Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: A Quick Note To All Before My Arrest [DP Store]

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Karma is a bitch when it comes back! Just sit back and think of the day when it comes back them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargary75 View Post
    Karma is a bitch when it comes back! Just sit back and think of the day when it comes back them.
    *sits back and thinks*

That was less enjoyable than expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I used to get pissed when people would steal shit from the store I the Game Express I used to work at. We had a bunch of oldschool stuff (and some newer) and people would slip GB games and shit in their pockets all the time. And of course, even if we saw one, we couldn't do anything if they left the store, which usually happened pretty quickly.

Damn shoplifters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't read through all 5 pages of posts so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but...

I would hire a huge thug looking dude to work the store versus some hot chick. I am envisioning a guy about 6'4", bald head, tats, maybe jacked on some roids or just your basic biker type that looks like he was recently in prison.

The economy is bad, plenty of people lookin for jobs. Plenty of dudes who match this description. Teach the thug looking employee to confront every customer with a "how you guys doing today?" with plenty of eye contact. Some teen punk will think twice about stealing, trust me. If the customer is legit, they will probably just think the guy is cool.

Hang a huge sign on the door stating that there is active surveillance and that shoplifters will be prosecuted. Hang another in the store.

You are getting way too emotional over this. Don't start confronting people, it just gets ugly. Trust me, I ended up in a very bad situation with someone saying I assaulted them when I never touched the guy. Police, court, the whole drama. It sucked.

I just think that you can cut your losses way down if you think of some creative ways to deter theft.

Plus hot chicks are good eye candy, but useless in these types of situations. Seriously, if there was some big, scary dude working the desk, wouldn't you think twice about robbing the place?

and yeah... I second the piece of paper with the games in lock up. Or why can't you just have one empty display case and all the boxed games in lock up? I don't see what that would cost more money and you really don't need these games on the floor. The customer just wants to look at the game and decide if they want to buy. I'm actually shocked you have all those games right out in the open.
    Last edited by stargate; 01-20-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I have a question about the electric lock thing. Is that actually legal? I've never heard of places that employ such a system.
    Jewelery stores use these methods. Usually they buzz the first door open, once you're inside and the door behind you is locked they buzz the second door open.

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    I would hire a huge thug looking dude to work the store versus some hot chick. I am envisioning a guy about 6'4", bald head, tats, maybe jacked on some roids or just your basic biker type that looks like he was recently in prison.
    Why not hire a ninja? They could hear the actions of a shoplifter and move swiftly into action before anyone else notices, the shoplifter wouldn't have time to react before the ninja strikes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game store I use put the disc's behind the counter and are listed in alphebetical order so therefor no one can steal the games..Thats what I suggest. Use boxes for Wii PS2-3 or 360's and have the discs behind the counter so when someone checks out you just grab the disc and they already have the case.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    It was. Though some greedy people used to hide the slips/tickets for desired games.
    You're just pissed that you didn't think to do it.

It wouldn't work for too long. If you asked if they had a game and they were out of slips, you could still buy it. Eventually, someone would notice that there were slips missing for sell able stock and it would get fixed too.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by OMF2097 View Post
    Logitech used to have an application in order to view a web cam from a mobile phone. I love the "Kent-this-is-Jesus" idea. A talkswitch or IP Ethernet Intercom System would probably be a sure bet when setting this up. However, I've only seen apps on smart phones that allow IP voice dialing. Otherwise, you'd have to use an internet based system in order to play God

That may work for Joe. Sitting back on the couch with the laptop, drink in hand, and telling someone how proper f***ed they are for even thinking about trying that crap in his store...
    I could see Joe enjoying an opportunity to make a shoplifter feel (deservedly) stupid via verbal abuse while simultaneously discouraging and hopefully preventing the act in the process.

That's why I suggested it.

Keeping a Skype to Skype connection open on his home setup and one of the store computers could be a cheap alternative to running a dedicated line for something like that.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

Keeping a Skype to Skype connection open on his home setup and one of the store computers could be a cheap alternative to running a dedicated line for something like that.
    You know, here I am thinking of a business solution and the method of implementing the system and I never thought about just using an open Skype to Skype connection.

Simplicity is always best.

"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I could see Joe enjoying an opportunity to make a shoplifter feel (deservedly) stupid via verbal abuse while simultaneously discouraging and hopefully preventing the act in the process.
    Unless it's some smartass kid who just grins, flips off the cashier and runs with the stolen merchandise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Unless it's some smartass kid who just grins, flips off the cashier and runs with the stolen merchandise.
    Well, assuming they're going to do the leaving with the stolen merch anyway if un-interrupted with a remote microphone system ... at least Joe would have the pleasure of having told them "what for" before they bolt.

It's not a perfect concept by any means, but possibly the most fun and interesting solution offered up IMO.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    "Unstable madman" is fine if you work in a garage or industrial plant amongst other grown men, but it's not the best reputation to have if you're a business owner that specializes in a retail field largely dependent on income streaming from children and their parents- the latter who are usually greatly concerned about what sort of places their children frequent and the nature of the proprietors that run them.
    I'm sure Joe is really worried about staying popular with that all-important "thief" demographic. I'm with you on that run-in you had with the old codger though.

Thread is five stars btw.

Also, Kedawa is mildly learning disabled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Problem with keeping all the disks in one place is it is WAY easier and quicker for a theif to just steal your disk drawer if they broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    Then, he loses his cool and collars one of our friends by grabbing his shirt; we descend like jackyls and kicked the everloving shit out of that dude.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that was emphasized in my various retail stints was that merely greeting the customer, decreases the probability of said customer stealing.

I feel that too much security is never a good idea. If I'm at a shop and I feel or know that I'm being watched, as if I'm going to lift an item, it makes me very uncomfortable and unlikely to return; not a good way to make legitimate customers feel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not sure why this was bumped, but since it already happened, let's all re-read this kedawa post and laugh again

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Buying stolen shit (unknowingly, I'm sure) and selling it at a profit, like every other store that deals with second hand goods, may have brought in as much money as shoplifting has taken away.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't understand why people would risk a criminal record for a $4 game??
    If i could enter a huge HIT like the great train robbery (England)or something like that,i would be like im in guys.1 hit and your good for life ,but stealing $4 shit really bavelds my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr obscure View Post
    I really don't understand why people would risk a criminal record for a $4 game??
    If i could enter a huge HIT like the great train robbery (England)or something like that,i would be like im in guys.1 hit and your good for life ,but stealing $4 shit really bavelds my mind.
    it bavelds my mind too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, assuming they're going to do the leaving with the stolen merch anyway if un-interrupted with a remote microphone system ... at least Joe would have the pleasure of having told them "what for" before they bolt.

It's not a perfect concept by any means, but possibly the most fun and interesting solution offered up IMO.

As someone who has a gamestore, I like your ideas here on this Frankie, you seem to have a good insight into this. I might setup something similar!
    zomg I have a sig