Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of the decade?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duke Nukem Forever

Hey, it was making news through the entire decade right?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

There's no such thing as a GotD. How do you decide among all the games without being completly biased by personal opinion? Everyone has their own GotD then. Hell, even a game like Bullet Witch can measure up by those merrits.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    o rly? I've only heard good things.

I quite like Destructoid's list.
    http://www.destructoid.com/the-top-5...--155591.phtml
    No. Snapple is right, Dissidia really is a terrible game.

Playing the game one player it's easy, infact the game is a joke, but it's somewhat fun for awhile. Awhile being through each character's story while skipping all of the cutscenes. I'm glad when I played the Japanese version I skipped the storyline as I didn't know what they were saying, because when I got the US version and played through as one character and watched the cutscenes with that character, I honestly believed it was one of the worst storylines I have ever seen on a video game. Period. It's like Square-Enix found the worst fan fiction possible and based their game around that. The storyline is that bad.

Anyways. The real game is when playing multiplayer with friends. Now this would be good if it wasn't extremely flawed. First off, the game is highly imbalanced. It's got a set of some of the most imbalanced characters in the history of a fighting game, not including cheap bosses from specific games, I'm talking about characters altogether.

I've played the game well over 100 hours with friends and the thing that truly needs to be fixed is the blocking mechanic. I've got one friend who is fairly good because he does nothing more than throw block up every once in awhile. Unless you immediately do an HP attack during the start of the block he'll be able to dodge out of the way. If you happen to do a brave attack while he throws the "completely random" block up, he's going to get your weak point and counter for massive damage. I've won against him more than he does me, but because he throws random blocks up ALL THE TIME, I have to dash towards him and keep back dashing away so he doesn't know when I'll attack and fake him into blocking so I can do a brave combo the second his block is gone.

Also, since HP attacks are so slow, you can just wait for either a Brave attack to be used and immediately block, or an HP attack, dodge them hopefully you can attack before the character regains himself. Extremely flawed where if you are defensive you are guaranteed a win. Because anyone that knows the game well will play nothing but defense, I play counter defense by dashing in and back in order to get them to defend and then attack the moment it is gone. There's not really any other way to play which is retarded.

The last thing is that once you get hit once you're pretty much dead. If you play with EX Cores, whoever gets the Ex Core first just won. Full ex allows you to guard in the middle of anything(once,) breaking the enemy and using your special righter after(dead in one hit.) If you happen to block any of their attacks without Ex Core, you'll do all criticals and break them, most likely killing them in one hit.

The best thing about the game is the fanservice. You have an FF reminiscence menu, a tutorial that's old school FF based, 48 music tracks from older games(I think,) FF characters and boss, and weapons in armor from various FF games. That's it.

Overall you might enjoy it a bit. Even though I dislike the game it's addicting to play it with friends so that's really the only enjoyment I get out of it.

*edit*

This post is just the beginning of the flaws. I could write a book on how bad this game is.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-15-2010 at 03:14 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Ima go with..... the Gameboy.
    From 2000 to now that thing has gone crazy!
    In yo face!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    There's no such thing as a GotD. How do you decide among all the games without being completly biased by personal opinion? Everyone has their own GotD then. Hell, even a game like Bullet Witch can measure up by those merrits.
    Having a bias doesn't mean you can't have a game of the decade. What's wrong with everybody having their own, and their not being a 'universal' choice?

What I hate most about GOTD type stuff is that I feel I need time to digest the games of 08 and especially 09 before deciding where they fit into my gaming lexicon.

I have no qualms about putting WarioWare on a list for GOTD, as it was released 7 years ago and I still play it today. I loved playing Fallout 3 (released in 08 but I didn't play it until 09), but I can't guess as to what I'll think about it 7 years from now at this point.

I'd rather revisit the question in 2011, but I recognize a GOTD conversation in a year from now isn't quite as appealing to most
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    How does GOTY not have the exact same "problems"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont think there can be a true game of the decade, that is taking into account parts of three generations of hardware, and two generations of control schemes.

think about the game of the 80s... do you go with a game from the NES era, or a game from the 2600 era?

or in the 90s do you go with a genesis/snes title or a playstation/n64 title?

by picking one, it is a disservice to the other

in pop culture for whatever reason, decades seem to be well defined. the 70s and 80s have a distinct feel, the very early 90s felt like the tag end of the 80s, but grunge and generation x coming of age in 91 gave the decade a unique feel.*

but video games dont follow this line, decades are artificial time markers

all that said, the gravity of the title of game of the decade would have to have historical importance as well as good gameplay and sales. so i would have to give the title to either halo or wii sports. the two hardware pushing killer apps of the decade.

*the late 90s and the 00s broke the trend though i would argue there is no longer a mainstream pop culture, everything now is niched

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    How does GOTY not have the exact same "problems"?
    Because it's 1/10th the time frame and console generations are traditionally ~5 years so you have two to four generations to choose from in a GOTD consideration. Latest generations are going to have the edge, since they are building on what came before.

Q: What platforms had releases between 2000 and 2009?
    A: A shit-ton.

A game of the decade per platform would be better... Then again, why not just throw out the time frame and just say "Best Game of the Platform"?

See? Totally hard to justify, but fun to talk about for a while.

The most reasonable method I can think of is take all 10 the GOTYs and have a Ladder Cage Match. But even then... Is pitting GOTY 2000 against GOTY 2009 really fair and objective? Probably not. And who determines the 'actual' game of a year? It's just a showcase preference.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-15-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Way to determine this is simple. Worldwide total sales. Nintendogs doesn't count because Nintendo counts total sales of all different versions. Has to be a single game.

No Pack-ins.
    No PC Versions.
    You may combine multi-platform.

Wii Fit - Wii - 22 Million+
    New Super Mario Bros. - DS - 21 Million+
    Mario Kart - Wii - 20 Million+

(By the way, Wii Play has 26+ Million copies, but I don't count that.)

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii Fit is the GOTD... yay...

The anti-climax is palpable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Dissidia really is a terrible game.

I've played the game well over 100 hours with friends

I could write a book on how bad this game is.
    I love posts like this.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    The Way to determine this is simple. Worldwide total sales. Nintendogs doesn't count because Nintendo counts total sales of all different versions. Has to be a single game.

No Pack-ins.
    No PC Versions.
    You may combine multi-platform.

Wii Fit - Wii - 22 Million+
    New Super Mario Bros. - DS - 21 Million+
    Mario Kart - Wii - 20 Million+

(By the way, Wii Play has 26+ Million copies, but I don't count that.)

-GAC-

why no pack-ins? wii sports drove wii sales. without that game, the wii would be in worse shape than the gamecube

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    why no pack-ins? wii sports drove wii sales. without that game, the wii would be in worse shape than the gamecube
    Because I said so? Are you looking for a logical explanation, because unfortunately I don't have one.

Wii Fit is GOTD. God help us all.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man GAC, who pissed in your Fruit Loops? Between Wii Fit and your new avatar, I'm ready to open a vein over here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I did some research, ie. best games year by year, and you do run into say a game form 2000 or 2001 that is no way as good as say a game for 2008 or 2009. So I'd go with the best game from 2008 or 9. Just becuase in ten years technology advances so much and games get better, hopefully and with new systems comming out you do end up with better games. Usually. So even best game ever is really going to consist of something that came out in the last 3 or 4 years. Right? Unless you get the people that say SMB3 is the best game ever. Then I'd say, OK you play SMB3 and I'll play Fallout 3 and we will see who gets sick of there game first. I understand Mario started EVERYTHING. But come on. Pitfalls a great game but you can't compare it to GTA4.....or can you?

I'd just go with the game of the year last year or the year before.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I love posts like this.
    The game is addicting due to the competitive nature of the game. The fact that you have to level up your characters in order to get new attacks to fully be aware of what those characters can do akso takes time. So yeah. Even though I played that much time the game does suck.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    KBgames18
    PSN
    KBgames

wii fit comes with the console so i dont think it's really fair to use the "everyone owns it" argument. for me it's probably Uncharted 2, that game was as close to perfect as i've seen in a very long time. GTA Vice City would also be a worthy nomination. i never really thought about it much until now but this decade in gaming just wasn't as memorable as the previous two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Even though I played that much time the game does suck.
    I advise you to spend less time playing games that suck, sir. (And also spending less time watching videos that you hate.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Man GAC, who pissed in your Fruit Loops? Between Wii Fit and your new avatar, I'm ready to open a vein over here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jms5118 View Post
    wii fit comes with the console so i dont think it's really fair to use the "everyone owns it"
    Wii Sports comes with the console. Wii Fit comes with an accessory you'll never use again except with that game.

I advise you to spend less time playing games that suck, sir. (And also spending less time watching videos that you hate.)
    It's Final Fantasy. I was all hyped up about it the length of time I had to wait for release. This was one I was actually really interested in for the longest time. Also. I like James' videos. Atleast 80-90% of them.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-15-2010 at 06:22 PM.