Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's been 5 years, and no ones talking 'next gen' yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default It's been 5 years, and no ones talking 'next gen' yet.

Usually, after a console generation 5 year mark, we begin hearing talk about the new consoles in development.

It's been pretty quiet, here on the gaming front, lately.

When do you think we'll start hearing talk of a new Xbox, or a PS4? Nintendo is talking about upgrading the Wii for HDTV's, but thats not much of an upgrade, IMO... It's just bringing the Wii up to current gen standards.

What gives?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I think the game companies have kind of hit a wall in terms of pushing new hardware on people. The game platforms available are pretty powerful as they are, so pushing a console that can only do a few extra things (i.e very minimally improved graphics/processing) would not be profitable for the companies because nobody would be inclined to buy it.

For example, the jump from 8-bit to 16 was HUGE in the 90's, and the jump from the N64/PS1/Dreamcast era to the GCN/XBOX/PS2 was a big improvement in processors/video. But the current gen to something newer would be a very small change, so....why fix what isn't broken?

...or something like that lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really have room for a new console. I hope we kinda stop right here.

If they could fix the failure rate on the 360s, PS3 and Xbox 360 can stay around as long as they want, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    I think the game companies have kind of hit a wall in terms of pushing new hardware on people. The game platforms available are pretty powerful as they are, so pushing a console that can only do a few extra things (i.e very minimally improved graphics/processing) would not be profitable for the companies because nobody would be inclined to buy it.

For example, the jump from 8-bit to 16 was HUGE in the 90's, and the jump from the N64/PS1/Dreamcast era to the GCN/XBOX/PS2 was a big improvement in processors/video. But the current gen to something newer would be a very small change, so....why fix what isn't broken?

...or something like that lol.
    I agree. I would not be inclined to purchase anything "new" at this point as what I have now is still perfectly fine. Another 5 years and i'll feel like my investment was worth what I have spent. I also agree that "technological limits" have been pretty much tapped out atm.

I don't think they have plans of necessarily offering new hardware as much as "upgrading" the current genertaion. We still have Natal and PS3 Motion Control around the corner. If anything Nintendo needs to do catchup at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

the only real "next gen" talk i've heard is just the new 360 perephrial...natal or whatever....it looks neat with not using controllers at all, but just seems more gimmecky than anything else.

personally, i dont really want any new system to come out right now...seems to me that the 360/ps3/wii are putting out some really good games and i just want that trend to continue....i'd like to see improvments in the software than the hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, basically Microsoft's Natal project is considered their "next" console launch, though it uses the same hardware as the Xbox 360. I imagine it will be the same with Sony's motion controller, though who knows how that will pan out. I'm sure that Nintendo will push out some sort of updated console that pushes the Wii to be able to go 720p, but I don't think they are in any rush considering that the Wii's sales are still up there.

Basically, it comes down to Nintendo being right about the last generation, that consoles have pretty much maxed out the computing power necessary to make games look better. From now on, it is all about other hardware aspects, which is why they made the Wii motion controller.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

People say they woudn't buy a new system right now, but I bet if they saw something that was much more graphical than the current gen they would buy it in a heartbeat.

I do think there's been quite a slowdown in the jump to new systems. There's many reasons that I an think of. Hasn't Silicon Valley slowed down in their advancement of processors? Also, I think with the abillity to "upgrade" the systems through system updates, they can advance things with improved dashboards and such. Also, there's so much money being made with the online play, downloadable games, etc. that it would be exhausting and costly to move people to a new system.

I wish Sega would jump in and surprise everyone with the Sega Phoenix system, packed with Nights Into Dreams 3, but thats just a fanboy's dream.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Lord, it just seems like we started this generation (waiting a year after launch to buy a DS and a Wii probably didn't help matters). With graphical power pretty much as far as it can go, there really isn't a reason to introduce another generation in the near future.

Maybe in another five years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    We still have Natal and PS3 Motion Control around the corner. If anything Nintendo needs to do catchup at this point.
    Actually, it seems like Sony and Microsoft are the ones trying to catch up with Nintendo.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm right now trying to figure out how to justify purchasing a used PS3, so I haven't even joined in with THIS generation yet.

On the one hand that makes me want the industry to NOT forge ahead, as I'd feel left behind and have fewer options regarding buying media and accessories for my system.

On the other hand, if they'd release new systems I'd probably be able to purchase a PS3 for a lot less.

Pros and Cons everywhere.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii is dead. Didn't you hear? Nintendo will be software only by the end of the year.

Really, we don't need this 'next gen' crap talk... remember the past? PS3 was supposed to kick everything's ass in existence, guaranteed.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I'm not ready for "next gen" yet. I'm quite satisfied with what is available NOW. I'm rocking the Wii/360 combo and looking to pick up a PS3 soon...so yeah. Not ready, not by a long shot.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in no rush either for the next gen. I don't need a new system for another FPS with slightly better lighting or graphics.

I'm wondering if we may not see more nintendoish minor system upgrades over the next few years. Kinda like how Nintendo has done the DS, then the DS lite, DSI, soon to be the DSI xl.

Maybe we'll see a redesigned 360 with some more built in components. or PS3 with upgrades, Nintendo add HD support. Small changes rather than a whole platform launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I read this months ago on either Gamasutra or Edge Online (Can't remember), but it was reported that for Sony's next console, they're going to use the Cell again, and just upgrade it a bit, ala the Gekko CPU.

Makes sense. After all, why spend over five years developing the chip, then only use it in just one mass market device for a few years? Also, there is the technological wall that has been brought up numerous times.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean, have you guys seen Crysis on PC? Consoles could definitely be much more powerful, as some graphics on 360 look pretty dated to me now. I do think that this generation will be longer, though, and I don't think the next one will be out until 2012 or 2013.

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could careless, the only curent gen system I own is the Wii and thats only because its a godsend for retro gamers who want something new. I mostly stick to the older stuff. I say if you want a next gen console just buy a super upgraded computer.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

My person, totally based off the top of my head opinion, is that the publishers have taken a long look at the console life cycle and seen that they can milk what they've got for much longer than 5 years, rather than worry about beating the other guy to market.

Market Share fanboyism aside, all three parties seem to be doing well and making money. Why upset the applecart?

My guess is that Natal is the next Xbox, and Wii HD or whatever is the next Nintendo release. Low cost to them and they leverage what they already have which is successful. Makes sense to me.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do remember hearing that developers were saying they had reached the limit of what they could do with the 360 but I'm not sure how true this is. I'm guessing the next big thing in gaming will be 3D gaming, but that requires everyone to have 3D capable TV's and that's really a good 5 years away at least.

I suppose the next logical step for Microsoft would be to launch an a console with Natal intergrated, with it being a slight upgrade from the 360 a la GC - Wii. I could see this happening in 2011 or 2012.

Nintendo is the most obvious choice for being the first contender to launch the next gen. An upgrade to HD, Motionplus integrated into wiimote, improved online service etc are all obvious next steps for the Wii 2. But there's no need as the Wii is still selling like mad. Give it another year or so, and when everyone has a HD TV, I'm thinking we'll see the Wii's successor in 2011. Probably in time for christmas.

The PS3 is finally picking up speed and cost Sony a lot so they're also in no hurry to release the PS4. Plus they've stated the PS3 will be here for 10 years, so theoretically until 2017. However, if Nintendo and Microsoft release their next consoles, it could seem like Sony are standing still and the PS3 outdated and therefore pressure Sony to release the PS4 (big if though).

I think 2011 will be when we start hearing the first real rumbles about the next generation. Also the next gen of handhelds are likely to launch before their bigger brothers. Nintendo has already started talking about the successor to the DS.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good, there should be no talk of next gen until the current gen can get hardware prices down to 99 dollars

i have zero interest in a 1000 dollar next gen console, and seeing how well the ps3 did at 600 dollarls, the general public doesnt have an interest either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think part of it is that there isn't a lot of room to improve upon in terms of processing power. The only likely update to game format that would normally come with a system upgrade is through internet download, which all three systems are capable of and already do in some capacity (albeit with simpler games). Unless the plan is to go to 3D (a la the new ESPN channel), I don't see anywhere else to go.

The other part is that for the better part of the last year and a half, the economy of one of the largest video game markets was really suffering (and things weren't too much better elsewhere last year). Chances are that the Big 3 looked at the situation and decided to hold off until things improve. I won't be surprised if this year's E3 includes at least one announcement regarding a new Xbox or PS4.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I do not see myself keeping up with a next generation of video gaming. It's hard enough for me to get interested in this generation.

I basically hate first-person shooters, I don't do RPGs, and most everything else is basically a copy of something I've got on some other system. My 360 collection is basically at sports and racing games, Guitar Hero, and Lego stuff, and a few other games here and there I sort of like.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting