Thread: Power up suits in NSMBwii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Default Power up suits in NSMBwii

I recently picked up a copy of New Super Mario Bros Wii. I love it to pieces. The new motion controls are awesome. The four player co-op mode is a blast to play with friends. Love the level design, environments and its references to past games in the mario franchise.

Also, I love the new power-ups (the ice flower and penguin suit). They are really cool additions to the game, but, I can't help but be a little disappointed that most of the classic mario suits were left out (from SMB3). I think the addition of the Tanooki Suit, the Frog Suit, Hammer Bro. Suit and maybe even the P-wing (except this is kind of like a primitive super guide) and Kuribo's shoe would have take the game from Excellent to perfection for me.

Any thoughts?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It doesn't bother me since, with the exception of the Mario 1 power ups, none of them ever carried over from game to game. There's a thematic pattern (a flying item, etc.) but the actual item itself is always different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Very true, I didn't think about it like that. NSMBwii just draws to much from SMB 3/SMW that it would have been cool for them to throw the extra suits in, i mean, it can't be THAT hard, especially in the current gen of advanced games

Insert Coin (Level 0) N 2 Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My thoughts are they just didn't have the room. I mean even the Kuribo's shoe only appears in one leve in SMB3. But, also I don't feel like they were nessecary either. The game had a lot of homage paid to many previous Mario titles, especially SMB3. It really didn't need to have any old power-ups make reapperances. Infact, the only power-ups to make any reapperances in any Mario titles is the basic mushroom, fire flower, and power star.(With the exception of the GBA ports, and SMB All-Stars, as I see these are remakes. Respectively they are the same game, just in different format, but it kinda classifies them as a "new" game, even though it is just ported, thus why I put this footnote) So it seems unlikely that they would have, or still would consider doing so.

Although, I feel like they definately should take advantage of this idea. I mean, in the GBA port of SMB3, one of the coolest features (which was also one of the most flawed and frustrating, but once completed well worth the effort) was the extra e-reader unlockables. I have like 7, or 8 new levels that can only be played via scanning the level cards. But more to my point, it allowed you to scan a power-up of your Flying Feather/Cape in Super Mario World. Being able to mix a power-up from a different title is really interesting, or having it reappear in a "new" title (if you prefer) is something I thought was pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Totally agree with your points. It's probably just the nostalgia in me for the classics that wants the suits back, I just think having the rare suits in the game spice things up and make it even more fun to play. Having importable power-ups (like downloads from the shop channel or something) added later on would be awesome! (although not very probable...but still cool!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

I've been thinking the same thing as I've been playing through it. However, I've come to the conclusion that I'm very pleased with the numerous ways they paid homage to the previous games. However, I would LOVE to see the next 2D Mario game have all of the best aspects from each Mario game, that would be incredible!

Insert Coin (Level 0) N 2 Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I concur with both of you. And toast to the idea of a complete retro Mario game, that you spoke of!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was really keeping an eye out for the shoe. Wishing. Hoping.

The new power-ups are good enough I don't miss the old ones. I never really cared for the frog that much anyways, and the penguin is much better imo. Like it was said before, there is something special about each Mario game with a unique power-up.

You want Tanooki? Play SMB3.

I still want more Kuribo's shoe though...