Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on "modern" gaming

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Giving up on "modern" gaming

This summer I bought a used PS2 and about 20 games I've enjoyed it at times and at other times questioned whether or not I'm just wasting time. I ask this question on this forum because I know their are many members here my age and I'd like to hear if you ever think about just concentraiting on the older classic consoles.

Some examples of my angst...
    I almost have an empty feeling when I complete game like GTA3 and see I've only really completed 50% of it and have to find 100 hidden packages or complete tedius side missions like the taxi mission.

I got into the CoD and Medal of Honor series. I'm almost starting to feel like once I've played one 1st person shooter you've played them all.

Lastly sports games. I got NFL 2k5 and you almost need to be a NFL coach to understand the playbook. Every positional player has so many different moves you really have to dedicate a lot of time just in learning how to control your players.

Anyone else ever feel like this? Or should I give the Ps2 some more time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sCrhRPCMg BYE BYE MODERN GAMING ahem
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Get better games.

Really.

ETA: Richter, at least link to the REAL video. With the right title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840B27zYfOk
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post

Anyone else ever feel like this? Or should I give the Ps2 some more time?

Yeah... these things happen. It's very common to bounce back and forth between current gen consoles, and then excluding them and going totally retro for awhile. I tend to bounce back and forth. Been playing more modern stuff lately, but I know exactly what you mean. A few years ago, I didn't touch any modern games at all. Was exclusively retro.

My suggestion is don't think of it as needing to totally get rid of all your modern stuff, just box it up and put it in a closet or the garage. Play your retro stuff. You'll go back to the modern stuff eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    I don't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I dont think the PlayStation 2 is considered a good representation in regards to "Modern" games anymore...
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Omg, while It's true most game suck post PS 1, those games you listed are about as meh as you can get.

You really need to get better games. For instance: Basisically anything published by NIS, most ATLUS games, Soul Caliber, Marvel Vs Capcom 2(if you don't have a working DC), and exc.

There are a metric ton of great games on PS1, and the handheld systems as well(DS/PSP). Like has been states, It's common to switch between new school systems(depending on what's coming out, on what system). There are 3 games that I'll be pre-ordering that are released in Back to Back months(Ragnarok Online for the DS, Shiren the Wanderer for the wii in Feb, and SMT: Strange Journey for the DS in March), and another two games I plan to look into around june.

As you can tell, I won't be playing much PS2 in the first quarter of the year, as the good games coming out then, are on the DS, and wii.

Also as hinted by others, It's faily common to go totally retro from time to time, becaues there usually aren't many great new games a year, however I must say, 2010 is off the a dam good start.

PS. You have to try to remember, It's not like it was in the golden age, where most of the games that companies spewed out were good, in fact now most are really bad sigh or has that uncomplete feel to it(aka, it could've been so much better).
    Last edited by Zoltor; 12-19-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

With modern games you kinda have to pick your battles. I've finished a few games 100%, but only those that are part of series I enjoy or really pull me in from the start. There are plenty of others that I went through the story alone and never made a lot of effort to get/do everything.

First person shooters are differentiated by the setting, much like other typical games. Once a formula works, there are a ton of games that come along to follow it. Best bet it to find ones that you deem interesting and try not to pick them apart too much. You have to go in with the mindset that you're going to rely on setting and story to get you through and keep your interest.

I personally suggest a few games that are just a little different than most on the system:

-Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms

These are great 3rd person action RPGs. They're not games for everybody, but if a person like me who is not into RPG games at all could enjoy them immensely, I think there's at least some value to be had for others.

-ICO and Shadow of the Colossus

These titles are off the beaten path and are lauded as some of the best titles the system has to offer. I'd almost say that they're required plays for PS2 owners.

-Amplitude and FreQuency

If you have an interest in music/rhythm games, these are ones to try. They're basically precursors to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, as they're developed by the same folks.

-Ratchet & Clank (any)

So these are mostly typical platformer titles, but they're really, really good.

As others have said, I wouldn't rid myself of the system entirely. Put it away if you find yourself growing tired of it and come back to it later. In all honesty, the games you mention are just standard titles that are good on their own merits, but aren't something that really taps into that gaming vibe, so to speak.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Get a Gamecube or at the very least heavily invest in the games- pound for pound the Cube had the best quality games of the last generation.

But if you're looking for truly killer PS2 titles (and I can't say I blame you), Devil May Cry (particularly #3) and God of War are about as good as the action-console genre get, Disgaea 1 & 2 were cracking little RPGs, you seem to have overlooked Katamari Damacy, Okami is an instant classic and (though your mileage may admittedly vary on this one) the 3D Mortal Kombat games were woefully underrated.

Oh, and you can do a lot worse than give Flipnic a try.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I find it funny to see everyone saying "get better games." I'm sorry, but I remember nearly every game he listed being an 8-9 rated game upon release. Those are supposed to be the best games, aren't they? Interesting...

I would say keep the PS2, but look for those games that have that classic inventive feel, but with a modern touch. Games like Katamari Damacy, Everywhere Road Trip / Choro Q (the CarPGs), Rez, Freestyle Metal X (if for nothing else, the mini game you can unlock where you try to launch your rider onto a target in Hell). There are also some good classic compilations worth looking for as well.

You don't need better games, you need the right games
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    It's not like it was in the golden age, where most of the games that companies spewed out were good
    AHAHAHAHA!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A least your name isn't "PS3Guy" then. That'd be embarrassing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I find it funny to see everyone saying "get better games." I'm sorry, but I remember nearly every game he listed being an 8-9 rated game upon release. Those are supposed to be the best games, aren't they? Interesting...

I would say keep the PS2, but look for those games that have that classic inventive feel, but with a modern touch. Games like Katamari Damacy, Everywhere Road Trip / Choro Q (the CarPGs), Rez, Freestyle Metal X (if for nothing else, the mini game you can unlock where you try to launch your rider onto a target in Hell). There are also some good classic compilations worth looking for as well.

You don't need better games, you need the right games
    How long have you been playing games? The reviewers are crappy, and corrupt to say the least these days.

Never, I said ******* "NEVER" go by professional(lol, not so professional) reviewer sites's reviews.

Gamefaqs is more reliable(as they are writing by actual gamers), but in this day, and age, there are alot of people that never actually played a good game before.

GTA is decent for momantary fun(such as jumping off a roof in a bike/car, exc), but as a game to "beat", it sucks, and the other games he listed are meh at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Gamefaqs is more reliable
    AHAHAHAHA!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    AHAHAHAHA!
    Next time quote the entire statement ******.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With modern games you kinda have to pick your battles. I've finished a few games 100%, but only those that are part of series I enjoy or really pull me in from the start. There are plenty of others that I went through the story alone and never made a lot of effort to get/do everything.

First person shooters are differentiated by the setting, much like other typical games. Once a formula works, there are a ton of games that come along to follow it. Best bet it to find ones that you deem interesting and try not to pick them apart too much. You have to go in with the mindset that you're going to rely on setting and story to get you through and keep your interest.

I personally suggest a few games that are just a little different than most on the system:

-Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms

These are great 3rd person action RPGs. They're not games for everybody, but if a person like me who is not into RPG games at all could enjoy them immensely, I think there's at least some value to be had for others.

-ICO and Shadow of the Colossus

These titles are off the beaten path and are lauded as some of the best titles the system has to offer. I'd almost say that they're required plays for PS2 owners.

-Amplitude and FreQuency

If you have an interest in music/rhythm games, these are ones to try. They're basically precursors to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, as they're developed by the same folks.

-Ratchet & Clank (any)

So these are mostly typical platformer titles, but they're really, really good.

As others have said, I wouldn't rid myself of the system entirely. Put it away if you find yourself growing tired of it and come back to it later. In all honesty, the games you mention are just standard titles that are good on their own merits, but aren't something that really taps into that gaming vibe, so to speak.
    I couldn't have said this better myself. And if you end up liking the Champions games, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II are both very good as well.
    Gaming wife and mom to 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Next time quote the entire statement ******.
    Why quote the entire thing when the first part is all anyone needs to see to laugh at?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why quote the entire thing when the first part is all anyone needs to see to laugh at?

No you terd, there was a foot note, along with the rest of the sentance, that "you" decided to ignore, you don't put only half the statement up.

I'm not talking about quoting the entire post, but you dam well better quote the entire statement, not just what "you" want to see.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 12-19-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Most Gamefaqs uses are 10 to 16 years old, how are their opinions more reliable than someone who has played enough games to built a solid foundation for review? Don't even get me started on grammar....

I laugh at the Gamefaqs reviews I've written.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn you guys are quick responders! Thanks for being so helpful and taking my post seriously. I read through my original post this morning and it looks almost like a troll post with all the whining.

Maybe the games I've picked thus far for the ps2 are lousy. But as scooter23 pointed out a lot of those games did receive positive reviews from professionals and just plain gamers. So this all comes down to the individual. I'll try some of these others you guys have mentioned. But I will say after looking at Oobgarml's list those are all games I would NEVER buy just by researching them or seeing them on the local shelf. But those may be exactly what I need to get out of this funk.

My girlfriend got a Wii when I got the Ps2 and I thought that was the silliest console anyone could buy, until she just picked up the new Super Mario Bros and Mega Man 9 and I can play these two games all night long.

Zoltor you mention the Ps1 and I had one of those back in high school for about a year. I know this is a broad over statement but I never got into the Ps1 either and with my limited experience with the Ps2 I feel it is just a prettier update of the Ps1.

Sonicwolf, I understand the Ps2 isn't a great representation of "modern" gaming. That said I can't afford a Ps3 or Xbox360 and with the way I'm feeling about the Ps2, both of those consoles appear to basically just extend into the prettier graphics and updates of the previous generation's 3d games like the Ps2 did to the Ps1. I would have traded all my NES games as a child if you told me there would be games as realistic looking as the newer ones. Now I feel like they are only realistic until they get terribly dated.