Thread: Does anyone here use a power conditioner or a UPS versus just a surge protector?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone here use a power conditioner or a UPS versus just a surge protector?

I have been using a Belkin UPS (uninterrupted power supply I believe) for the past 2 years. I think I initially got it because I heard that black outs or brown outs could damage electrical equipment and I didn't want to put my classic systems at risk.

But the thing is damn ugly and takes up much needed floor space so I am thinking about going back to just a standard surge protector. I mean, I think a UPS or a power conditioner (to regulate/clean up AC power) is probably overkill. I am also unconvinced that a sudden drop in power would do much to an older video game system, but I was looking for some feedback from the forum.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

your general 10 dollar surgeprotectector is nothing more than an extension cord. Go for something in the upper range of prices, something that has a fast clamping time, has more than one MOV, preferably 3 or more, then youll be sitting good. I myself have an even better one than this, but hey, we get lots of power outages and surges here so. What you need is a surge supressor, not protector. Suprressors dissipate the voltage to ground, protectors simply throw a breaker and 3/4 times protectors fail to do this. Basically, ten dollar walmart protectors suck, go for a mid to high range supressor, and look to see if it has a few mov's. See here: http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...ppressors.html I cant find the telltale signs that it has an mov but you can look around for them.

Ahh here we go at the bottom, the l n, g n, etc. look for those signs on the box:
    http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...geprotect.html
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 12-31-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    your general 10 dollar surgeprotectector is nothing more than an extension cord. Go for something in the upper range of prices, something that has a fast clamping time, has more than one MOV, preferably 3 or more, then youll be sitting good. I myself have an even better one than this, but hey, we get lots of power outages and surges here so. What you need is a surge supressor, not protector. Suprressors dissipate the voltage to ground, protectors simply throw a breaker and 3/4 times protectors fail to do this. Basically, ten dollar walmart protectors suck, go for a mid to high range supressor, and look to see if it has a few mov's. See here: http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...ppressors.html I cant find the telltale signs that it has an mov but you can look around for them.

Ahh here we go at the bottom, the l n, g n, etc. look for those signs on the box:
    http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...geprotect.html
    Can you recommend a decent one for me?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pick your price range, go with a good company, its all about waht you need and what you trust. BTW dont get a belkin. Millions and millions of websites have em, tigerdirect, comp usa, egay, tons of places to get a good quality one that doesnt take up much space and doesnt cost a fortune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might PM 98pacecar about line conditioners. He has some rather exotic and expensive gear. I remember him having a line conditioner in his home theater setup that cost more then my 5.1 amp/sub/speakers combined.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A good ground at your electrical service is your best insurance policy against a lightning strike or power surge. As an electrician, my professional opinion is that home surge protectors aren't worth a shit regardless of what they promise. If you're that worried about your electronics, buy a transient voltage surge suppressor or just unplug your stuff during storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I unplug even my surge supressors during storms, there isnt one outlet in my room thats in use during any storm, I can go without an rpg for a few hours if it means saving my stuff. We unlplug our tvs downstairs and a few lamps and stuff as well, even though our house is properly grounded, it cant kill something if it aint plugged in.