Thread: Unpleasant Online Gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Post Unpleasant Online Gaming

I found this really interesting article on ExtremeTech about the horrid state that online gaming has dropped into in the 21st century...it took the words right out of my mouth. Check it out, its interesting. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2342389,00.asp

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

....pussy
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

..... . That is literally what i'm talking about. Its not that people do it and its "offensive", its just annoying and ruins a potentially good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK ; (! (pretty much the jest of the article)

I don't understand how the person in the article can be confused by peoples behavior in a online game. I get a little irritated when someone gets on their soapbox and complains about the general public cause he talks about it as if its something he can stop. You cant stop the general public or society >_>. That would be like the Mr show coupon the movie sketch where the film studio sued society.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think it's too bad, I've been playing online since the mid 90s and it all seems the same to me, other than the slightly more creative insults out there today.

Mute them, leave the game, or troll which is remarkably easy to do if you want some laughs, otherwise I guess you have to get used to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you want to play Quake Live or Left 4 Dead or anything on Xbox Live at 4AM, when you have to play with a batch of strangers, life can really start to suck. Prepare to be randomly, verbally abused for no real reason. Prepare to hear profanity spewed by awkward, adolescent voices. Even if you're not using VOIP, get ready to see hastily typed, or worse, macro recorded insults hurled at you as fast as immature fingers can produce them.
    Bwahahaha! What a wimp.

I'd go over to Byronic's house at 2am and he would be on his 360, drunk off his ass, shooting his own team in the back while playing Wesley Willis threw the voice. Kids would get so upset. Watching his assholery was like watching an artist at the canvas. I'll miss you bro.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Yeah. I guess so. Its just really, really irritating. Its mostly the tweens that make it the way it is, especially on the really "big" games (Halo, Gears, CoD, etc). Too bad there wasn't a brain scanner that could weed them out and not let them join XD. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

The guy who wrote that article is a bitch, the thing many people love the most about online gaming is being anonymous and being able to vent without ever knowing who the people are or having to see them. You can get laughs from people yelling at each and practice your insults. The only thing annoying about online gaming is kids that are so young it sounds like they are still breast feeding, and they just yell into the mic or sing rap songs.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    the thing many people love the most about THE INTERNET is being anonymous and being able to vent AND STEAL THINGS without ever knowing who the people are or having to see them.
    Just in case anybody thought this was a good thing.

Anyway, I didn't want to hear the author's sob story, but I'm pretty familiar with it. This year I stopped playing online FPSes almost entirely and I'm (surprisingly, it didn't hit me until now) much happier for it. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is tough but it doesn't actually say "YOU SUCK" or worse.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 12-28-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I don't think it's too bad, I've been playing online since the mid 90s and it all seems the same to me, other than the slightly more creative insults out there today.

Mute them, leave the game, or troll which is remarkably easy to do if you want some laughs, otherwise I guess you have to get used to it.
    This. It's always been the way it is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The funny thing is half the time the ones who run their mouth like they're the shit are really sore losers. It wasn't always this way but these days it's more the case than not.

One of the most annoying things about Gears of War (using as an example) is that the matches are short and someone thinks they are bad ass just cause of one or two kills instead of laughing and saying "aw yeah man that was a good one" they instead say "you suck bitch YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and you have to sit there and wait to get revenge just to kill them so they say "you got lucky" or "who cares" and quit, GETS FUCKING OLD QUICK.

Everyone can defend these pre-puberty teens all they want but truth is it never compares to getting a good squad of mates who truely all play good and dish the dirt accordingly. Unfortunately this attitude has spread like a disease the last few years and finding truely "good" gamers is become more rare as the "pop in and get a kill" mentality is taking over.

At least back in the day "Quake 3" players would talk shit till they got to know you and if you had skills would befriend you and be cool and you could have some good rail gun matches and set battles. Noone takes time to get into games anymore, there are too many options.

If I could say anything to the poster of this article it would be "find a game you like and stick with it" cause when you really get to know the good players is when you have a really good time.

But bitches will always be bitches and the first place it is cured is when you stop being a sore loser. Relax, you can't win EVERY round, it's just a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

You cant change the actions of others, just yourself. I read half the thing and couldnt read any more. Sure, this isnt sporting behavior, it's not even decent conversation. What you going to do to change it though? Nothing. You cant change it. You can mute them, you can play friend only matches, but that's about it. If your friends aint on then learn to play solo games. There's a reason I'm not paying $50 to be on live. I'm not interested in playing some cry baby teen who cant handle loosing or things they have to insult me because they finished a lap .6 seconds faster. So help me though, if I ever do I'm going to start my own clan, guild, _____(fill in blank) and the official greeting will be faggot. Be it man or woman, we'll greet each other as brother or sister faggot. If you cant beat them, make light of them. Nothing pisses off a cry baby pussy like turning their insults on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

you know what i find wierd in that crybaby's diatribe?

the fact that he never mentioned racism, that is the only one that even comes close to provoking anything out of me, but usually not really, especially since half the time im the one who started throwing out the slurs

sue me

i dont care how composed you are, if you tell me that the first reaction out of you when u suddenly get sniped from seemingly out of nowhere by the same person twice in a row isnt an automatic, knee jerk, "....fucking faggot", then you sir.....are just not human

enjoy living on your robot reservations we set aside for you after we win the cyborg wars of 2037 faggots

its just a game, dont like it, mute it

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Just in case anybody thought this was a good thing.

Anyway, I didn't want to hear the author's sob story, but I'm pretty familiar with it. This year I stopped playing online FPSes almost entirely and I'm (surprisingly, it didn't hit me until now) much happier for it. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is tough but it doesn't actually say "YOU SUCK" or worse.
    If it did you sure would hear it a lot.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    i dont care how composed you are, if you tell me that the first reaction out of you when u suddenly get sniped from seemingly out of nowhere by the same person twice in a row isnt an automatic, knee jerk, "....fucking faggot", then you sir.....are just not human
    Some of us try to be more mature than that. He got you, get over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The article writer seems to have pretty thin skin despite his mentioning the opposite somewhere in there. The only time I've ever lost my temper is with obnoxious players in Diablo 1/2 that acted like "actofgod" in the Diablo 1 thread.

Most of his post in that thread:

----

1. No item level requirements meant you could "twink" your level 1 character with all the best gear. You just needed the help of a high level character to supply you with them or abuse the item duplication glitch. In pvp, you could take on average-geared players of much higher levels and win due to the amount of raw stats on the items.

2. Duping involved dropping an item and walking away from it for a second. Much fun ensued if you could sneak up and steal their item they were trying to dupe. (It's in character for the rogues anyway) Unlike single player you shouldn't leave things on the ground.

3. If the item he was trying to dupe was a powerful one, keep it for your twink set or dupe it yourself in a private, password-protected room.

4. Otherwise, have some more fun. When the player got mad, reassure them you'd return it, but only if they helped you complete a quest. "Let's go into the dungeon" you'd ask, and they'd comply -- you posed little threat to them as a lower level character. A few levels down when they were engaged in fighting and cut off from escape, you could suddenly take them by surprise and slay them (see point 1).

4. When players die in pvp, they drop half their gold. Collect your reward and cackle maniacally.

5. Apologize profusely. Then be a helpful fellow and use a scroll of resurrection on him. There, he's all better. Except he's at 10hp now... hmm. *chop* Collect another half of his remaining gold (1/4th). Repeat until you're getting less gold from slaying him than the cost of buying a new resurrection scroll.

Tips for success: don't carry gold yourself; carry a few high level rings that you can sell for huge amounts of gold if needed. Dupe them if you need more gold. Carry plenty of full-health potions to be sure you win the fights, and a scroll of town portal in case you start losing.

6. Optionally: give him back his items and gold when you've had your fun, unless he deserved it. Good times for all.

----

Lame tactics like that can ruin a good game (and it did ruin Diablo 1 along with hackers/dupers) even when you have a lot of friends playing the game.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

It's really not. But then I'm not an incredibly insecure homophobe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Find one of those good third party headsets (I use the Pelican Beach one), hook it up, turn the volume down on the mic portion of the headset. Ta-da! Don't have to listen to jack shit. Or if I feel like playing with my T.V's sound, plug in the mic portion of the headset (the Pelican Beach one allows your TV's sound to come through anyways), turn the mic volume down, mute MY mic and throw the thing onto the floor. Ta-da again!

It's an old XBLA lesson by now, but: play with your friends. Party function is bad ass because then the only convo you need to have is with people you know.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    Some of us try to be more mature than that. He got you, get over it.

take it easy terminator, unlike you, we're not all cold, calculating, killing machines, some of us humans just happen to naturally react to stimuli on a near unconcious level, DOES THAT COMPUTE???

i imagine u spilling hot grease on your arm and being totally unphased, not even flinching, just letting out an emotionless...."DANGERRR"

If you automatons were capable of human emotion, i'd probably think you had a bit of a crush on me the way u seem to follow me around from thread to thread.

i'll tell u something right now r2d2, u better just go right on ahead and launch those nukes at russia right now, cuz it'll never happen between us, i will never betray my people for the cold metallic embrace of your liquidy metal, T1000 arms, you hear me J5? Never, see you on the battlefield cylon....bring your spark plugs.

BONUS POINTS:
    theres a storm comin....BUM BUHBUH BUH BUM BUMBUM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

take it easy terminator, unlike you, we're not all cold, calculating, killing machines, some of us humans just happen to naturally react to stimuli on a near unconcious level, DOES THAT COMPUTE???

i imagine u spilling hot grease on your arm and being totally unphased, not even flinching, just letting out an emotionless...."DANGERRR"

If you automatons were capable of human emotion, i'd probably think you had a bit of a crush on me the way u seem to follow me around from thread to thread.

i'll tell u something right now r2d2, u better just go right on ahead and launch those nukes at russia right now, cuz it'll never happen between us, i will never betray my people for the cold metallic embrace of your liquidy metal, T1000 arms, you hear me J5? Never, see you on the battlefield cylon....bring your spark plugs.

BONUS POINTS:
    theres a storm comin....BUM BUHBUH BUH BUM BUMBUM!
    What?