Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII LVL 1-3 Map ... I hope you like Linear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

After beating Final Fantasy X, I told myself I was not going to waste my time with further installments of the series. I had slight hopes for XIII, but they are shot to hell now.

There are lots of JRPGs to pick from that, IMO, do the genre just as good if not better than the FF series. I thought FFX was complete crap. I hated the characters and the story. I disliked it's linearity, but I could deal with it. I also hated the battle system and thought it was the worst of any FF installment. But the sphere grid was the most ridiculous, unnecessary, inefficient, Spec system I have ever used. I will say that the one redeeming aspect of FF X for me was that Umetsus score was marginally better than the one he composed for IX, but when you hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up.

I was halfheartedly excited about FF XIII but after seeing the trailers and reading up on it, it looks like I will be keeping true to my word and passing up this installment as well. I could deal with the linearity, I wouldn't want too, but I could adjust. But if they used a system similar to the Sphere Grid, which is what I am hearing, then I'm out. I HATE the Sphere Grid. Also, where the Fudge are my random battles?!?! Seriously what the hell!? If I wanted to see my enemies then I would go play a Game Arts RPG. I want my random battles. I was hoping after FFXII they would go back... Obviously not...
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    FFIX, released in 2000.
    touche!

I am also not happy with the game progressing more like a movie than an exploration, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt as the only FF games I disliked were 8 & 11. I'm hoping to be surprised. I like how Square evolves each FF so its relatively different from the previous. The old school gamer hates the changes at first and misses the nostalgic feel of the NES/SNES days but then after a few hours the games grow on me to the point where I am having a blast with it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ShinGundam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I wanted to see my enemies then I would go play a Game Arts RPG.
    Holy crap do they still make RPGs anymore ?
    Seriously guys stop the hate. I'm sure FFXIII will be great as long as you expect the right things :P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post

There are lots of JRPGs to pick from that, IMO, do the genre just as good if not better than the FF series.
    Like what? I need some new RPGs to play.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    touche!

I am also not happy with the game progressing more like a movie than an exploration, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt as the only FF games I disliked were 8 & 11. I'm hoping to be surprised. I like how Square evolves each FF so its relatively different from the previous. The old school gamer hates the changes at first and misses the nostalgic feel of the NES/SNES days but then after a few hours the games grow on me to the point where I am having a blast with it.
    There's a big differance between changing one good system to another, and then changing one bad system to an increasingly worse system or dare I say changing genre completely.

All square cares about is making a good looking trailer for a press release(thus allowing them to sell the biggest, and cheapest POS they can come up with).

I think they actually realized RPGs can't go 3D, and they know any true RPGer would know this(3D, and the RPG genre just don't go together, you can do semi 3D though, just not pure 3D), so since all Square cares about is flashy graphics, they changed the genre of the series(twice now).

Lol, not like any true FF fan even buys Square games anymore, but what kind of drugs must someone be doing, to believe this was a good move to a long running series, which somewhere down the road once had an insanely big fanbase.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 01-01-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    Holy crap do they still make RPGs anymore ?
    Seriously guys stop the hate. I'm sure FFXIII will be great as long as you expect the right things :P
    You mean not to expect a RPG then, right(and we should ignore the name of the game as well, because it sure Isn't a FF game)?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I think they actually realized RPGs can't go 3D, and they know any true RPGer would know this(3D, and the RPG genre just don't go together, you can do semi 3D though, just not pure 3D), so since all Square cares about is flashy graphics, they changed the genre of the series(twice now).
    Really now... what makes you say this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    You mean not to expect a RPG then, right(and we should ignore the name of the game as well, because it sure Isn't a FF game)?
    Or there are no explicit rules for how a Final Fantasy game should be :P
    Go retro(FF9) - Tactics (FFT) - Pseudo-MMORPG (FF12) - Action RPG(Versus) etc
    Hmm, how am I going to explain this? Maybe they always encourage designers
    to experiment and allowed them to take risks :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Really now... what makes you say this?
    Ah yea, I'm probally giving square too much credit I'm sure.

It's utterly pointless, and sloppy as all hell to have a 3D RPG(not to mention a complete waste of space), the 3D will always look out of place. Remember we're not talking about a FPS here or a straight up action game.

RPGs aren't the only genre that really doesn't mix with a 3D format, traditional strategy ot Tactic/RPGs don't mix good with 3D either.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

User: Zoltor, are you daft?

-GoTaS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's utterly pointless, and sloppy as all hell to have a 3D RPG(not to mention a complete waste of space), the 3D will always look out of place. Remember we're not talking about a FPS here or a straight up action game.

RPGs aren't the only genre that really doesn't mix with a 3D format, traditional strategy ot Tactic/RPGs don't mix good with 3D either.
    Man, where do you come from? a cave stuck in 1996? There have been plenty of awesome 3D RPGs that work well. More recent examples (aside from FF series since you seem to hate them all) can be Oblivion, Fallout, Fables, etc... You don't think those are good 3D RPGs?

...and WTF are you talking about tactics games don't work in 3D? Tactics Ogre sure did a good job (also FFT, yes, a FF game, crap) The 3rd dimension was a cool addition, making the board with levels.

Seriously, don't be so closed-minded... and welcome to 2010!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play both 2D and 3D and they are still RPGs to me
    Also this is boss battle from FF13 (SPOILER only for you :P)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1489K-DS3YE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkm7tp44PRo
    2D or 3D no one care because they still enjoy it
    Last edited by ShinGundam; 01-01-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    Or there are no explicit rules for how a Final Fantasy game should be :P
    Go retro(FF9) - Tactics (FFT) - Pseudo-MMORPG (FF12) - Action RPG(Versus) etc
    Hmm, how am I going to explain this? Maybe they always encourage designers
    to experiment and allowed them to take risks :P

Lol you are a joke, do you really considered FF 9 retro, that's ashame(Square tried to make it have a retro feel, but failed horribly, nearly the entire game is movie diven).

Also you have no right to list FFT in that statement, since It's a spin off series.

Wow, you can't be actually defending Square, the single company that is credited with the down fall of the gaming industry, then a few other companies followed afterwards(like sony with their crappy marketing scams, and the worst customer service in the history of the industry).

Actually series based games, should at very least be the same genre(really should have simular art styles as well as dungeon designs, so they have a simular feel) or they have no right to be called the name.

Truth be had though, even if FF 12, 11, X-2, X, and 9(lol not to mention the upcoming 13, and 14) didn't have a FF name, they would still suck, and FF 8 would only be good to possibly very good depending on taste(not great, and sure as hell not "one of the GREATS").

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol you are a joke, do you really considered FF 9 retro, that's ashame(Square tried to make it have a retro feel, but failed horribly, nearly the entire game is movie diven).

Also you have no right to list FFT in that statement, since It's a spin off series.

Wow, you can't be actually defending Square, the single company that is credited with the down fall of the gaming industry, then a few other companies followed afterwards(like sony with their crappy marketing scams, and the worst customer service in the history of the industry).

Actually series based games, should at very least be the same genre(really should have simular art styles as well as dungeon designs, so they have a simular feel) or they have no right to be called the name.

Truth be had though, even if FF 12, 11, X-2, X, and 9(lol not to mention the upcoming 13, and 14) didn't have a FF name, they would still suck, and FF 8 would only be good to possibly very good depending on taste(not great, and sure as hell not "one of the GREATS").
    Ok ok 3rd RPGs suck and FF games sucks

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Man, where do you come from? a cave stuck in 1996? There have been plenty of awesome 3D RPGs that work well. More recent examples (aside from FF series since you seem to hate them all) can be Oblivion, Fallout, Fables, etc... You don't think those are good 3D RPGs?

...and WTF are you talking about tactics games don't work in 3D? Tactics Ogre sure did a good job (also FFT, yes, a FF game, crap) The 3rd dimension was a cool addition, making the board with levels.

Seriously, don't be so closed-minded... and welcome to 2010!
    You clearly have no idea what true 3D is(TO/FFT has 3D sprites "only", everything else is 2D with camera angle changing/turning.

You do realise artist draw 2D pictures all the time, with give the impression it is 3D right lol, It's the same thing here). There is a ******* huge differance between True 3D or something drawn in 2D to give a 3D kind'v feel(which is what's refered to as semi 3D, not true 3D which you are trying to make it out to be).

I bet you think FF7 is Pure 3D as well then(sorry to break it to you, but It's not). DQ 7 is another semi 3D game, where DQ 8 was a true 3D game.

I have yet to see any good 3D game made, with DQ 8 probally being the best one, which was craptastic to say the least.

PS. I can't believe I need to debate this, It's very easy to tell between true 3D and semi 3D/simulated 3D(aka 2D made to look 3D)
    Last edited by Zoltor; 01-01-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    Like what? I need some new RPGs to play.
    If you haven't played Wild Arms 4, then I strongly suggest it. It's not current gen but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best RPGs I have played in years. WA 1, 2, and 3 were very similar games and the series started to get a little stale.

Wild Arms 4 came along and completely rebooted the series while still retaining the spirit of the originals. They replaced the standard turn based battle system with the the "Hex Grid" battle system that I found to be every bit as refreshing as Shadow Hearts "Judgment Ring". You actually get involved in the battles. The Hex Grid is one of my favorite battle systems in recent years. It is a very simple idea that allows for a lot of depth and strategy. You can cast spell effects in certain hexes and move around the hexes to corner enemies. It allows for so much variety.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the level design. There are a lot of dungeons in the game where there will be stretches of 2.5d platforming! It's awesome! The game will actually assume a side view and it literally turns into a platformer of sorts where you have to jump over crumbling bridges and moving platforms. There is some really good puzzle solving going on as well. I was amazed at how well placed the 2.5d platforming sections were. They are usually at midpoint in the dungeons and break up the pace of standard dungeon crawling.

I'm not going to explain every detail, but they also added several other features that add a LOT to the game. There is a device called the "Accelerator" that slows down time and allows you to see hidden items. It also works into the platforming and puzzle sections nicely. I also like the unique approach of how you learn characters abilities and how they are incorporated into the game. The story is the same thing we have seen year after year, but it was delivered with solid dialog by characters that I actually cared about.

With each installment Final Fantasy evolves and refines a bit, but equally rehashes. Wild Arms 4 evolved, refined, and reinvigorated the JRPG genre by trying out fresh ideas or putting a unique twist on established ones. Wild Arms 4 may not have the budget or a sweeping story of Final Fantasy proportions, but as a game, IMO is much more fun to play and overall a much better experience than any FF game of the past 10 years.

If you were referring to current Gen JRPGs, then I am sorry, I can't help you out much there. I have only played Blue Dragon and I am only a few hours in at that. I have to say however, that this game has blown me away so far. It got a lot of flack and so far I have yet to see why. Every second I have spent with this game has fired up my imagination and kick started my youthful spirit in a way that no RPG has since Skies of Arcadia. I feel like a kid all over again where everything seems so unreal and fascinating. These kids are on an adventure and I'm right there with them. Hopefully the game will continue to impress.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

You clearly have no idea what true 3D is(TO/FFT has 3D sprites "only", everything else is 2D with camera angle changing/turning.

You do realise artist draw 2D pictures all the time, with give the impression it is 3D right lol, It's the same thing here). There is a ******* huge differance between True 3D or something drawn in 2D to give a 3D kind'v feel(which is what's refered to as semi 3D, not true 3D which you are trying to make it out to be).

I bet you think FF7 is Pure 3D as well then(sorry to break it to you, but It's not). DQ 7 is another semi 3D game, where DQ 8 was a true 3D game.

I have yet to see any good 3D game made, with DQ 8 probally being the best one, which was craptastic to say the least.

PS. I can't believe I need to debate this, It's very easy to tell between true 3D and semi 3D/simulated 3D(aka 2D made to look 3D)
    dude you're kind of stupid

name a good 3D strategy rpg? Valkirya Chronicles.

good 3D rpg? Tales of Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. Wild Arms 5. Dragon Age Origins. Final Fantasy XII. Dragon Quest 8!

Saying that an RPG has to be 2D to be any good is just stupid. It's one of the genres that can go from 2D to 3D and still play the same.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Zoltor hated Dragon Quest 8. Do we really need to make any further arguments that he's retarded?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey smart guy, while in TO and FFT the graphics may not true 3D as you say, but the game is played in 3D. You have 3 dimensions of movement, so you, my friend have no idea what you're talking about...and explain to me your incredible logic that FF destroyed the gaming industry??? hahahhaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No need to feed the troll.

Dude is either drunk, huffing keyboard duster, or is just trolling ... probably all the above.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.