition to a game like some of the DLC for Burnout Paradise where you practically get a whole new city for $10, I think it's worth it. What I fucking hate is being nickeled and dimed to fuck by having to pay anywhere from $1-$5, or more for a single car in Burnout Paradise for instance, or a single new costume in Little Big Planet. I also hate exclusive DLC like some of the GTA DLC on the 360. Why would Rockstar not release that stuff for PS3? They're losing a lot of revenue doing that.
    x2 i would specially like to add the DLC crap sucks, those of us without the internet are screwed.

some of the crappy CE i remember RE5 , Batman , saints row 2, halo 3, madden 09 , perfect dark zero, prey

some decent CE MGS4, COD WaW, COD mw2, SF4,

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DLC for pre-orders can be awesome. Yeah it usually crap - but people will pay good money for the DLC, effectively dropping the price of the game. I got $10 for the UC2 "treasure map" and 15+ for some Dragon Age Origins crap on ebay. Juggernaut from MUA2 was going for $20+ if I remember right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I always seem to be suckered into getting them. Looking forward to the God of War III Ultimate Edition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I always seem to be suckered into getting them. Looking forward to the God of War III Ultimate Edition.
    I was too, but considering that most "bonuses" with the game is simply DLC, I am thinking of canceling and waiting for a price drop on the edition.

If it had actual bonus discs containing the DLC extras, I might be enticed to keep the order. But I am not too sure now, specially since these "Collector Editions" in the most part lower in price in a few months.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think my biggest issue with CE is being able to find room on your shelves for them. All the boxes tend to get bigger and bigger with odd shaped packaging. The latest one that I purchased was the Assassians Creed 2 CE and because it has an 8" figure in it I have no place to put the case. It is the size of two lunch boxes. Along with Bioshock CE and several others, I'm running out of space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im a big fan of collectors editions . I have about 30 unique collectors editions , mostly 360 and some PS3 . I would rather get cool pack in stuff , than DLC .

Anyways here is a cool site i found , check it out !!

http://collectorsedition.org/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

DLC sucks. I've so far never purchased DLC. Whatever I got it was a free download(like when that one Kung Fu game was free for a week.)

The only DLC I've been thinking of getting is the DLC for Valkyria Chronicles. Play as the enemy and get their side of the story. Not just an item or challenge like most DLC, but actual content at a price that is pretty much worth it if you ask me. Sucks that it wasn't on disc to begin with though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) punkrockdave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got the CE of Demon's Souls because i knew if i didnt get it within that week it'd be gone forever, also the neat little guide helped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    DLC sucks. I've so far never purchased DLC. Whatever I got it was a free download(like when that one Kung Fu game was free for a week.)

The only DLC I've been thinking of getting is the DLC for Valkyria Chronicles. Play as the enemy and get their side of the story. Not just an item or challenge like most DLC, but actual content at a price that is pretty much worth it if you ask me. Sucks that it wasn't on disc to begin with though.
    I don't think DLC sucks. What sucks is having to pay for it. After paying $60 for a game, any DLC should be free. DLC, and to a lesser extent CE's have just become another way for game publishers to nickel and dime gamers. Although there are some CE's that are worth the extra $$, but they're far and few between.