Thread: Mmmc : Mercs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mmmc : Mercs

This week we are playing the Capcom arcade classic MERCS.

This top down isometric view run and gun game is simple fun. Known as Senjo no Okami Tsu(Wolf of the Battlefield II), it is a spiritual sequel to Capcom's earlier 1985 title Commando, running on the Capcom Play System 1 hardware.

Play as one of the three members of the "Wolf Force" Anti Terrorist team in an attempt to rescue the former president from rebels in the fictional country of Zutala.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8667

Club Rules

01. You do not need to sign up for the club. If you want to participate, simply download the game of the week and post about it!

02. At the end of the week, I will randomly select a game from a list of nominations.

03. The current MAME Club Pick of the Week can be found every Monday stickied at the top of the Arcade Alley.

Need the ROM?

ROM will be hosted by Flack at http://www.robohara.com/mameclub/mercs.zip

Previous MMMC games: Jump Coaster, Rampart, Jungler, Ninja Emaki, Port Man, Psycho Soldier, Metamoqester, Gunbarich, Sengoku (series), Snacks'n Jackson, Metro-Cross, Moon Shuttle, The Real Ghostbusters, Moonwalker, Black Widow, Kid Niki, Joust 2, Super Contra, Shoot-Out, Raiden, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Dead Connection, Gate of Doom, The Outfoxies, Popeye, Baseball Stars 2, Intrepid, 1943, Super Pac-Man, Samurai Shodown II, Berzerk.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 01-18-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

MERCs is one of my favorite early Sega Genesis games. And one I always somehow manage to forget that I don't still own.

I have never played the arcade version. I will have to rectify this situation tomorrow.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    MERCs is one of my favorite early Sega Genesis games. And one I always somehow manage to forget that I don't still own.

I have never played the arcade version. I will have to rectify this situation tomorrow.
    PROTIP: You can find some pretty cool arcades in Tomorrowland and in the Pop Music resort.

(The one is Tomorrowland is the Starcade if I remember correctly.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got done completing this on an ungodly amount of credits. I find shooters like this with a top down view to be harder to control than a standard side scroller. I guess it's harder for me to control a guy that has to shoot in all directions. I would venture to say though, that games like this are not designed for a D-pad, but more for the stable precise joystick that an upright affords. Even earlier predecessors of this game, like Robotron 2084 (R:2084 being a much harder game anyway) are a chore to control with just you thumbs.

As far as this game goes, I enjoy the semi-destructable environments, and the added bonus of being able to use multiple vehicles. The graphics are very colorful, and not at all drab like the backgrounds of say Super Contra. Even though my thumbs may hate me for it, I might give it another go around this week and see how far I can get on one credit.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I had a chance to play this a couple days ago. And it is a great game. I really enjoyed how bright and colorful the game was, as TDI pointed out. Why is it in these games that as soon as I jummp into a vehicle...that vehicle blows up?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I don't generally like Commando type games too much but I had fun with this one. I'm not too sure why either. I think it was the combination of destructible environments and that you could ride in the vehicles, gun turrets and stuff that just gave it that extra bit of oomph. I bet it would be a blast with 3 players as well. I only managed to get to the end of mission 1 on 1 credit. Mission 2 wasn't too bad but I couldn't stay alive at all in mission 3. Checking bookkeeping info, I put 21 credits in to get to Mission 4. I'll probably end up trying to play through this one if I get some free time this weekend.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I want to point out that Super Joe's (Joseph Gibson's) pose with the M60 machine gun seems at least partly inspired by the movie Commando (big surprise eh?) Ahnold gets to run around bare-chested with a scavenged M60 at the end of the movie for a while.