Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2009 Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked up a new GP2x Wiz and Last Hope Pink Bullets (DC) from VideoGamesNewYork. Picked up a new copy of Twinbee Portable (PSP) from J&L in NYC. Got my copy of Mushimisama Futari 1.5 (360) from Play Asia as well. Luckily, I got a copy with the 1.01 DLC so I'm stoked about that! Finally, picked up Half Minute Hero (PSP) at lunch today.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I'd like to get those Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree games, but I really don't like to own crappy games regardless of rarity. Other than about 3 of them, they're really only worth $10-15, aren't they?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Hmm, I'd like to get those Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree games, but I really don't like to own crappy games regardless of rarity. Other than about 3 of them, they're really only worth $10-15, aren't they?
    I actually looked into what color dreams games I had last night and found in a tote:

I've never even opened them before to check the contents, heh. Both of them are in mint condition...the challenge of the dragon doesn't even have the plastic wrap around the cart taken off. I think I also had Joshua (iirc) or some religion game in there that was a black cart variant. I don't really see a difference in price when these things are on ebay though, black or blue. I've seen both these games up for about $100 BIN but doubt they'll ever sell for that high, being such terrible games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin- View Post
    I actually looked into what color dreams games I had last night and found in a tote:
    Hmm, well if you ever get tired of lookin at em, shoot me a PM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All Wisdom Tree games have black carts AFAIK. There are a couple of blue carts out there, but I don't know if they were real, or just someone who peeled the label off a black cart and put it onto a blue cart. They're rare regardless.

The most playable Color Dream games are Crystal Mines, Baby Boomer, and Captain Comic IMO. The rest vary between average (at best) to horrible.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Isn't the 360 remote a Logitech Harmony if it is then you should look up what all that thing can do. I got one when thay first came out and love it. The best thing about it is it can turn on like five things at once and auto change the channel of the TV with one button. It does take some time to program but after that it's all good. Maybe it's the tec. geek in me but that thing is definitely worth it!
    Looks like it can do some fancy stuff. I was just giddy that the buttons lit up. :P That's how I found it, actually. I saw something glowing at the bottom of a box of remotes and went exploring to see what was making all the pretty lights.

I don't know if it will still work on my TV or not. Now the Comcast has forced me to use their converter box, its crappy remote has hijacked remote duties. I haven't looked into whether or not I can program another remote to take its place. That'd be swell if I could.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    All Wisdom Tree games have black carts AFAIK. There are a couple of blue carts out there, but I don't know if they were real, or just someone who peeled the label off a black cart and put it onto a blue cart. They're rare regardless.

The most playable Color Dream games are Crystal Mines, Baby Boomer, and Captain Comic IMO. The rest vary between average (at best) to horrible.
    The reason why you sometimes see Wisdom Tree games in blue is because Wisdom Tree was some little sub-company owned by Color Dreams. I think the blue plastic was cheaper and they used that late in Wisdom Tree's life during the NES years. I'm not exactly sure if that's why, but the whole "just someone who peeled the label off a black cart and put it onto a blue cart" thing you said is just not right.

btw, I mentioned I just today got Baby Boomer and Mission Cobra for $4.95 each. I did not know Mission Cobra was an R6. I figured Baby Boomer was the find and Mission Cobra was just some common Bunch Games release.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    I traded a cart only earthbound and $15 for

2 sega genesis protos (longbords, sports games)
    a cib MINT not for resale fire emblem
    and a dino crisis beta
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlZ-nWD8bg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I've always wondered what Captain Comic was like. Is it coincidental that it's named that or does it actually take after the excellent DOS games? Captain Comic I & II were two or my favorite old dos side scrollers. I'd be quite interested in trying it if it's related to that series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I've always wondered what Captain Comic was like. Is it coincidental that it's named that or does it actually take after the excellent DOS games? Captain Comic I & II were two or my favorite old dos side scrollers. I'd be quite interested in trying it if it's related to that series.
    I've got a boxed copy of Captain Comic sitting right here on my shelf and on the back they use quotes from the review of PC version . Like this:

"COLORFUL AND WELL THOUGH-OUT ARCADE STYLE GAME."
    ________________-Game Player's evaluation of Captain Comic's PC version.

I've never played the PC version, but to be honest I never liked the NES version. Controls were a bit stiff and the animation was very... jerky. I didn't put much time into playing the game, though. I might try it out again in the future. My copy has an upside down label . Great quality there.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    I've got a boxed copy of Captain Comic sitting right here on my shelf and on the back they use quotes from the review of PC version . Like this:

I've never played the PC version, but to be honest I never liked the NES version. Controls were a bit stiff and the animation was very... jerky. I didn't put much time into playing the game, though. I might try it out again in the future. My copy has an upside down label . Great quality there.
    Lol...awesome review there, and nice fail on the label. I would expect nothing less from color dreams, hahah. It looks like I'll be sticking with the pc versions. If I ever see a cheap cart in the future I'll still give it a whirl for disappointment's sake.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wufners View Post
    Looks like it can do some fancy stuff. I was just giddy that the buttons lit up. :P That's how I found it, actually. I saw something glowing at the bottom of a box of remotes and went exploring to see what was making all the pretty lights.

I don't know if it will still work on my TV or not. Now the Comcast has forced me to use their converter box, its crappy remote has hijacked remote duties. I haven't looked into whether or not I can program another remote to take its place. That'd be swell if I could.
    I'm 99.9% sure that it will work I have mine set up for every thing I have 360, PS3 (you need a cheep USB IR remote I have this), PS2 (fat), PC, laptop, TVs, and sound system I also had it working with a cable box and DVR when I had cable. It can also have more than one TV programed in at once if your like me and have two TVs one round tube for the old systems and one HD flat for the new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It is inspired by the DOS original, but really it isn't as good. It is kind of insteresting though, the levels are clearly inspired by the original levels, they're just redesigned for the new graphics engine. Hope you like poor controls and a lot of frustration though, because this game has them in spades... not that the DOS game isn't hard, it is thanks to its total lack of a save system (though evidently the second game, which was registered-only, allowed you to save? Not sure, haven't played it myself), but thanks to the controls and enemies the NES game is probably harder, and not as good either.

Still, for fans it might be worth a try... just don't expect something as good as the original. I thought the DOS one was okay back in the day... nothing outstanding, and I don't think I ever got that far thanks to the lack of saving, but decent stuff. Unfortunately I don't think it's just the much stiffer competition that caused the NES game to be thought of much less fondly. Still, sure, try it sometime if you can.

... What the heck is up with the controls of the DOS version though... I mean, Insert is the default attack button? Really, with the arrow keys as movement and Spacebar as jump? So awkward... (you press Alt to go through doors of course, and Tab for teleport. Such obvious controls!) Why DO keyboard games so often feel the need to scatter the keys all over the keyboard from one end to the other... well, at least they can be redefined to something normal like Control and Alt (the most common DOS game action buttons) or Z and X (common in emulator defaults, Japanese PC games, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post

If you think that's jerky, you don't want to play early '90s DOS shareware games... now THAT'S jerky. Stuff like, oh, Captain Comic... compared to the DOS version, the NES one is actually very fluid. That's because it took a while to develop good scrolling mechanisms on the PC, so even in 1990 many games still had very jerky scrolling. The original Commander Keen trilogy was the first DOS shareware game with smooth scrolling...

But anyway, as I said, even so the controls are definitely better in DOS. The scrolling may be jerky, but at least the controls are precise. Not much music though, can't expect much from the PC speaker... not that the music in the NES version is much of an improvement though. So yeah, overall I'd say it is better on the PC. The shareware version of Captain Comic 1 should be easy to find and run in DOSBox, try it out.

As for Wisdom Tree/Color Dreams/AVE, I only have one of their 'games', but it's the US Maxi 15, Pyramid/Double Stack version. I got it for like $5 locally, cart only... and I'm kind of glad i did, no way would this be worth the $30 or $40 or whatever it goes for online. I mean, sure it's fifteen games, but it's fifteen Color Dreams and AVE games... not exactly quality stuff, most of them. A few are entertaining though, like Menace Beach, Chiller, and a few more. (Pyramid, by the way, I find virtually unplayable...)

Oh, I did get one more game yesterday. Perhaps the last one for a little while, but it was impossible to pass up... Mario Kart DS (card only) for just $10! I'd love to have more DS games, but most are kind of pricey, and MKDS still sells for about as much as it did when it came out. It's awesome to finally have the game, and for a very good price too.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 12-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You found Captain Comic playable? I hated it after 5-10 minutes so I decided to sell the copies of it I had. I don't regret it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I like the game. It's miles ahead of most of Color Dreams' other games in any case.
    Last edited by pseudonym; 12-07-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He didn't say playable, he said "most playable". It just means the other games play worse than Captain Comic.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Found at a thrift store:

Bioshock (360) - already preordered Bioshock 2 CE, so I have until February to play and beat the first one.

Limp Bizkit: Significant Other (CD) - still as good as it was in the 90's.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Limp Bizkit: Significant Other (CD) - still as good as it was in the 90's.
    It hasn't aged well then lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Found Metroid Prime, disc only. for 4.50 and a pair of 1988 Fisher STV-726 speakers for 15.50. Excellent speakers. My parents have there own pair with matching stereo from '88 and I had to find the same pair someday. They sound amazing. I love tall, full-size stereo speakers.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    They sound amazing. I love tall, full-size stereo speakers.
    Cough*boatanchors*cough

Oooh, the weather's getting to me. >_>

hack*actuallyFisherisalrighjustdontgetanythingmade inChina*hack

Maybe I've got a whooping cough or something. <_<

View my collection!