Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone like me at all who just cant get into Genesis games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Valkrazhor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Sonic - while i dont think they're bad i dont think they are all that great sonic games
    Sonic 2 - see sonic 1 though 2 is quite possible my favorite with knuckles
    Shinobi III - Great one of my favorite games on the genesis
    Shadow Dancer - i might like this because it is a shinobi game but the 1 hit and your dead thing might throw me off
    Streets of Rage - have it on 6-pak its decent
    Streets of Rage 2 - another one of my favorites
    Streets of Rage 3 - (get the Japanese version only) another possible, why the japanese version only? i cant get the japanese version
    Contra Hard Corps(get the Japanese version only) - i understand the japanese version is easier, but i can only get the us version this is a definite game i am getting
    Alien Soldier - i dont think this was released in the US
    Mickey Mania - have the sega cd version im not to thrilled over it
    Mickey: Castle of Illusion - i believe i have castle of illusion it is ok but i dont know i cant really get into it, if i dont have castle of illusion then i have world of illusion
    Mickey: World of Illusion - see castle of illusion
    Ranger X - dont know but looks to be ok a little too many sprites on screen
    M.U.S.H.A. - dont know
    Gunstar Hero's - want this game
    Jurassic Park(for nostalgic purposes only) - i had a chance to get this but i passed it because of the big sprites in the game
    Shadow Dancer is not that hard of a game so the one hit kill thing shouldn't detract from your experience too much. The only hard level really is the last one. The rest can be mastered in a matter of days.

The USA version of Contra Hard Corps ins ungodly hard. So much so that it loses a lot of its fun. I highly recommend seeking out a Japanese copy if you can get together the funds to do so. Otherwise settle with the US version but you've been warned.

As for Streets of Rage 3, the Japanese version is the way to go because the US version is changed drastically. The boss on the first stage, a raging homosexual who slaps you for his attack, was taken out and replaced. You can actually play as this guy too via a button combination after you beat him which is good for a few laughs. The difficulty in the Japanese version is decreased as well just like Contra though it's not as big of a deal here since Streets of Rage 3 USA version or not is still a much easier game than Contra Hard Corps will ever be. For some reason the color pallet was also changed and the bomb exploding in the intro was cut. I think there are some other changes as well that I can't list off the top of my head. You can easily find them on Streets of Rage fan sites across the internet.

Anyway... Happy future gaming on your Genny.
    Last edited by Valkrazhor; 12-15-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my top 5 genesis games that i own
    1. Castlevania Bloodlines
    2. Shinobi III
    3. Mega Turrican
    4. Strider Returns
    5. Streets of Rage 2

also does anyone know of any websites that compare Genesis games with their SNES counterparts? like Castlevania Bloodlines to Super Castlevania IV and Hyperstone Heist to Turtles in Time.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Valkrazhor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my top 5 genesis games that i own
    1. Castlevania Bloodlines
    2. Shinobi III
    3. Mega Turrican
    4. Strider Returns
    5. Streets of Rage 2

also does anyone know of any websites that compare Genesis games with their SNES counterparts? like Castlevania Bloodlines to Super Castlevania IV and Hyperstone Heist to Turtles in Time.
    Speaking of Mega Turrican, does anyone know if it got a Japanese release? What about Super Turrican as well? I can't find much info on the net so I'm assuming no. I'm in Japan so that's why I'd like to know.

As for Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist... I have never played the later so I can't really make a judgement. I have heard nothing but bad things about it though when compared to Turtles in Time so keep that in mind if you're thinking about picking it up.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

4. Strider Returns
    Trust me, you need to dump that and replace it with Strider. Comparing the two will be like a revelation to you: namely, it'll be revealed just how shoddy of a game Strider Returns is.

The closest I could think of is Hardcore Gaming 101, and that's a bit of a stretch. They may cover differences, but only if they've done an article on the series and the games are related closely enough. I'm pretty sure the differences between the Genesis and SNES versions of Sunset Riders were covered there, for example - short summary: same name, different games (just like the Genesis and SNES versions of Sparkster).

To date, there is no Castlevania article (nor will there probably ever be). TMNT I think was covered.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jurassic Park(for nostalgic purposes only) - i had a chance to get this but i passed it because of the big sprites in the game

I'm sorry, this is a silly reason to not like this game. I'd give you "spotty controls" or "terrible graphics" but the Raptor and Dr. Grant sprites were not "big".

"Sword of Sodan" had big sprites, JP did not.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    I hated Kid Chameleon back then, and I hate it now. And that wasn't because I didn't try: I spent hours playing it after it was released, only to reach the conclusion that it nearly bored me to sleep, therefore I never wanted to play it again. It's just not my cup o' the proverbial leaf beverage.

Keep in mind, you are talking to someone that feels Super Mario Bros. 3 is a long, boring slog of a game overcrowded with superfluous worlds and overly annoying segments that ceases to be fun in the middle of stage 2.
    Well if you don't like Mario 3 then I'll file your opinions under "insane". But then again Pit-Fighter is one of my all-time favorites so I don't think we're on the same page. But you do like Splatterhouse... so who knows.

i also like Mega Turrican, if i can stop it from freezing
    so 3 games i most like for genesis are
    Clean the pins on the cartridge and if that doesn't work clean the connector on your Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrazhor View Post
    As for Streets of Rage 3, the Japanese version is the way to go because the US version is changed drastically. The boss on the first stage, a raging homosexual who slaps you for his attack, was taken out and replaced.
    This doesn't sound like much of a reason to only go for the Japanese version. It's a great game, okama or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post

I'm sorry, this is a silly reason to not like this game. I'd give you "spotty controls" or "terrible graphics" but the Raptor and Dr. Grant sprites were not "big".
    I hope you're talking about the original JP and not Rampage Edition. The graphics in the last level of Dr. Grant's episode are eye-popping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Well if you don't like Mario 3 then I'll file your opinions under "insane".
    Yeah, I get that a lot. Some people actually seem genuinely upset because I feel that way. To them it must be horrible, knowing that someone's actually had the balls to stand up and say that no, they don't have an eternal erection over this so-called "masterpiece" of a game like the rest of the world. And what's worse, these same people seem even more upset because I've challenged its status as this holiest of holies in the gaming community at large, simply by calling it overrated.

Surely I am a blasphemer of galactic proportions. But hey, can't change how I feel.

But then again Pit-Fighter is one of my all-time favorites so I don't think we're on the same page.
    Eh, I don't mind the arcade version of Pit-Fighter so much, but the home versions... meh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Sword of Sodan" had big sprites, JP did not.
    Jurassic Park had terrible graphics? Ah com'on! The jumping was a little dodgy but overall, the game looked pretty good and played pretty well. It's one of my favourites.

I hope you're talking about the original JP and not Rampage Edition. The graphics in the last level of Dr. Grant's episode are eye-popping.
    Is eye-popping good? Also, you're referring to the Visitor's Center, right? I don't notice anything too good or bad here, but it's alright. Rampage Edition looks better on the whole and has a better feeling regarding controls. A decent sequel although some of the levels in RE lack the same bite as in JP.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i prefer the SNES Jurassic Park even though i never played the genesis one just from the videos i have seen of the genesis one.

also i am looking for cheap sleeper hits like Mega Turrican.
    Last edited by Urzu402; 12-16-2009 at 07:59 PM.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. "Rampage Edition" controls better than the original game. Sucks that all the sprites have an obvious black line around them.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I get that a lot. Some people actually seem genuinely upset because I feel that way. To them it must be horrible, knowing that someone's actually had the balls to stand up and say that no, they don't have an eternal erection over this so-called "masterpiece" of a game like the rest of the world. And what's worse, these same people seem even more upset because I've challenged its status as this holiest of holies in the gaming community at large, simply by calling it overrated.

Surely I am a blasphemer of galactic proportions. But hey, can't change how I feel.
    It really doesn't make any difference to me. I know there are tons of things that I like that other people certainly don't and vice versa. Like when PS1 came out and people were going crazy over Toshinden, Tekken, Twisted Metal and Wipeout. I though they sucked and most people I knew looked at me like I was a mental patient when I said so.

Eh, I don't mind the arcade version of Pit-Fighter so much, but the home versions... meh.
    I don't like the arcade game because to me the D-pad is better than the joystick for this one. Especially since the arcade version is so much harder than the home ports on their default difficulty levels. You need to double-tap left or right quickly to do the evade move which is the most important move in the game. I prefer the Genesis version. The SNES version is total crap. I wonder how good the SMS version is?

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Is eye-popping good? Also, you're referring to the Visitor's Center, right? I don't notice anything too good or bad here, but it's alright. Rampage Edition looks better on the whole and has a better feeling regarding controls. A decent sequel although some of the levels in RE lack the same bite as in JP.
    Eye-popping is good. I'm talking about Rampage Edition here, I haven't played the original JP yet. Dr. Grant's raft level is cool and then when you get to the T-Rex the graphics get completely insane.

Yes. "Rampage Edition" controls better than the original game. Sucks that all the sprites have an obvious black line around them.
    Yeah, it does make the characters look kind of weird and I don't see why it was necessary. Also I always thought it was funny that the dinosaurs attack you and the security guys shoot at you, but the dinosaurs never attack the security guys. Like they're on the same team or something.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really doesn't make any difference to me. I know there are tons of things that I like that other people certainly don't and vice versa. Like when PS1 came out and people were going crazy over Toshinden, Tekken, Twisted Metal and Wipeout. I though they sucked and most people I knew looked at me like I was a mental patient when I said so.
    Well I remember people going crazy over how crappy Toshinden was. =/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    Well I remember people going crazy over how crappy Toshinden was. =/
    Battle Arena Toshinden was great...until people realized that Tekken blew it out of the water.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega-16 has a feature series that does precisely this. We have a TMNT comparison going up soon, as well as one for all three versions of Ys III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Been there too. In fact, the only one of those I actually kind of liked was Wipeout, but I always thought it could have been done a lot better. Sure enough, Wipeout XL came along and proved me right.

I don't like the arcade game because to me the D-pad is better than the joystick for this one. Especially since the arcade version is so much harder than the home ports on their default difficulty levels. You need to double-tap left or right quickly to do the evade move which is the most important move in the game. I prefer the Genesis version. The SNES version is total crap. I wonder how good the SMS version is?
    I tried the SMS version once, and oh man, I was not impressed. The arcade game I kind of have a soft spot for, because it's attached to some find memories of mine. The SNES and Genesis games... you're right, the SNES version sucks, and the Genesis version is all right for what it is. I won't lie, I did log quite a bit of time on my brother's copy way back when all I had access to was just a couple of Genesis games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except for Castlevania Bloodlines i cant seem to get into Genesis games. mainly because most games use like oversized sprites for main characters and dont feel as polished possibly as SNES games what would be some Genesis games i would like?
    I don't understand how someone can be into the SNES and not the Genesis. Growing up when they were the current Generation I can see someone favoring one over the other(I sure did). But now in 2009 as a guy who grew up loving the Genesis and often times talking down to SNES fanboys during my childhood I find the SNES to be the closest thing I can play and collect for to the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just that the SNES had more appealing games to me than the Genesis at the time so I didnt really want any new games for it. Also it didn't help that I was in the dark about Genesis games so I don't know which ones I like for it. Yeah I had gaming magazines but they weren't untill the N64 PS1 era.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm kinda the same way but towards the PS1 and Xbox. I own a decent amount of games for both consoles that I have enjoyed, but when both were in their prime, I always went for the N64 or Gamecube version. Maybe it was because I was so fascinated with how games fared in the cartridge format compared to the CD counterparts or I just wanted to support the Nintendo more.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can make a super simplified version of the comparisons...

TMNT Hyperstone v. In Time:

Same game. Think Turtles in Time, on the Genesis. There's a few differences but mainly, it's the same game.

Castlevania Bloodlines v. Super Castlevana IV:

Not even CLOSE to the same game. Bloodlines, to me, is much harder - and SC4 is by far the more polished looking/feeling game.

Bloodlines is a great game, don't get me wrong, but oh my god. Compared even to CV3 on the NES - freaking hard game. That level where the visuals are split horizontally into what looks like different dimensions? Kill me.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like Bloodlines more than Super Castlevania IV, maybe I just like the idea of having 2 playable characters, meaning more replay value. Even though I can't get past the second stage of either game.