Thread: Neo-Geo Arcade cab - with 120 games?

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo-Geo Arcade cab - with 120 games?

Found a guy who is selling a NEO Cabinet, loaded up with a cart that has 120 games or something. The cabinet is a 1 slot MVS (me thinks), am getting it for $400 if all is good when I go to look. Pictures do look good and he said he recently refurbished.

Good deal or no?
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

well he's selling you a 1slot with a bootleg cart these are convenient but you'll probably still want the originals. The bootleg is worth maybe a hundred bucks tops could be more. Seems a 1 slot shouldn't go for more than 150 or so. I'd try to get him down some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it's a multi-cart in there (usually 108 in 1 or higher, maybe multipes), only about 70% of the cart is real roms, the rest are useless hacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1-Slot pcbs, depending on the model, are typically worth no more then $70-80.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is an entire cabinet, not just the board.

Tutorials on SuperGuns

My Feedback here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's a 1-slot, then he has a multi cart plugged in. There is a 120 game multicart that a guy sells over on KLOV for 95.00. This means your paying about $305.00 for the cabinet (not including the cart). If it is in excellent condition than maybe it's worth it, but remember, he technically is selling a game with a pirate cart. You can google 120-in-1 neo geo, and find out how good the multi game is.

If there's any way you can find a neo-geo single slot that works well for under $300 dollars locally, then you might as well sign up for an account on KLOV yourself and buy the cart off the guy and save some money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior Jasen View Post
    This is an entire cabinet, not just the board.
    $400 is what I paid for mine. Lots of folks will be fully ready to tell you it's not worth that much. It probably isn't; however, since arcades locally were shabby even in the 90's, it was easily worth that much for me to not have to have one shipped. Mine is one of two I've ever even seen locally in person.

They're really common on the west coast and closer to larger cities, so they're obviously worth less in those places. If you don't have any other option besides shipping one, though, I'd say it's a reasonable (if not fantastic) price.

Also, yeah, that's a boot cart. I hear they're really convenient in 1-slots, but I'm way too OCD to have anything but originals. Don't buy it for the cart. Buy it so you can play real carts later on ^_^

Enjoy. NeoGeo is my current gaming machine of choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to see a fair # of cabs for sale in Massachusetts. If driving isn't an issue I'd poke around (or shipping would be much cheaper that close). At times I hate to say it, but NeoGeo.com might be worth a look for you also.
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would say if the cabinet is dedicated and is in excellent shape then it's a fair deal. I paid $200 for my 1 slot cabinet, and everyone else I know paid about the same for multislot cabinets. I would sell the pirate cart though and try to talk him down to $350, that way you get the cab for under $300 after selling the cartridge off. Also some things to look for to see if it is worth purchasing. Most important is monitor burn. Make sure the monitor looks good and ask to see it fired up. Make sure the coin doors work. Make sure the cabinet is not badly cracked or falling apart, especially near the bottom. There should be metal covers over the bottom corners of the cabinet. Make sure the control panel looks good. Cause it's gonna be near impossible to find a control panel if it is a dedicated 1 slot cabinet.

Also be aware, that dedicated 1 slot cabinets are wired up for JAMMA, not neo geo multislot. The 1 slot boards are JAMMA boards. And there is a seperate 4 pin molex connector that plugs in the motherboard so you get stereo sound. This can cause a problem if you intend to play other JAMMA boards. Cause you wont be able to get sound unless the board you are playing has a input for the 4 pin molex connector. JAMMA boards usually don't have these connectors. I know the original neo geo MV1 board does though, and so do the taito f-3, and sega STV.

If you intend to sell off your 1 slot board and upgrade to a 2 or 4 slot board keep in mind that you will need a adaptor from www.jammaboards.com that allows you to play neo geo multislot on a JAMMA wired cabinet. The adaptor has the 4 pin connector so you can get stereo sound. Also keep in mind that if you use this adaptor, you will probably have to disconnect the credit LED's cause the adaptor will wire the select button to the "A" button so you can select games. This may cause your cabinet to insert a credit everytime you press the "A" button, or if you have a universe bios, it will cause most games to pause.

On a final note, remember 1 slot boards are not compatable with a few neo geo games. Matrimelee, sengoku 3, and rage of the dragons. And matrimelee is awesome and you will want to own it. If you have any question feel free to pm me and I can probably help. I've had a 1 slot cabinet for a few years now, so I know them pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I found another lead on another that is only $275 with a King of Fighters '97 cart. I'm going to postpone the purchase of the $400 one until I can look at the the cheaper of the two!

I'll definately keep this thread in my mind while looking/testing any cabs. Great info so far!

Tutorials on SuperGuns

My Feedback here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior Jasen View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I found another lead on another that is only $275 with a King of Fighters '97 cart. I'm going to postpone the purchase of the $400 one until I can look at the the cheaper of the two!

I'll definately keep this thread in my mind while looking/testing any cabs. Great info so far!
    $275 is a much better price, and much closer to what people pay in parts of the country that aren't as podunk as WV (where I live). Grats on that. And, if the KoF '97 is a legit cart, then I'd say it's much better than a multiboot.

Just make sure your cab is in good condition, or that its problems are easily repairable. As mentioned, monitor burn sucks and there's not anything (that I know of) that you can do about it besides replace the monitor. Just about anything else should be fix-able.

Off-topic: Greedostick, you were talking about 1-slot cabs being JAMMA-wired, etc. I just ordered my first non-Neo JAMMA board (a 2P TMNT), and as I figured, you've confirmed that it won't get sound. Is it hard to wire a JAMMA harness extension cable into a split mono on that 4-pin molex?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can always make your own with a jamma finger board and a spare harness. As for the 1-slot compatible issue with newer carts, I think that problem really mainly affected the first two models of one slots. Later ones don't have that problem.
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 01-03-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Off-topic: Greedostick, you were talking about 1-slot cabs being JAMMA-wired, etc. I just ordered my first non-Neo JAMMA board (a 2P TMNT), and as I figured, you've confirmed that it won't get sound. Is it hard to wire a JAMMA harness extension cable into a split mono on that 4-pin molex?
    I don't know. I imagine you can just wire the speakers to the appropiate places on the harness. Cause then you will have the option of using stereo or mono. I'm not very smart though when it comes to wiring unless it's pushbuttons. If you find out how to fix it please pm me. We can exchange numbers and talk about it. Cause it's driving me crazy. I've had this trojan board sitting around for over a year now, and i'm dying to play it.