Thread: The SNES Game Genie conundrum

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default The SNES Game Genie conundrum

Hi all,
    Several months back I noticed that my Game Genie did not work properly in my SNES mini. Only codes #1 and #5 (first and last) worked. I did some searching here on DPF and determined that this was an effect of the design of the SNES mini (possibly intentional on Nintendo's part, as we all know how much they hated the GG). Many people have noted this incompatibility between the GG and the SNES mini. Fair enough.

Fast forward several months. I know own a second SNES, this one is a model 1, unmodified and minty fresh (it even still has the warning sticker about powering off the console before popping out a cartridge ). I try out several games (including Actraiser 2, Contra III, and several other non-FX games) and once again only codes #1 and #5 work (I confirmed this by switching the order of the codes around).

I then try the reboot trick (enter 0000-0000, hit Start, then Reset and see if the codes changed). Supposedly this would tell me if my GG has a bad slot. I try this a few times and confirm that codes 2, 3, and 4 are consistently modified after the reset. Yes, the same three codes that do not end up working for everyone are definitely being 'corrupted' on bootup.

Apparently there are different revisions of the model 1 SNES, and different revisions of the GG. My SNES is a model 1 but I don't know much beyond that (if the numbers on the SNES console can identify how 'old' it is, I can post mine here in the thread). My GG adds the dash in the code after I enter the first four characters, which, according to what I've read here, makes it a 'later' revision of GG.

At this point I believe that the reset trick means nothing as far as whether or not the GG (or SNES for that matter) has a bad/damaged/failed port, due to the fact that it's always the same three codes that do not work for people. Too coincidental. I also believe that trying the reset trick above will tell you right off the bat if your GG and SNES will play nice, or if you'll have the first/last problem, like I and many others have had. And obviously, those three codes aren't working because they're getting corrupted once you boot into the game. But is it the GG or the SNES that's to blame? I 'knew' it was the SNES when I had problems on the SNES mini, but since I'm seeing similar problems with the SNES1, I now have my doubts.

Honestly, this isn't a real 'problem' for me, I rarely use the GG. I'm mainly trying to get to the bottom of the mystery. If there's a solid conclusion that's been reached regarding the different revs of SNES and GG, I couldn't find it.

Please post here if your experiences reflect or contradict mine. Maybe we can break this down by console and GG revisions. And maybe, just maybe, this will help other people down the road.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jperryss; 01-07-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

A coherent, verbose and well thought out post relevant to the interest of Forum members.

WHO ARE YOU!?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There has been a lot of discussion on snes hardware variants on the bsnes forum. I suggest trying there.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That model 1 SNES is most likely a 2/1/3 (see the SNES Powerpak thread), same as the mini. You mentioned that it has the silver cart eject sticker, which only began to appear on later produced SNES systems. A GG 1.0 (always has 5 dashes) probably wouldn't work with that SNES, either.

A 1/1/1 launch SNES will work with both versions of the Game Genie OK. Compatibility for a 2/1/2 is unknown, maybe just one version works.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to check on mine, but how do you know what revision SNES you have?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A software check requires a Powerpak or similar device. Without opening the system up, it should be at least possible to determine if it's a launch SNES if it has a non-soldered cart connector (no black plastic tabs on the sides of the cart connector when you look inside the cart slot)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A better and easier option would be to do this:

http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?p=6094#p6094
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks guys. I will also check out the BSNES boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post

That is very cool, thanks! I tried this with my copy of MQ and mine shows 2/1/3 (same as the pic in the link).

So there are three different chipset revs, with two variations of the 2/1/3 chipset, making four different versions in total?
    1/1/1 - likely compatible with both GGs
    2/1/2 - compatibility unknown
    2/1/3 or Mini - limited compatibility, likely first/last code only on both GGs

I'd be curious to see the production numbers on all four variants. Is the 2/1/2 system 'rare' or just a little tricky to come by?
    Last edited by jperryss; 01-08-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post

Great find! I didn't think there was any retail cart that had a debug menu for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    2/1/3 or Mini - limited compatibility, likely first/last code only on both GGs
    Only GG 2.0 allows 1/5 slot codes. No slots work at all using GG 1.0