Thread: Left 4 Dead 2 - Resale Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Left 4 Dead 2 - Resale Question

Hey guys, I picked up a sealed copy of Left 4 Dead 2 for PC from a local thrift store. It looks like the seal may have been tampered with, though. I wanted to resell it, and I'm not sure what the implications of that may be. What's the best route to go? Should I open it up and try to verify whether its serial has been used? I don't play current PC titles, so I don't know what the risks here are in trying to resell it. Thanks.
    Last edited by tubeway; 01-02-2010 at 11:16 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Once the serial key is used, it cannot be used again. Ever. It's automatically tied to the user's Steam account, which is required (even if you don't have one, you have to create one when installing the game.) So if you sell it, and it's been used, you're going to have to issue a refund.

I'll give you $5 for it, though. If the key works. ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the information, but I think I'll pass on selling it for five bucks since I paid ten.

I'm just going to try installing it on my own computer. If the serial works, then great, I'll just play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

If the original installer uninstalls it then a new person can use it right? Is this just with games that are associated with steam? so they are eliminating the resale of modern pc games?
    Autobots. Roll out.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    If the original installer uninstalls it then a new person can use it right? Is this just with games that are associated with steam? so they are eliminating the resale of modern pc games?
    Doesn't matter if the original user uninstalls the program or not, once they register they key, that's it. As far as them trying to eliminate the resale of modern PC games, keys have been around for forever. Steam was just a twinkle in Gabe's eye when they introduced CD-Keys. It seems in the last decade they've ramped up the need to register the keys online though.

Steam it seems is more of a blessing than a curse as companies are releasing their back library of titles on there. It's MUCH easier getting the download for Loom off of there than it is to hunt down a copy in the wild and hoping it'll work correctly on my setup. That's not to say you can't find PC games in the wild, it's just they're not as common as their console cousins. There's been a decent amount of great finds in the Dec/Jan finds in the What's It Worth forum lately.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well if the install works, good for you. If not, you can always crack them.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    Doesn't matter if the original user uninstalls the program or not, once they register they key, that's it. As far as them trying to eliminate the resale of modern PC games, keys have been around for forever. Steam was just a twinkle in Gabe's eye when they introduced CD-Keys. It seems in the last decade they've ramped up the need to register the keys online though.

Steam it seems is more of a blessing than a curse as companies are releasing their back library of titles on there. It's MUCH easier getting the download for Loom off of there than it is to hunt down a copy in the wild and hoping it'll work correctly on my setup. That's not to say you can't find PC games in the wild, it's just they're not as common as their console cousins. There's been a decent amount of great finds in the Dec/Jan finds in the What's It Worth forum lately.
    Unfortunately a lot of these companies release buggy ports and never fix them. See the Oddworld set, it took me a FULL WINDOWS REINSTALL to finally be able to play the games. And nobody in the company ever bothered to make a patch.

GOG.com is where all the good classic stuff is. Cheaper than Steam, no DRM, lots of bonuses, and you can download the games as many times as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of these companies release buggy ports and never fix them. See the Oddworld set, it took me a FULL WINDOWS REINSTALL to finally be able to play the games. And nobody in the company ever bothered to make a patch.

GOG.com is where all the good classic stuff is. Cheaper than Steam, no DRM, lots of bonuses, and you can download the games as many times as you want.
    I'll have to check GOG.com out. Thanks for the info.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"