Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some good current mystery/puzzle-solving games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are some good current mystery/puzzle-solving games?

The last couple times I went to the store and picked out random mystery games, I burned myself. I got a Sherlock Holmes game in which the camera gave me migraines, but that was actually the best thing I got. I got this DS game called Lux-Pain, which is awful. and I got a game called Cate West: The Vanishing Files, which ended up being a "Where's Waldo" kind of game, where you are given pictures and have to find like 20 hidden items. Terrible and misleading game.

I really love Phoenix Wright. I have all four PW games. I used to love the old Sierra and Lucasarts games, like King's Quest, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, things like that. I got Zack & Wiki, and I loved that. Might be my second favorite Wii game.

There's a lot of crap mystery or crime games out there though.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

I really enjoyed the Professor Layton games.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Insert Coin (Level 0) DisastrophE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    I really enjoyed the Professor Layton games.
    Ditto. I loved the first two Professor Layton games on the DS. You need to go get them now. They are definitely the cream of the crop when it comes to puzzle games on the DS.

Also you should check out Nyxquest. It's a Wiiware title. It's an action/puzzle game that is worth a look. There is a free demo on the Wii so I say give it a shot.
    [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/DisastrophE88]
    [img]http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/blueice/DisastrophE88.jpg[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.lusogamer.com/gamercards/psn][img]http://www.lusogamer.com/playstation-network/killzone_3_2/gamercard_default/DisastrophE88.png[/img][/url]

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Oh, and Picross is all kinds of amazing.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I got this DS game called Lux-Pain, which is awful.
    I heard it wasn't that bad, aside from the terrible translation.

Hotel Dusk is awesome. Really, really awesome. Probably cheap, too.

Some people like Time Hollow, but some people really don't. Something to consider, anyway.

I'd like to try Theresia, which sounds pretty nifty, but it tends to be rather expensive.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, I did get Hotel Dusk. It's indeed a great game. That's exactly the kind of stuff that appeals to me.

I'll keep some of these other games in mind. Theresia, Professor Layton, Nyxquest.

For what it's worth, I have a Wii, DS, PS2, PS3, PSP, and a decent PC. Basically I can play anything that's not an Xbox exclusive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, gee, if you don't mind playing PC games, there's no limit to the stuff out there.

May I suggest Shadow of Destiny ? (I haven't actually read that article myself; I've had a copy for ages and am hoping to avoid spoilers.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recommend Trace Memory for the DS.
    Even my dad, the non-gamer BEAT it....that says alot.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Well, gee, if you don't mind playing PC games, there's no limit to the stuff out there.

May I suggest Shadow of Destiny ? (I haven't actually read that article myself; I've had a copy for ages and am hoping to avoid spoilers.)
    oh, and holycrap Shadow of Destiny is good. One of my fave PS2 games. Just so clever. The whole way through I thought I had it figured out. "Oh, it's this guy for sure. And if not, it's gotta be this guy." It blew my mind.

You get to go back in time to try to prevent your own death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sanitarium is a must play!

Oh sorry, you said current, doh.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 11-26-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Broken Sword was remade for the Wii and DS, I haven't played it yet though so I can't compare it to the original version but the reviews were good for it. It seems to be pretty cheap too, I don't have a Wii but I've seen copies for $9.99 new in some stores.

Jake Hunter for the DS is like Phoenix Wright, though not as good. I've played through the original release which was Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles, but it's just half of the Japanese version with a just decent localization. The game was later remade better as Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past, which has new episodes and as a bonus the 3 episodes from the previous release are also included but with better localization. I only played the original release but it was still not that bad in my opinion.

I also don't get why there's all those Where's Waldo types of games now, I don't get why they're popular. Most adventure gamers dislike pixel hunts and think of them as the weak part of any adventure game, those games now are basically just pixel hunts without anything else.

If you like adventure games and want info on what's currently out there, I'll give links to some adventure sites I look through. It's how I found out about the sequel to Trace Memory made for the Wii, but it's not released in North America unfortunately.
    http://adventuregamers.com/
    http://www.justadventure.com/
    http://www.gameboomers.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not that current, but have you played Dreamfall? I absolutely adored that game. Also, I haven't played Still Life 2 yet, but I loved the first one.

I also give my fullest recommendation to Overclocked: A History of Violence (PC only, sadly). It's about a retired U.S. Army psychiatrist who, due to his expertise, is called in to tend to five trouble patients with amnesia. In the game, you control the psychiatrist guy and each patient during flashbacks, which represent their memories being uncovered (and which happen in reverse chronological order). It's very absorbing.

Murder in the Abbey (PC also) is pretty good. Taking place in medieval times, you are investigating a case of multiple strange murders in an abbey (hence the title). It's a true mystery story in the classic, whodunit sense. While the plot is great and unfolds wonderfully, the actual gameplay is weak. Still, it's worth playing.

Broken Sword, already one of the best adventure games of all time IMO, turned out great on Wii (not sure about DS). Definitely get that, although when you finish it, you'll be craving the sequels. The third and fourth are recent enough, but the second one is probably too old to run on PC's these days. Although, it did have a PSX port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Broken Sword, already one of the best adventure games of all time IMO, turned out great on Wii (not sure about DS). Definitely get that, although when you finish it, you'll be craving the sequels. The third and fourth are recent enough, but the second one is probably too old to run on PC's these days. Although, it did have a PSX port.
    BS 1&2 are in ScummVM and will run practically anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They made a Still Life 2? I might check that one out, although the the puzzles in the first one were... annoying. MAKING COOKIES ARGLE FARGLE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BS 1&2 are in ScummVM and will run practically anywhere.
    Ah yes, I didn't think of ScummVM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also Touch Detective and Touch Detective 2 1/2the DS

And of course....Professor Layton 1 and 2....

I second Dreamfall and Shadows of Destiny as well...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard it wasn't that bad, aside from the terrible translation.

Hotel Dusk is awesome. Really, really awesome. Probably cheap, too.

Some people like Time Hollow, but some people really don't. Something to consider, anyway.

I'd like to try Theresia, which sounds pretty nifty, but it tends to be rather expensive.
    Theresia has dropped a bit in price. i picked up a sealed one for $13 recently, which isn't TOO bad, considering it's been selling for double that or more in a few places.

For a really oddball adventure game, try Sudoku Ball Detective. It's a murder mystery where you solve puzzles, find clues and unlock stuff by... playing Sudoku? On a rotating ball, yet. VERY weird, but the story is well written and the game isn't too long. Hell, even if you hate it, you're still getting a new way to play an old game, as the rotating ball device is kind of cool...

Flower Sun and Rain on the DS has some major issues visually and some sloooow as hell moments, but it's "interesting" in a few ways...
    Last edited by geelw; 11-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by geelw View Post
    i picked up a sealed one for $13 recently
    Where?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where?
    ebay - I had a search set up for it a while back and forgot about it until I got a few emails letting me know what was what. the seller had two copies, but I think they both got snapped up. i just checked again and there's another up at the same price from a different seller, so grab it if you want it.

overall, the price seems to have dropped, as there are a few BINs for under 20 bucks... of course, SOME sellers haven't got that message ($40.95? really?)

g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by geelw View Post
    ebay - I had a search set up for it a while back and forgot about it until I got a few emails letting me know what was what. the seller had two copies, but I think they both got snapped up. i just checked again and there's another up at the same price from a different seller, so grab it if you want it.

overall, the price seems to have dropped, as there are a few BINs for under 20 bucks... of course, SOME sellers haven't got that message ($40.95? really?)
    Wouldn't the cheaper ones be more likely to be bootlegs?