Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Straw (PS2 Controllers)

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Last Straw (PS2 Controllers)

I have had my PS2 since 2001 and the controllers just do not seem to last for me. Just to clarify, my house has 2 PS2s (in rooms on opposite ends of the basement.) I inherited my family's original unit, that we got for christmas in 2001. It has a faulty CD lens, forcing me to put a spindle of duct tape around the center of the disc (between the data and the hole in the center) in order for it to play CD-format games. This caused me to be at a loss with a lot of my favorite games for a good two years, and it took quite a while for that information to show up on the internet. Upon recieving the PS2 i was informed that the plastic that surrounds the controller port was broken as well. All still works though, as I have been playing MGS3 and MGS2 at various points in the past month.

Now, on to the main problem. Our official PS2 controllers. The first one went missing. The second one broke after much strenuous use. We have gone through an insane amount of controllers since. Then we moved on to a MadCatz DualForce 2. They died eventually. My dad got a Madcatz Red Sox one which seems to work fine for him...and still works. I got a Psyclone controller for myself, and have been using that for not only a year when it dies on me today in the middle of the fight with Solidus. We also have a third party red-colored Performance one that my 8yr old brother has been using just the other day to play Ape Escape 2...which somehow seemed to break just conveniently while I was trying to provide my father with a controller to play with.

My brother of 12 bought his own GameStop controller, and he has yet to complain of its possible disfunction.

The problem all these controllers seem to have when we try to use them on BOTH playstations is this: The red Analog light can be turned on and off, but no other buttons are responsive at ALL.

Please help, I am tired of shelling out 10-20 dollars per controller every few months.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I've known third-party controllers for just about any platform to be unreliable. They are made with cheaper materials than the originals most of the time.

If I were you I would get an official Dualshock 2 controller. I've had PS2 since 2001 or 2002 and the controllers aren't even worn out yet. I've probably played it more than my other systems till summer just 2 years ago when I got my 60GB PS3.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the official ones as well though, and the problem they developed was being extremely loose at the ponit where the wire met the controller.

and in my experience, most third party controllers arent half bad. It's just the ps2 ones that are terrible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah I know what you mean about the PS2 third party controllers being worse than some others. I experienced more of those problems in the PS1 era.

One big thing about video game controllers is to never wrap the cord around the controller when not in use, that actually wears out the cord. I don't know if you ever do that but it's best to rubber band or twist tie your controllers in line with the factory folds.

With Sega Genesis controllers the material is more stiff so I learned about these things while using them. I had this one that had a bunch of permanent creases caused by improper wrapping of the wires. The cord almost looked zigzag shaped.

Improper wrapping also caused inability for my uncle to use his SNES AC Adapter so he had to go buy a third party replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to do a wrap 'off the controller' as well. What I tend to do is grab the cord in my off hand just shy of the 'boot' going into the controller body, then I wrap the cord around my hand until I have just enough left to tuck through the loops to hold it. I've seen a few controllers in my day where the boot has come free from the cable's rubber cover, exposing the thin thin, THIN wires inside it, including one 3rd party controller that I've never wrapped the cord around the controller body.

These days, I'm becoming more of a proponent of first party in terms of gamepads, if only because my MadCatz PS1 DualForce that I'd been swearing by started to get really quirky on me to the point of seriously unbalancing a one on one versus fighting game.
    "I've not seen such bravery!"

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Just buy official Dual-Shocks. I got my Playstation in '96, and my PS2 in 2000 and I've never had a Sony controller crap out on me before a reasonable amount of use. I'm talking years. As a matter of fact, I'm still happy with the controller that came with my PS2 9 years ago.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

i have had my ps2 since the day it came out, and still have both of the original controllers i bought for it. They work great still today. Sorry about your luck, but i would stick with Sony brand.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

My original ps2 official controller only lasted me 3 years, all other 3rd party controllers work fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    One big thing about video game controllers is to never wrap the cord around the controller when not in use, that actually wears out the cord. I don't know if you ever do that but it's best to rubber band or twist tie your controllers in line with the factory folds.
    >_> i never thought this to be a problem. Does it only apply to PS2 controllers? i do the same to NES, SNES, Genesis, GameCube, Atari, N64, etc and they dont ever seem to have a problem, and none of the controllers have crapped out on me on these other systems. I'm still using my original NES and SNES controllers (i believe my SNES was bought in '95, NES in '90)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    I had the official ones as well though, and the problem they developed was being extremely loose at the ponit where the wire met the controller.

and in my experience, most third party controllers arent half bad. It's just the ps2 ones that are terrible
    Jferio is right.

The reason that the wire is pulling from the controller is because you (or somebody else) is wrapping the controller cord around the controller.

When you start that type of wrap, the first pull torques the cord OUT of its hole, and each subsequent wrap pulls it tighter.

When you wrap controller cords you should wrap them around your hand (held flat like a karate chop) then squeeze the cord together lightly and throw a velcro cable tie (or a thick rubber band, but really you can't lose with a velcro cable tie) around it.

This goes for ANY electronic equipment with a cord which dangles ... if you wrap it AROUND the device you're asking for electronic/electrical damage.

Game controllers like PS2, NES, SNES, etc (raw cords going straight into a hole with no protective/anchor methods) are especially succeptable to this type of damage.

Additionally, you'll find that the "twist" and "torque" that the "wrap around the controller" causes is usually a spiraling of the internal cords and a stretching of the exterior rubber which causes an un-straighten-able pattern. (Which I like to call phone cord syndrome.)

A company called Katana makes high quality, licensed Dual Shock 2 controllers ...

... wireless may be the way to go for you and your crew.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-26-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Dude treat your stuff better and it won't be a problem. And don't wrap the cords around the controllers. If you have to, do it loose as hell.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hah you're saying i dont treat my stuff well? you should see how my brothers treat their stuff. I had no idea that wrapping the cord around like that was bad for the controllers. My brothers were the ones that broke my PS2, to begin with. And my parents were the ones that tought me to wrap the controllers like that.The wires are so cumbersome when you're trying to store them otherwise.
    Last edited by Game Freak; 12-26-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah my parents taught me those ways as well as blowing into game cartidges. But of course both things are risky. I learned that there were better ways only after experience and seeing some of my stuff degrade over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was using a Logitech Cordless Action Controller with my PS2 until my original PS2 crapped out last year. It was just as responsive as the dual-shock and the build quality is as good as anything from Sony. I got the action for $20.

Logitech also has a Cordless precision wireless which is just as good imo and retailed for $20.

I've actually got a large selection of wireless controllers for the PS2 because of Circuit City blowing them out for $5-10 there in the months before they went under. Most are good right up until you play a game that relies on the shoulder buttons. I wouldn't bother with anything but the Logitech. Two mini Psyclone wireless PS2 controllers for $10 sounds like an amazing deal right until you use them.

I think the oddest one that I own has to be the NERF wireless PS2 controller just because it's surrounded by NERF foam. CC had the red/yellow model blowout for $5 at the end. No rumble but works on AAA batteries instead of AA and is air light.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just find it funny how ur dads controler still works just fine, but you keep killing yours????? Maybe your dads on to something, i would do what he does. When you get pissd dont whip the controler

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the logitech wireless controllers are great, but I've wore out the control sticks on 2 or 3. really the 1st party dualshock controllers have lasted the longest for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

>_> i never thought this to be a problem. Does it only apply to PS2 controllers? i do the same to NES, SNES, Genesis, GameCube, Atari, N64, etc and they dont ever seem to have a problem, and none of the controllers have crapped out on me on these other systems. I'm still using my original NES and SNES controllers (i believe my SNES was bought in '95, NES in '90)
    Same here, and never any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Part of this depends on the quality of the cord on the controller... in my experience they'll reduce the durability to shave 10 cents from the manufacturing costs. I've seen wires in controller cords lately that are practically thin enough to sew garments with.
    "I've not seen such bravery!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you need to wrap the cord around any Sony controller, don't just wrap it around the center. Wrap it around the sides so that it isn't wound in such tight circles and the part closest to the pad doesn't bend so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like the Logitech wireless one. havent had any problems.