Thread: Sega CD problems

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD problems

I have a Model 2 Sega with the proper Sega CD attached, and since I picked it up i've been having a problem with the unit restarting randomly.

If the Sega CD is connected, I get between 45-90 minutes of game play, then the light on the Sega flashes, and I go back to the CD start screen. If I immediately start playing again, I get about 20-30 minutes of play, then a restart. If I start playing again, I get 10-15 and so on. This lead me to think it might be an overheating problem, but feeling the power supplies and the consoles after they restarted - they weren't very warm.

I'm curious to know what might cause this, and especially how to fix it.

-Little bit of extra information. I do not use an official Sega power supply for the Genesis (I do for the CD). Instead I use a laptop power supply (12v, 830ma, I believe). If I use my Sega power supply (a Sega power supply I believe to be for the Model 2 Genesis (12v 850ma), the CD will not boot (it will boot the Genesis, although its only been power tested)

-I do not have the metal shield for the sega CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd see if using a different power supply fixes it. While the laptop supply rating matches what the Genesis 2 needs (Model MK02103, 10VDC, .85A, also used with the Game Gear), it might be marginal.

You should be able to get a 1A power supply for $20 with a few different tips that you can try on either the Genesis or the CD, to see which supply might be causing the problem. The power supplies don't necessarily have to actually overheat, just heat up enough to drop the current a bit.

Inside the console, it could be the 7805 power regulator, or a cold solder joint along the immediate power circuit.
    "I've not seen such bravery!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turns out the genesis runs fine on its own, and the problem is just when I have the CD attached. Does the genesis power supply have any bearing on the CD? I'm aware that the Genesis needs to be powered, and it does run in the meantime - but is there a greater load on it with the CD attached?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That I'm not sure, but it would be worth a try... I'd get the two tips with the power supply so that you can use it on either, and test to see which supply is giving the issue. It could be that the Genesis takes more juice when it's interfaced with the CD unit, but it could also be that the CD power supply is acting up.

Besides, a 10VDC, 1A power supply is useful with all sorts of gaming hardware.
    "I've not seen such bravery!"