Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: December 2009 Finds

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    In this question I will sound very computer illiterate, but what is an OEM disc?

All the Office programs I get seem to be bought by the same guy who buys HUNDREDS of them. I have even less of an idea of what he does with them than the people who buy hundreds of PS2 network adapters...
    Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically it's usually sold in large quantities or bundled with things and is not supposed to be meant for re-sale. The reason this stuff is usually taken down when offered for sale is because the End User Agreements state that OEM is supposed to be accompanied by whatever hardware/whatever it was originally bundled with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

A couple of finds to end a great year of gaming!

On Tuesday I went to Half Price books to return some stuff and use a gift card that I received for Xmas and found this stuff:

Final Fantasy XII Limited Edition Strategy Guide complete and mint - $3
    MLS Extra Time 2002 (Xbox) sealed - $1
    Guilty Gear X2 (Xbox) - $4
    The Bible Game (Xbox ) - $4
    Tenchu 2 (PS1) - $1
    Jaws (NES) - $3
    Rampage (NES) - $2
    Marble Madness (NES) - $2
    Spot (NES) - $2
    TMNT Manhattan Project - $2

Yesterday at EntertainMart I found these:

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (Xbox) - $6
    BeatDown: Fists of Vengeance (Xbox) - $4
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: Limited Edition (xbox) - complete with bonus disc - $4
    Breakthru (NES) - $5
    Goonies II (NES) - $5
    Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC) - $3

Since I won't be getting out looking today, this will be it for 2009. What a great year in gaming! Have a great New Years Eve and we'll see you all in '10!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was at a semi-local Wal-Mart today and they had their Rock Band drum sets for the PS2/3 and XB360 priced at $9.96! They had about a dozen or so sitting out on a big display. Just wish that I had a use for them.

JY

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

My last find for 2009 came from a random stop at an American Thrift store that just opened up a few weeks ago. Found an ancient copy of the Nintendo Power Super Mario Bros. 3 NES Strategy Guide for 39 cents! It's in good shape, the only flaw is a tear in the bottom left corner of the cover, but at that price I can't complain at all. I've never seen a copy before; it has some great nostalgic artwork and it's wonderfully written.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

I finished my PSX FF collection today finding black labeled VII, VIII, and IX today. VIII is missing the manual.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Was at a semi-local Wal-Mart today and they had their Rock Band drum sets for the PS2/3 and XB360 priced at $9.96! They had about a dozen or so sitting out on a big display. Just wish that I had a use for them.

JY
    Mine also had these, and I bought one. Now I just need to find a Rock Band game cheap.

Today I bought Zelda Twilight Princess for Gamecube for $15 at KMart, and a JFJ easy pro disc resurfacer for $134 on eBay.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybum View Post
    But the find I'm most happy about was this:

Why the hell are the Ninja Turtles called Hero Turtles over in Europe?
    Is the word "Ninja" offensive to some ppl?
    Last edited by geezuzkhrist119; 12-31-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geezuzkhrist119 View Post
    Why the hell are the Ninja Turtles called Hero Turtles over in Europe?
    Is the word "Ninja" offensive to some ppl?
    I've heard it was because ninjas were deemed too violent.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Final finds for the year.

Mega Man 1 (some label peeling) + Sony PS1 Blue Memory Card = $5
    Frontpage 97 + Bonus Pack, 98 Upgrade, Windows 98 install CD, Office 97 Professional, The Best of Babylon 5 - $5 total
    Sega Saturn pad (second style) - $2
    PC Engine CDRom2 drive - $3

... YES, I found a CDRom2 drive at the flea market. And no, there was no PC Engine to be seen anywhere nearby. I checked. I have no idea if this thing works but I plan to sell it on eBay for spare parts.

As for that Saturn pad, the guy had a Saturn deck and the power cord along with it, and he wanted $5, but I said I only wanted the pad so he gave it to me for $2. I should've bought the deck, in hindsight, but there was no way of knowing whether or not it worked... I wiped it down with some "Electronic Cleaning Wipes" that I bought at Wal-Mart the other week and the thing was HIDEOUSLY DIRTY. The pad has some scuffs but it seems to be fine. I'm not sure if I should open it to clean its guts or not.

And the Babylon 5 CD is weird. It's an earlier 1997 version which includes two tracks from the then-upcoming Babylon 5 game by Sierra... which got canceled a year later.

---
    Passed on:
    A $5 NES2 deck. It seemed to be in good shape but I had my doubts about the AC Adapter socket so I left it behind.

Got beaten to:
    A Visual Studio set that was at the same spot where I found those Windows programs. By TWO FUCKING SECONDS.

Didn't see:
    The guy that was going to sell a bunch of Sega CD and Saturn games to me. So disappointed. T_T
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 12-31-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh, you guys want to know what I got at the dock sale?

Well, it's too cold outside to take a pic but I got a ton of stuff.

Bose wave radio. (yes it's a BOSE) for $5. When I got home I plugged it in and it works fine. How in the world does something like this end up in Goodwill's "as-is" sales? Approx eBay value of this thing, about $150 EASY.

Viewsonic PJ800 LCD projector. Again, how in the world does stuff like this end up at the dock sale? I plugged it in in my garage and it seems to project. I haven't tested it any more than that but definitely a sweet find for $5.

Pioneer Laservision LD-V2200 Laserdisc player for $5. I've been wanting to get into laserdiscs, and this is a start.

Game related stuff was a bare, unyellowed toaster NES for $3 and an Atari Jr. box with everything sans the system itself for $1. I have a bare Atari 2600 Jr. in my closet so this is actually a really sweet find for me.

I found an Atari 2600 non-heavy six switch system in a box with 4-5 controllers and some manuals. When I took it up there the lady said it'd be $12. It didn't have the adapter to play and I was tempted to buy it but I already got the adapter/hookups for the Atari 2600 Jr. so I really didn't need another Atari. (...and I have a nice vader system already). I pulled the stack of manuals that were with the Atari. There were like 10 manuals at $0.10 each. The only interesting manual was for Snoopy and the Red Baron.

I spent $57 total. I got a lot of other small misc electronics, like a sirius Streamer radio and a Sensoro radar detector. Not too bad as I got something that I could easily sell for $150 AND an LCD projector as well as some other things.

...and now that it's dark I'm going off to properly test this projector.

EDIT: The projector works. It baffles me how lazy Goodwill employees can be. All they had to do was plug it in and hook up something to it through composite A/V. I guess the employees that got this projector just decided they didn't want to test it and they sent it off to the as-is sale. It's a nice projector too, a little bit older, but it accepts RGB, VGA, composite, and S-Video. New this thing was $6500.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 12-31-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added some stuff.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Damn how in the hell did you get all that stuff at a damn goodwill dock sale. I really need to see if we have any around here.

And I cant believe a copy of windows 98 sells for $100. I sold a used copy of xp and only got like $90.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went back to the thrift store and picked up a few items I passed on yesterday, since today everything was 35% off.

The set of Lethal Enforcers guns and LE1 with manual was about $16. They wanted $25 originally, and I still feel that I overpaid a little for it, especially at a thrift store. At least I can toss my Genesis version up on ebay, now.

Maximum Carnage and Sonic & Knuckles together were about $5, and both are complete.

Then I picked up a Julien Donkey Boy over at Big Lots for $3. I expect it to be disturbing, like Harmony Korine's other film I've seen.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    And I cant believe a copy of windows 98 sells for $100. I sold a used copy of xp and only got like $90.
    It's Japanese. The English version isn't worth much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't hit the thrifts in a while, since my favorite store put most of their electronics in storage and put Christmas gear in those spots. They've put their holiday stuff back in storage and their accumulated electronics back out. Found this Steel Battalion controller, broken into its individual components, marked $2.92 each. I've been wanting to play the game, but haven't felt like coughing up a pile of money for the whole package. The game can be found easily for under $5 locally, along with it's sequel, so I'll hunt that one down the next non-holiday I have off.

I stopped off at a Movie Trading Company and found they had a whole bunch of Sega Saturn games there. Apparently, according to the employee, they had gotten a whole bunch of rare stuff, and some guy had bought the majority of it up. Still, there were a decent amount of games left, so I grabbed them to fill in my Saturn collection. I couldn't resist, since their used games and movies are all "buy 3 get 1 free". I ended up passing on a copy of Sega Ages for $29.99 since I don't really need accurate versions of those arcade games, and they also had a copy of Iron Aces for $24.99, which I already have (and I apparently snaked from another DP member who had his eye on it). Well, there's another one, better looking than mine too. Grand Prairie location.
    Last edited by Steve W; 12-31-2009 at 07:47 PM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I stopped off at a Movie Trading Company and found they had a whole bunch of Sega Saturn games there. Apparently, according to the employee, they had gotten a whole bunch of rare stuff, and some guy had bought the majority of it up. Still, there were a decent amount of games left, so I grabbed them to fill in my Saturn collection. I couldn't resist, since their used games and movies are all "buy 3 get 1 free". I ended up passing on a copy of Sega Ages for $29.99 since I don't really need accurate versions of those arcade games, and they also had a copy of Iron Aces for $24.99, which I already have (and I apparently snaked from another DP member who had his eye on it). Well, there's another one, better looking than mine too. Grand Prairie location.
    Damn. I would love to run across a copy of Scud for $4. Actually everything you got there with perhaps the exception of Ghen War is a good deal. AFAIK there aren't any Movie Trading Company stores up here.

No finds to end the year with. I just got over being sick about a week or so ago and then got sick again this past weekend. I decided it was better to stay in than wander around feeling like crap.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    Damn. I would love to run across a copy of Scud for $4. Actually everything you got there with perhaps the exception of Ghen War is a good deal. AFAIK there aren't any Movie Trading Company stores up here.

No finds to end the year with. I just got over being sick about a week or so ago and then got sick again this past weekend. I decided it was better to stay in than wander around feeling like crap.
    Movie Trading Company is a Dallas based chain that's currently owned by an out-of-state company called Vintage Stock. Blockbuster owned them before that, and when VS bought them they started buying up old classic games. You can occasionally find some good games there, especially Atari games (since they have no rarity lists for pre-NES stuff on their computers). I've found so many great games at all their scattered locations around the Dallas area.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Yup, MTC is awesome. I've been having some good luck with them as well.

By the way, I passed up on several of those same games at a store in Grand Prairie along I-20. There is another store by the Parks mall in Arlington.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    Yup, MTC is awesome. I've been having some good luck with them as well.

By the way, I passed up on several of those same games at a store in Grand Prairie along I-20. There is another store by the Parks mall in Arlington.
    I love the Arlington and Ft. Worth stores. Although neither one of them have been getting in too many Atari games as of late. It used to be I could pop in every week and find a bunch of new carts to add to my collection, but not lately. I bought a bunch of games at the Parks Mall location, and I drove by four or five days later and decided to stop. Found a whole bunch more games that had just come in, including four Xonox carts! Dammit, I love those stores! I've even bought a couple Emerson Arcadia games there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Purchased two 2600 games at a thrift yesterday:

Krull (cart only)
    Vanguard (cart only)
    $1.50 each.

I also acquired some disc-only Xbox games for free:
    Cars
    Dead or Alive 3
    Driv3r
    ESPN NBA 2K5
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Halo
    Halo 2
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    Madden NFL 2004
    Madden NFL '07
    NBA Street Vol. 2
    NBA Live 2004
    Need For Speed Underground 2
    Need For Speed Most Wanted
    Need For Speed Carbon
    NFL Street
    NHL Hitz 20-03
    Outlaw Volleyball
    SSX Tricky
    Tony Hawk's Underground

Not a bad way to close out the year.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.