Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2009 Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had some neat finds this month including a naughty 8-bit Famicom Hentai game hehehe. Here are the photos! Also, other stuff as well.

Visit my blog at www.retrogaminglife.com ^_^ You won't regret it!

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I actually found a decent deal for once. Just had to travel about 50 miles away from home to do it.

Anyway, I found about 7 loose Atari 2600 games that I didn't have for $1.00 each, a stack of about 20 Atari 2600 game manuals and catalogs for $5.00, and a couple of Nintendo 64 RF switch adapters for $5.00 at a flea market.

This flea market seemed to have some steep prices, I was making a second walk down an aisle for some reason and I spotted a box on the floor with two model 1 SNES with hookups and two controllers in it and it was marked "ALL FOR $15". I immediatley told myself "That's going home with me". The SNES are severely yellowed on parts. One is yellowed on the top and one is yellowed on bottom, so I figure I'll just make one non-yellowed one and one yellowed one from the two.

Later on, I was in a consignment shop looking around, not seeing anything and thinking that it had been a waste of time. Then I realized as I was about to leave that they had anything video game related in a case at the front of the store. the had some nice Genesis games, so I picked up a CIB Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and some other loose cartridges for $5.00 each. I can't remember what other games I got, but the ones that stand out in my mind are Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Vectorman 2, Sonic & Knuckles.

I would post pictures, but I'm not home at the moment. I'm actually on a hotel computer right now. I will post a full list and pictures when I get home later today.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSmurfette View Post
    Also grabbed some clearance stuff from Staples

Pokemon Pearl DS $8.97
    Pokemon Rangers Shadows of Almia DS $8.97
    Ninja Gaiden 2 Xbox360 $8.97
    Puzzle Quest Galactrix DS $4.47
    The Staples in Canada have video games? The only thing the ones down here have are a few generic pc titles.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, few sales today because it was freeeezing outside. I did get a HP printer adapter, a pair of Harman Kardon PC speakers, and an Xbox 360 headset all together for $2. Speakers and adapter are going to eBay. Also got Pokemon Yellow for $0.25.

I also got a Emenee Play Computer Organ for a buck. Retro!....... But I wish it had audio out as it has a neat sound to it. Very 70s and cheesy. Sigh, I see a headphone jack mod in the future.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 12-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A rather cold morning for Arizona but some decent finds:

2600 - Snoopy vs the Red Baron - $1
    Jaguar - Alien vs Predator (complete w/ inlays) - $5

already got AVP so I'll probably just resell that

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hit up some pawn shops and thrift stores today. Only thing I found was PS2 Street Fighter Alpha Anthology for $5. The case is dirty so I need heavily clean it/replace it.

Dropped by Half Price Books on the way back and I nabbed the following PC games....

Heroes of Might and Magic V - $6
    Heroes of Might and Magic V Exp: Hammers of Fate - $5
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - $5
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pictures and Update!

$15

Included:
    2 Model 1 SNES
    2 Controllers
    2 RF switches

No AC adapters, sadly, but I have extras anyway.

$5

2 N64 RFU adapters

$1-$4 each

Pitfall II
    Stampede
    Venture
    Winter Games
    Porky’s
    Steeplechase
    Solar Fox
    Plaque Attack
    Missile Command (No idea why I picked this up)

$2-$10 each

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (CIB)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Vectorman 2
    Mortal Kombat
    Pac-Man 2
    Game Genie
    Tetris Plus

$6-$8 each

Mission Cobra
    Quattro Adventure
    Dudes with Attitude
    Joshua: The Battle of Jericho

All in all, I had a pretty good weekend… J
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I just want to say I'd be pretty stoked to find Mission Cobra in the wild.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got Zoids Assault at Gamestop for $15 and got Batman: Arkham Asylum (360) at a local pawn shop for $15

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I just want to say I'd be pretty stoked to find Mission Cobra in the wild.
    I'd be stoked to find any non-Tengen unlicensed games in the wild. They've become rarer than hen's teeth. (Bet you've never heard that one.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    (Bet you've never heard that one.)
    I haven't! And I agree that about the non-Tengen thing too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be stoked to find any non-Tengen unlicensed games in the wild.
    I was pretty excited when I found those. The strange thing was that there were 4 more non-Tengen unlicensed NES games, but I had to leave themn behind due to lack of funds.

So I just picked out the 4 rarest ones. I have DP's Rarity Guides printed out for the sytems I collect for just this kind of occasion.

I also had to pass up buying six 3DO games for $5 each due to lack of funds. Oh well... I don't have a 3DO anyway...

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rarer than hen's teeth. (Bet you've never heard that one.)

I hear that one far too much! I think it was even the name of my 4th or 5th grade English textbook.

Nothing today. I hope to get a big lot of Colecovision stuff tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Recieved Price is Right for the Wii (from Amazon).

Picked up Wolfenstein for PS3 and G-Force for PS3 today at the liquidating Blockbuster near me. CIB too, though G-Force did not contain the 3D glasses, unfortunately.

Contacted Disney Interactive to see if they can help me get one.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Went on a road trip today and got two NES games.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary (NES)-$3

Stanley and the Search for Dr. Livingston (NES)-$5

Honestly have never heard of the latter game at all. According the guide, it was a late release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Really nice free find today, just finished hauling it upstairs.

Over the summer my girlfriend mentioned that there were a few arcade cabinets at the school she teaches at. On the way to California Extreme back in July we stopped by and I took a look at them. Basically they're Jakks Pacific TV Games joysticks built into half size replica arcade cabinets. Two are Galaga replicas and one is a Pac-Man replica. One of the Galaga cabinets was totally dead but the other two worked fairly well. I guess they've been there for a few years and were donated to the school for one of their media rooms. A couple months ago she mentioned that the other Galaga quit working and that the Pac-Man would periodically reset.

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had fixed the cabinets and she said the school had asked a couple places and they were told it would cost more than it would be worth. I offered to take a look at the cabinets and repair them in exchange for taking one of the Galaga cabinets home. Everyone at the school jumped on the opportunity, the principal herself replying "He just wants one of them? He'll fix the others for free? He can have it!" They were all pretty enthusiastic about getting the other two machines repaired.

I was there for about four hours working on the machines. Each one has a Jakks Pacific TV Games plug and play gutted and mounted inside, with the inputs running to arcade controls. The Galaga cabinets feature Pole Position, Galaga, Mappy, Ms. Pac-Man, and Xevious. The Pac-Man cabinet has Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Pac & Pal, Pac-Man Plus, New Rally-X, Bosconian, Dig Dug, and Galaxian. The Galaga cabinets have the parts from the rotating joystick (for steering) mounted to a little spinner adjacent to the joystick. A 13" CRT TV with the back removed is mounted inside each, using the standard AV jacks. The TV's are securely fastened to a TV shelf that slides out for access to the game electronics.

The cabinet construction is arcade quality as are the controls. The TV audio has been relocated to a professionally mounted speaker above the display area, beneath the marquee, as is done on an actual cabinet. The marquees light and are vinyl sandwiched between two pieces of glass. The TV area is covered with a piece of smoked plexi and the controls are standard arcade fare. The joysticks are selectable between 4 and 8 way (a slider on the underside sets this) proving that if Jakks would spend a little more Xevious and Bosconian would have proper 8 way movement, the game can do it, it's a control blockade. The plug and play is hardwired to use the AC adapter. The plug and play AC adapter, TV power, and marquee light all plug into a power strip inside the cabinet which is then hardwired to a fused socket and switch on the back of the cabinet. From the outside a standard three prong PC power cable is used, keeping everything safe and secure. Official artwork is used on the sides, front, marquees and control panels.

Problems with the cabinets were mixed, covering blown fuses, loose grounds, broken connections, worn switches - pretty much the standard wear and tear. Figuring out the order things have to be taken out (remove back, disconnect speaker, loosen bracket and slide out smoked plexi, unscrew TV shelf, slide TV out, disconnect plug and play, etc.) took up most of the time as did testing things as I went along. Really these weren't designed to be worked on with how buried the control panels are. However I was able to get them all fixed and tuned up to 100% functionality. Then of course it was time for me to collect my cabinet as payment (and just get the sucker to fit in the back of a Camry).

So here she is, four hours of hybrid arcade repair for this...

And yes, I got this one working too, just needs a new fuse for the external power connection. They really are beautifully made, I couldn't make one nicer if I tried. With the graphics and T-molding, it really does look like an authentic Galaga cabinet, just half the size.

My plans for it? Well, after I haul it to my parent's house in a couple weeks to put it into storage (I REALLY don't have the space for it but it was now or never - notice how one of the pictures was taken from outside my apartment?) I eventually plan on turning it into a classic vertical MAME cabinet. Pretty much everything I need is already on the cabinet. I'm going to rework the control panel a little (remove the "spinner" which is useless for anything other than what it's being used for now) and cut a new monitor mount for a vertical PC monitor but that's about it. Wire up an encoder, wire the speaker to a little computer speaker amp and it's ready to go.

Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched to have this.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 12-05-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched to have this.
    I would be too. Very nice.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very nice machine. Can I ask the physical dimensions? I'm just curious as to how "mini" it is but it looks fairly large. Difficult to tell from the pics without a common frame of reference like someone standing next to it.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked up the following new at Walmart for $10 each:

Xbox 360
    Beowulf
    Spider-man 3

NDS
    N+

I've never had the chance to play N+, and at $10, I couldn't pass it up.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was at GameStop last night. The cute girl behind the counter gave me all these because I asked nicely. Actually, I just said something like "I got a Gordon Freeman, any chance I could get an FF6?" She walks over and starts putting a stack together. She is very awesome.

Now I've got all eight!