Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I only consider the official NES top loader?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Why doesn't that toploader have av outputs like the toaster model? I was thinking about getting a toploader eventually, but forgot about this.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To give people a reason to learn how to solder.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    To give people a reason to learn how to solder.
    I thought it was to give people a reason to go on message boards to ask people if they could recommend a specific person or website to have their NES2s modded.

...anyone?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheChristoph View Post
    I thought it was to give people a reason to go on message boards to ask people if they could recommend a specific person or website to have their NES2s modded.

...anyone?
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135258

This guy did a professional AV and LED mod on my NES2, completely eliminating the white vertical lines in the process.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    While it's a cool bit of history, it's probably not a practical alternative to the OP. Of course time and money are no object to some on here, and if that's the case well... go for it. I would assume that these are nearly impossible to find.
    I'll still keep an eye out for one, or any top loader. All I have is a regular NES system, that seems to suit my needs for the moment as I don't have games from other regions. I've been lucky in the past with some finds so I hope I'll be lucky again. I won't bother with a clone system, at least not to use as my main unit.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyhoboguy View Post
    Why doesn't that toploader have av outputs like the toaster model? I was thinking about getting a toploader eventually, but forgot about this.
    They did away with the outputs to cut costs, the redesign was meant to be a cheaper version that came out near the end of the system's life. Back then most people hooked up their systems with standard RF, the 13" TV that's still being used in my living room was bought new in 1997 and doesn't even have AV inputs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    They did away with the outputs to cut costs, the redesign was meant to be a cheaper version that came out near the end of the system's life.
    Incidentally enough, the Famicom version of the NES2 was only composite out. (compared to the original Famicom which was RF only).

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/fc/avfami.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    the 13" TV that's still being used in my living room was bought new in 1997 and doesn't even have AV inputs.
    Most of the TVs I see at the thrift are much bigger than 13" but aren't guaranteed to have RF. I'd say a significant number of them are RF-only (possibly more than the number I've seen that have S-Video or better, although to be fair better models probably get taken quick - though it seems that few TVs stick around long).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recommend the front loader console. Don't buy a new pin connector, just get in there with a safety pin and tighten the pins up a bit. Works better than new. The top loader just has ugly video output. I don't mind using RF too bad, but the vertical lines running down the screen just make it eh to me.

If you really want a top loader, I'm looking to get rid of mine after fixing up my old front loader. PM me if you're interested.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:33 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd spend the extra money and go with an A/V Famicom. Not only do you get A/V straight out of the box without having to mod, but you avoid the whole frustrating "vertical lines" issue of the top-loading NES. You also get all the advantages of a Famicom, such as easy FDS compatibility, the ability to use games that have sound chips in them, and the 15-pin expansion port (useful for 3rd party controllers). And since it has NES-style controller ports, you can use any controller you want on it (except for 9-pin pirate ones). And to top it all off, A/V Famicoms were manufactured until 2003, so it's not too hard to get a brand new one. The one I use was manufactured in '03 according to the copyright dates in the manual. It's in damned fine condition and will be for quite a while .
    The only drawback is that to use NES games, you need a converter. It's not as bad as it sounds though, and I'm using one of the cheap uncased bare ones!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
    I didn't see it mentioned but doesn't the toploader have these faint vertical bars on the screen? Is that just due to the RF? Those drive me up the wall.
    Yep and I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think the cause is interference on the video circuit caused by the power circuit, since they are both very close to each other on the board.

Some people don't mind them, and others (me) hate them. They can be eliminated with a composite A/V mod if the video circuit is rebuilt in a specific way (sorry, don't know much about it, I had it done 'professionally', PM me if you want more info) but an A/V mod doesn't automatically eliminate the white lines.
    Last edited by jperryss; 01-17-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did a quick mod on mine to get RCA out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Get the NES2 the Nintendo one..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the input.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Yep and I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think the cause is interference on the video circuit caused by the power circuit, since they are both very close to each other on the board.

Some people don't mind them, and others (me) hate them. They can be eliminated with a composite A/V mod if the video circuit is rebuilt in a specific way (sorry, don't know much about it, I had it done 'professionally', PM me if you want more info) but an A/V mod doesn't automatically eliminate the white lines.
    So this guy eliminated the bars completely?? It is only worth it if it was reasonably priced.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mason P. View Post
    So this guy eliminated the bars completely?? It is only worth it if it was reasonably priced.

Mine was actually the first one he did. And yep, the vertical lines are completely gone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine was actually the first one he did. And yep, the vertical lines are completely gone.
    Does the thread linked here still exist? Or is there a post count limit I must reach before I have access? I'm curious about this mod as I picked up a top loader. Even though I do have a now self-restored toaster. I'd be curious to look into this mod however, but I don't have experience doing any soldering myself.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xmetalmetx View Post
    Does the thread linked here still exist? Or is there a post count limit I must reach before I have access? I'm curious about this mod as I picked up a top loader. Even though I do have a now self-restored toaster. I'd be curious to look into this mod however, but I don't have experience doing any soldering myself.
    Yep, there's a time limit before you can view the classifieds (I think it's 7 days, can't remember, it's in the FAQs). Anyway, that thread is not about how to do the mod, it's about a member here that will perform the mod. Here's his site:

http://gametz.com/?user=platinumfungi

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, there's a time limit before you can view the classifieds (I think it's 7 days, can't remember, it's in the FAQs). Anyway, that thread is not about how to do the mod, it's about a member here that will perform the mod. Here's his site:

http://gametz.com/?user=platinumfungi
    Ah thanks! Precisely what I wanted to know because I wouldn't trust myself to attempt such a thing.

I'll save that link, perhaps after I recover from all the money I've spent building a modest library of the classics plus aquiring a few different systems, I'll look into having that AV mod done.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I for one am fairly committed at this point to getting the Retron 3 clone console when it comes out (mid-to-late-June). I was under the impression that these clones are "emulators in a box", but this post set me straight on that. Here's hoping the video output and the sound circuits on both the NES and Genesis sides are all right on this one (I'm optimistic though, given the respectable reviews of this console's immediate predecessors such as the FC Mobile 2).

Also, Battletoads still freezes on level 2 and later revisions of Super Mario RPG have a lockout "feature" that will prevent it from working. Otherwise, compatibility (even with Castlevania 3) is supposed to be basically perfect.