Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Nintendo Console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Snes <(debatable)> Genesis (the Genesis has a faster processor speed, higher resolution and ability to handle parallax scrolling. The SNES had more available colours, more on screen colours and built in special effects. The SNES sound chip has more range and an overall higher quality, but it's so different than the Genesis chip that the produce completely different sounds. It's more a matter of preference on the sound)
    SNES resolution:
    Progressive: 256x224, 512x224, 256x239, 512x239
    Interlaced: 512x448, 512x478

Genesis resolution:
    56×224, 256×448, 320×224, 320×448, (PAL and NTSC)

256×240, 320×240, 256×480, 320×480 (PAL only), 256×192 (SMS games only)

I also don't see it as debatable. To me at least, the top of the line SNES games looked a lot better than the top of the line Genesis games. Also, when you can compare two versions, I prefer the SNES' games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    You claim that you're comparing Nintendo consoles to others in its generation technically, yet you seem to have no clue of the systems specs. It should look like this:

Famicom < Master System

Snes <(debatable)> Genesis (the Genesis has a faster processor speed, higher resolution and ability to handle parallax scrolling. The SNES had more available colours, more on screen colours and built in special effects. The SNES sound chip has more range and an overall higher quality, but it's so different than the Genesis chip that the produce completely different sounds. It's more a matter of preference on the sound)

N64 > PS (CDs being superior to cartridges is very debatable. The N64 easily beat the PS1 technically)

Gamecube < Xbox (seems you really had no clue here. The X-Box had the GCN beat technically)
    I know all the specs of all the systems but who gives a shit about which system had better specs. I consider the 360 = ps3 even though the ps3 has "better specs". You know why? Because neither system can outperform each other. There aren't any games that came out on Xbox that couldn't also be done on gamecube.

As far as the N64 being clearly better I think a lot of people would argue about the ugly textures and fog and lack of draw distance that went into alot of games just to get a decent framerate.

The Snes was better period. Don't pretend having 64 onscreen colors at once is no big deal. When I compare systems I'm talking about what most people care about and its not specs, it's which system's games look way better than its competitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering that Nintendo's primary goals for the Wii were to use as little power as possible (so that overheating was not an issue), and to keep its size smaller than three DVD cases, I can't really see how adding a hard drive is going to be possible now or ever. Really, the requirement of a hard drive is only for a few specialized type of game. Considering flash memory cost is coming down all the time, I doubt a hard drive will ever come to a Nintendo console.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    SNES resolution:
    Progressive: 256x224, 512x224, 256x239, 512x239
    Interlaced: 512x448, 512x478

Genesis resolution:
    56×224, 256×448, 320×224, 320×448, (PAL and NTSC)

256×240, 320×240, 256×480, 320×480 (PAL only), 256×192 (SMS games only)
    Show me an SNES game that actually used one of those higher resolutions. 99% of SNES games are 256x224. This was an open question on an SNES board that I used to post on, years and years ago. From what we could gather, the higher resolutions were all restricted to (non-default uses of) Modes 5 and 6, which were rarely used at all, because they had other limitations. On Genesis, the majority of games use the horizontal resolution of 320, although 256x224 is used by a significant minority.

I also don't see it as debatable. To me at least, the top of the line SNES games looked a lot better than the top of the line Genesis games. Also, when you can compare two versions, I prefer the SNES' games.
    I think it's "debatable" by virtue of the fact that it consistently gets debated. Also the "top of the line" SNES games mostly had extra hardware in the cartridge, and say little about the SNES hardware in comparison to other systems. I would further argue that I think the "top of the line" Neo Geo games look a lot better than the top of the line 3DO games, but that doesn't mean 3DO is a weaker system. And I think when you compare two versions, the Genesis version comes out as superior very often (but certainly not always), although I think that's a discussion for another thread.

The fact remains that SNES had its advantages and disadvantages. It isn't a case of one being completely superior to the other, like Xbox versus PS2. Going back to my earlier comment, the SNES was designed to do what Nintendo wanted it to do -- all-around system specs was not their priority. Mario's gameplay already worked great on the NES, so a fast processor or improved resolution would not have added much, but a large color palette would help set it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    I know all the specs of all the systems but who gives a shit about which system had better specs. I consider the 360 = ps3 even though the ps3 has "better specs". You know why? Because neither system can outperform each other. There aren't any games that came out on Xbox that couldn't also be done on gamecube.
    What about Far Cry Instincts? It had been in development for Gamecube, but that version was cancelled, due to technical problems. Do you think Gamecube could've handled Doom 3 as well as Xbox did?

As far as the N64 being clearly better I think a lot of people would argue about the ugly textures and fog and lack of draw distance that went into alot of games just to get a decent framerate.
    Good point, but those were kind of due to other issues. The N64 was still more powerful overall, even if it did have its drawbacks.

The Snes was better period. Don't pretend having 64 onscreen colors at once is no big deal. When I compare systems I'm talking about what most people care about and its not specs, it's which system's games look way better than its competitors.
    The OP used the phrase "inferior technically" which to me suggests that specs are what's relevant, not populist arguments.
    Last edited by j_factor; 01-12-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Show me an SNES game that actually used one of those higher resolutions. 99% of SNES games are 256x224. This was an open question on an SNES board that I used to post on, years and years ago. From what we could gather, the higher resolutions were all restricted to (non-default uses of) Modes 5 and 6, which were rarely used at all, because they had other limitations. On Genesis, the majority of games use the horizontal resolution of 320, although 256x224 is used by a significant minority.
    You're right, but technically so was I. The higher resolution option was there, whether it was used or not. The higher resolutions did have limits though. One is less colors on-screen, which is a big limitation IMO.

[quoteI think it's "debatable" by virtue of the fact that it consistently gets debated. Also the "top of the line" SNES games mostly had extra hardware in the cartridge, and say little about the SNES hardware in comparison to other systems. I would further argue that I think the "top of the line" Neo Geo games look a lot better than the top of the line 3DO games, but that doesn't mean 3DO is a weaker system. And I think when you compare two versions, the Genesis version comes out as superior very often (but certainly not always), although I think that's a discussion for another thread.
    [/QUOTE]

I guess we will have agree to disagree. In my eyes only, I see that the vast majority of SNES games look a lot better than the vast majority of Genesis games.

As for the Neo-Geo vs. 3DO, that's a good debate. 2-D games look better on the NG, while 3-D look better on the 3DO.

I agree a separate thread for comparing two versions would be an excellent idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Considering that Nintendo's primary goals for the Wii were to use as little power as possible (so that overheating was not an issue), and to keep its size smaller than three DVD cases, I can't really see how adding a hard drive is going to be possible now or ever. Really, the requirement of a hard drive is only for a few specialized type of game. Considering flash memory cost is coming down all the time, I doubt a hard drive will ever come to a Nintendo console.
    The iPod Classic has a hard drive, so I'm sure Nintendo can fit one in the Wii even with its current form factor.

Insert Coin (Level 0) N 2 Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure what Nintendo will do. But, it makes sense to me that they would want to present their future console, or upgrades as a old new. A good example is, Verbatim brand CDs. They look like little vinyl records. Much to Nintendo's success with applying this theory, and other well known companies like Capcom. Obvious examples are Megaman 9, and upcoming Megaman 10. Then we have the New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and the New Super Mario Bros NDS. They all pay huge homage to their predecessors, in their own ways. They are the old, in the new. Which I personal enjoy, and have felt others same response.

How would they do this? Well, that's up to them. I mean, maybe they should have the next console packaged with Super Mario Bros 4. I know I'd love to finally see this title made, a new classic 8-Bit Mario platformer? I think many would be sold on just being able to play that as soon as they possibly could, alone (Not including what the consoles new features may be). I know I'd be waiting in line in blistering cold weather (just like I did for a Wii) to get my hands on something like that. But they could add more, to make it more valued, like wii sports 2, etc. Someone I know of, said it best "It has never been better to be a retro gamer." (Derek Alexander)
    Last edited by N 2 Nintendo; 01-13-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Actual quote, not quote as I first remembered.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I don't see why more consoles don't support external hard drives. If they forced you to format it via the console itself, you could lock it in to that serial number. That would put the cost of buying an external/usb hard drive on the gamer, a cost most of us would be more than happy to absorb to have some decent storage. You can get an external tb drive for $100 these days. I'd love to have that kind of storage on any of my consoles.
    I assume it's the piracy issue. Companies are learning that if they offer a method for folk to get foreign data on their consoles, they'll abuse it. The PSP, DS, and Wii are all hacked through their SD card slots by way of example. The 360 on the other hand, while ALSO firmly hacked, is much more troublesome to crack. A mod chip must be installed, which requires a much firmer commitment to actually go through with than following a YouTube tutorial and donwloading shady firmware from MegaUpload.

The PS3 has avoided the issue so far purely through the absence of re-writable Bluray discs and the relative rarity of BR drives. That's probably the reason they allow over the counter hard drives as upgrades to their system.

Just a guess, but I think it's a good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I assume it's the piracy issue. Companies are learning that if they offer a method for folk to get foreign data on their consoles, they'll abuse it. The PSP, DS, and Wii are all hacked through their SD card slots by way of example. The 360 on the other hand, while ALSO firmly hacked, is much more troublesome to crack. A mod chip must be installed, which requires a much firmer commitment to actually go through with than following a YouTube tutorial and donwloading shady firmware from MegaUpload.

The PS3 has avoided the issue so far purely through the absence of re-writable Bluray discs and the relative rarity of BR drives. That's probably the reason they allow over the counter hard drives as upgrades to their system.

You just mentioned the PSP. I've never seen any re-writable UMD discs or any UMD drives. People just run their pirated games right off the stick. How come nobody's come up with a way to similarly run PS3 games off a hard drive? There must be something else to it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    Will the next Nintendo Console be as inferior technically to its competitors as the Wii is compared to the other consoles of this generation? I mean, if you look at Nintendo historically they have kind of been up and down.

Famicom < Master System

Snes > Genesis

N64 < PS (They each had their strengths but no CDs give Sony the edge)

Gamecube = Xbox

Wii < 360,PS3

So historically Nintendo hasn't always been the underpowered machine that could. I wonder if they lost a lot of money on each gamecube system they sold as it clearly could do everything the xbox could do minus online abilities.
    I doubt Nintendo lost money on Gamecube consoles. They were still of the mindset (and still are) that you should actually make a profit on hardware. Xbox on the other hand...

Oh, and i read somewhere that there is no real push by anyone for a next gen console at the moment. And that the next thing for Nintendo will be a hi definition Wii...

Insert Coin (Level 0) johndarkness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post

No, it's bad one. Doesn't matter if you have any kind of card slot or not. The main reason why PS3 doesn't have backup yet is the way they secure the whole system. On the other system the security is poor so that's the way you can have modchips or customs firmware.
    Another plus for PS3 is the extreme internal speed of the system and higher bit security keys they're using.
    And one more thing to consider is that the % of people who have modded systems compare to normal user is so small that the companies don't care too much. Of course Europe is on the first place with piracy as there are more smarter people with way better and cheaper internet connection then the rest of the world.
    Last edited by johndarkness; 01-13-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We can speculate the next Nintendo console all we want. It doesn't matter what we guess - they're still going to pull something completely unexpected and run away with it. We can say the most far-fetched things ever and it still won't be as zany as the real deal.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    You just mentioned the PSP. I've never seen any re-writable UMD discs or any UMD drives. People just run their pirated games right off the stick. How come nobody's come up with a way to similarly run PS3 games off a hard drive? There must be something else to it.
    You're right. I'm sure the crazy CPU architecture probably has something to do with the lack of PS3 piracy so far as well, though getting the data off a Blu-ray is still problematic. As for PSP games, you need to install custom firmware on the machine to run games off the stick, which is pretty easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by johndarkness View Post
    And one more thing to consider is that the % of people who have modded systems compare to normal user is so small that the companies don't care too much. Of course Europe is on the first place with piracy as there are more smarter people with way better and cheaper internet connection then the rest of the world.
    I strongly doubt that companies 'don't care' about piracy on the consoles: why do you think that Microsoft has a completely closed and proprietary system for memory cards and hard drives? They're also notorious for banning modded consoles whenever they get the chance.

As for the percentage issue, Call of Duty MW 2 for 360 was downloaded nearly one million times last year according to Torrent Freak, and it was only out for what, two months? I'm sure the number is even higher now.

Consider how poorly PSP software does at retail when compared to the hardware install base. A great deal of that inequity can probably be attributed to piracy(or at least, that's the popular opinion). A lot of that is due to the relative simplicity of the system architecture -you're right about the PS3's complexity- but the reason you're able to rip and disseminate PSP games so freely comes down to the ability to get foreign data on to a memory stick and get it into your PSP. The same goes for the DS and Wii. You're able to force access into the machine by using third party storage devices.

The fact of the matter is that if you close your system as much as possible, you make it that much harder to get all illegal on it. That won't stop pirates obviously, but making it even a little bit harder on them is probably justification enough for the big three.