ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default GET LAMP text adventure documentary

I figure classic gaming is probably where this belongs.

Not fifteen minutes ago, a documentary that I have been eagerly anticipating became available for pre-order. Or, at least, an email went out informing the fans of said fact.

A few years back, a guy named Jason Scott made a documentary on BBSes. Now he's done one on text adventures.

It looks fascinating, and until December 30 of 2009, it's 25% off.

http://www.getlamp.com/order

I thoroughly enjoyed the BBS documentary (what was it called? Flack posted the notice of it...can't remember in my haste and excitement). From all appearances, this looks to be of similarly high quality. Oddly enough, I'm most excited to hear Edward Packard (author / creator of the Choose Your Own Adventure book series) be interviewed. I mean, the rest of them are cool, but I loved CYOA books even more than the text adventures.

Anyways - there it is. Get it while it's hot!
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds awesome. I haven't seen his other documentary, so I may check it out beforehand.

Thanks for the info.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the BBS documentary (what was it called? Flack posted the notice of it...can't remember in my haste and excitement)
    According to the site you posted, it was called "BBS: THE DOCUMENTARY".

This does look really cool, I am into adventure games so it would be interesting. I don't usually spend that much on DVDs though, I'll look into his other documentary first to see what it's like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I just got the email and was going to post about it.

Do you think this might belong in the buying and selling area? It might get more sales for him there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to order this but that is a lot of money for a DVD. Hmm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octopod View Post
    I want to order this but that is a lot of money for a DVD. Hmm...
    I'm not sure how long it'll be, but it's more than just "a DVD". BBS: The Documentary was 3 DVDs which contained six different documentaries and a slew of extras. I don't know what all Get Lamp will include, but it'll be well worth the money.

Jason also offers a combo deal with the BBS Documentary and my book (Commodork) for $50 on his page (http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/order)

I've already paid for two copies of Get Lamp, one for me and one for my dad who introduced me to text adventures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really want both documentaries, damn it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I just got this in the mail a few days ago and was surprised not to see someone else posting about this already. Anyone else here watched it yet?

This one feels a bit more disjointed than the BBS documentary, but is still really, really fascinating - loads of interviews with the people who made those text adventures, including most of the big Infocom guys (and gals) and even some other people like Robert Pinsky (poet laureate of the US, '97-'00), Warren Robinett, and John Romero. And Chris Crawford - his seven-minute extra bit was really good, I thought, even though it's the same drum he's been beating for years.

Only thing I sort of wasn't as interested in was the amount of interviews by the "fans." My favorite part was the whole documentary was the episode about Infocom; I wish there had been more of that kind of in-depth data about the text adventures from the "classic" era, when text adventures actually sold for money. I dunno; guess I just wasn't so jazzed about all the academics and other peeps going around insisting on the "interactive fiction" moniker for text adventures and how much "art" it is and whatnot, but maybe that's just me. It wasn't awful; it just wasn't quite so intriguing - the Infocom guys, and Robinett, and Romero, and those guys - they seemed like they weren't so much interested in talking about what made "interactive fiction" so "profound" and were more willing to sit back and reflect on what made text adventures so engaging and fun. Maybe, in addition, those guys had also faced the realities of a "marketplace" for games, and had the perspective of seeing how and why text adventures aren't sold much any more, and why they did back in the day.

So...anyone else watched this? Thoughts?
    Last edited by calthaer; 08-11-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legend of the Red Dragon was the stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tyalmath
    Steam
    Tyalmath

Meant to get this during the promotional period but completely neglected to. He seems to be running low on the initial batch now, so I guess I should order one soon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I just got this in the mail a few days ago and was surprised not to see someone else posting about this already. Anyone else here watched it yet?

This one feels a bit more disjointed than the BBS documentary, but is still really, really fascinating - loads of interviews with the people who made those text adventures, including most of the big Infocom guys (and gals) and even some other people like Robert Pinsky (poet laureate of the US, '97-'00), Warren Robinett, and John Romero. And Chris Crawford - his seven-minute extra bit was really good, I thought, even though it's the same drum he's been beating for years.

Only thing I sort of wasn't as interested in was the amount of interviews by the "fans." My favorite part was the whole documentary was the episode about Infocom; I wish there had been more of that kind of in-depth data about the text adventures from the "classic" era, when text adventures actually sold for money. I dunno; guess I just wasn't so jazzed about all the academics and other peeps going around insisting on the "interactive fiction" moniker for text adventures and how much "art" it is and whatnot, but maybe that's just me. It wasn't awful; it just wasn't quite so intriguing - the Infocom guys, and Robinett, and Romero, and those guys - they seemed like they weren't so much interested in talking about what made "interactive fiction" so "profound" and were more willing to sit back and reflect on what made text adventures so engaging and fun. Maybe, in addition, those guys had also faced the realities of a "marketplace" for games, and had the perspective of seeing how and why text adventures aren't sold much any more, and why they did back in the day.

So...anyone else watched this? Thoughts?
    I've been watching it over the past couple of days. I had planned on watching everything Monday night and writing a review later this week but, duty called and I am now out of town. At least I have my laptop and my DVDs with me!

I need to watch it again before writing a review. There's a lot to take in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played quite a bit of Infocom and Sierra's later IF/adventure games in the late 80s to early 90s. Thanks for reminding me to pick this up. I should be a nice trip down memory lane.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    Legend of the Red Dragon was the stuff.
    Many memories.

P.S. We need rain badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I'm sure it's worth it but it's a bit too pricey for my budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I finished my review -- it's in the form of an online text adventure.

Get Lamp: An Interactive Review