Thread: Pacman Machine wont work!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) GreatBazunka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pacman Machine wont work!!!!

I have a question for you, maybe you know the answer. I have a pacman machine that I got and it is not working. I got a new board that is known to be working so I have ruled that out. I have tested the speaker and that is good. The monitor turns on but displays nothing. Almost like the machine turns on but doesn’t start up. I have tested all of the power leads that I could think of and they are all supplying the correct voltages. I checked online for a schematic and made sure that the wires in the wiring harness were correct. It is still giving me the same problem. I can power it on and the monitor turns on but nothing happens. There is one wire that looks like it is coming from the coin door that was cut. It looks to be white and brown or white and green. Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBazunka View Post
    I have a question for you, maybe you know the answer. I have a pacman machine that I got and it is not working. I got a new board that is known to be working so I have ruled that out. I have tested the speaker and that is good. The monitor turns on but displays nothing. Almost like the machine turns on but doesn’t start up. I have tested all of the power leads that I could think of and they are all supplying the correct voltages. I checked online for a schematic and made sure that the wires in the wiring harness were correct. It is still giving me the same problem. I can power it on and the monitor turns on but nothing happens. There is one wire that looks like it is coming from the coin door that was cut. It looks to be white and brown or white and green. Any ideas?
    Did you check the test/credit switch?

Insert Coin (Level 0) GreatBazunka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

stonic: I have checked the voltage everywhere against a schematic and they are all correct.

diskoboy: How should i check the test/credit switch?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On my Pac Man machine, just inside the coin door on the right is a red button. That is the credit button. There is also a black lever that goes back and forth. Try pushing the button and listen for the credit being applied (It sounds like Pac Man chomping a ghost). If not, try pushing the black lever over and press the button. Also be sure the volume is turned up. I really don't know much, but I would say if you hear the credit's being applied by pushing the red button, then you most likely need to do a cap kit for the monitor or just get a new monitor. Check out the forums over at klov.com, they may be able to assist you further.
    Check out my trade list at http://gametz.com/user/benjam138

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by benjam138 View Post
    ...but I would say if you hear the credit's being applied by pushing the red button, then you most likely need to do a cap kit for the monitor or just get a new monitor...
    I'd check the fuses first.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Inside the coin door, on that little panel, flip the switch to the right. That will bring up the sound test. Move your joystick, or press any button - including the credit switch. If the game produces sounds, then you can focus on the monitor.

If you've got an Electrohome G07 - you're in luck. Those are the easiest monitors in the world to rebuild, even with minimal electronics knowledge. There are so many webpages out there with a plethora of info on how to cap (or, do a complete rebuild on) one. If you can solder, you can repair a G07 easily.

If you've got a WG K4600 - be prepared to put in alot of time fixing it. Those are probably the worst designed (from a repair standpoint) monitors ever built. You will know it's a k4600 if it has two daughter cards attached to the main PCB. Those daughter cards may have worked loose. K4600's are also notorious for having cold solder joints.

My Pac-Man had a K4600. Every time I fixed one problem, another would pop up. It finally died, back in September. I lucked out, and found a new Vision Pro, about a month ago.

And checking the fuses is definitely another step in the right direction.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 12-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK,

Pac Man machines are notorious for crappy fuse holders. They corrode/tarnish and lose their springiness which leads to no power going through.

Replace the fuse holders with replacements you can get at your nearest Radio Shack.

RJ