Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBAY: Printing Shipping Labels Through Paypal - Is it Cheaper?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EBAY: Printing Shipping Labels Through Paypal - Is it Cheaper?

Getting mighty tired of having to drop by the post office and deal with the long lines so I'm thinking about printing all my shipping labels through paypal but i''ve never done it before. Is it cheaper to go through paypal? Is there any real benefit to doing this apose to just printing out the addresses and taking them to the post office to be rung up?" And if I do start doing this, what shipping scale do you guys recommend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Actual package shipping is the same (at least from what I've seen so far). Services like Delivery Confirmation is MUCH cheaper (19 cents is it?).

Plus, creating a label is so much hassle free. I now just print a label, go to the post office, and say "ITS PAID! THANKS!" drop the package and leave.

No more lines!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm mostly shipping out xbox and ps2 games in bubble mailers first class. After I print the label and the package is all ready to go, can I just drop it off at ANY blue mailbox on the corner of a street or do I have to still physically take it to the post office?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    I'm mostly shipping out xbox and ps2 games in bubble mailers first class. After I print the label and the package is all ready to go, can I just drop it off at ANY blue mailbox on the corner of a street or do I have to still physically take it to the post office?
    I'm not too sure. I PRESUME you could, but to be perfectly honest, I just take it directly to the Post Office, just in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

I've heard you can actually have the postman pick up your ebay packages when he drops by evary day. Any truth to this? if it's true that alone might make it worth doing since I wouldn't even have to leave the house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Actual package shipping is the same (at least from what I've seen so far). Services like Delivery Confirmation is MUCH cheaper (19 cents is it?).
    Hey Kirby, do you know of a way to get this discounted rate through Paypal if the item was sold through a different service? For example, if I sold a game on Amazon. Obviously that transaction is not connected to Paypal in any way, but paying an extra 61 cents for each package at the post office is annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I've never sold anything on Amazon, but when an item is sold on Amazon, you have access to the buyers address, correct?

If you do, you can print a shipping label on Paypal! Just use this link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Thanks to FABombjoy for the awesome link

The link above is independent to any transaction. Just fill in the blanks with the appropriate information, and you will be set!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks Kirby!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only real downside is with tracking. Delivery confirmation tends to not get scanned until it's delivered if you print it through Paypal (or at home at all). Whereas when I take the package up to the person at the post office, they have to scan it in order to charge me for it. And oddly enough I've found that those packages usually get scanned along the way too, but the drop off ones like Paypal don't.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I notice that too.

Many times, it stays stuck on the "The shipper has been electronically informed" message until the item has actually been delivered, which then the message changes.

This is not always the case, though, as there are times in which the item is scanned during transit. Makes me believe it depends on the Post Office.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Just to add some things.

Yes, on Delivery Confirmation it is $.19 instead of $.75. Totally worth it just for that. First-Class the package costs are the same, but for Priority, there is a discount for online. It is only like 10 cents less on a small flat rate box, but for something like overseas EMS, it can be 5 or 10 bucks.

I frequently drop my first class packages in blue boxes and have never had an issue. I occasionally will put one in my mailbox and haven't had an issue either, it is 1st class mail after all. I don't think you can request pickup on 1st class, that is for Priority and up. I don't like leaving it for my mail carrier just because if I did that all the time it would really be a lot extra for them to carry (in the city here they park and walk each block, and I'm at the start of his normal walking route) and I'm a block from a post office anyway.

That link Kirby provided (thanks FAbomb!!!) is great. I didn't know about that for a long time and was having to jump through hoops for some shipping options.

The biggest problem with Paypal shipping is no option for a Small Flat Rate Box. One time I did it as a Flat Rate Envelope since is the same cost as the box, and that worked without issue, but I don't know if it was a fluke or not. You can do Priority labels through the USPS website for the same price, so that's what I do on those. A bit more of a pain because the address and all isn't pre-filled.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 01-13-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    The biggest problem with Paypal shipping is no option for a Small Flat Rate Box. One time I did it as a Flat Rate Envelope, and that worked without issue, but I don't know if it was a fluke or not.
    Ah yes, I really hope that in the future they add this option. Although I rarely use it, it's really convenient to have it when needed.

Something I always wondered...what happens if you say that the label will be active "tomorrow" but ship it "today"? Can it get returned back if the Post Office gets it before the date shown? Or will they hold it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Something I always wondered...what happens if you say that the label will be active "tomorrow" but ship it "today"? Can it get returned back if the Post Office gets it before the date shown? Or will they hold it?
    I doubt they even look at that, frankly. I've sometimes dated it 'today' and not gotten around to sending it till 'tomorrow', and it has never been a problem. I don't see why the opposite would matter. Now, if it were dated wrong by a couple weeks, that might raise a flag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just came back from the post office and they said you can't drop off international packages in any box so I still have to drop those off at the post office if I do this.

What about standard first class packages within the united states though? Can I just drop those off in any blue mailbox on the corner of a street near me?

Also, still need a scale if i'm going to do this. Where should I order one from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Just came back from the post office and they said you can't drop off international packages in any box so I still have to drop those off at the post office if I do this.

What about standard first class packages within the united states though? Can I just drop those off in any blue mailbox on the corner of a street near me?

Also, still need a scale if i'm going to do this. Where should I order one from?
    Yeah, I only drop US 1st class in the boxes. You can't do Int'l 1st class online at all, and int'l priority still has to be handed to a clerk, so no avoiding the lines on either of these.

I got a Royal ex2 scale from an eBay seller called oldwillknot (I think). It has worked well for me, but I think it was discontinued, and it doesn't have a user changeable battery. I still expect it to last many more years before the battery dies, though. I found it recommended just by doing some google searches. I only remember the seller because he has this hillbilly schtick, which I guess works since I remember him. He still sells scales, I believe, and did have a great price.

Any scale that measures from about .1 oz to about 5lbs should do you just fine. I might invest in one with a detacheable readout or something, since mine is hard to read with a large package hanging over the display.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

My scale is the Ultraship 75 purchased at Amazon.

It's great! Simply, yet extremely effective.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraship-Elec...3430792&sr=8-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I drop my packages off at different blue mail boxes through my town all the time. The only time I don't is when it's over 13 ounces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you get any sort of coverage through paypal if you do this? For example if I print a label with delivery confirmation and the item never arrives, would I get any sort of refund from paypal since there's a paper trail proving it went out?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you get any sort of coverage through paypal if you do this? For example if I print a label with delivery confirmation and the item never arrives, would I get any sort of refund from paypal since there's a paper trail proving it went out?
    I think it might be enough for Paypal to side with you on it, but if it's worth any amount of money that you'd not want to lose, I'd suggest buying insurance.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    I think it might be enough for Paypal to side with you on it....
    No. Don't give false advice. All Paypal cares about is that tracking shows it was *delivered* to the proper zip code. It does not matter if it was scanned at your home office if it "got lost" along the way and was not scanned as delivered. If tracking proves it was delivered and the buyer says it wasn't, the seller will always win that dispute. If not, the seller will lose.