Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Note To All Before My Arrest [DP Store]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    It sure is easy to conclude whatever you please when you aren't bothered by characterizing situations with actual facts...

He wasn't really 'trying to defend' his property when he went out of his way to collar our friend and headlock him. There's a use of force gradient involved here... It was a volatile situation perpetrated by a bunch of stupid, trespassing kids that was needlessly escalated by a retarded adult who had no control over his own ego. We started it, he escalated it, we re-escalated it. This is precisely why you don't behave like a child when dealing with children, particularly when those children have adult bodies and outnumber you 5-1. Instead of just calling the cops or saying "Get the fuck out of here..." (which would've caused us all to run like hell), he wanted to try and "intimidate" us for purposes motivated by his own fragile ego. Bad decision.

Not saying it was "right", but it was pretty predictable and standard. Speaking from experience, kids are dumb at that age. Anyway, not participating in the hijacking of this thread, so drivel on as you please. My opinion is known.
    True, I'm sure we've all done stupid things when we were teenages.

Speaking of adults who have no control over their egos, where's the data?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Speaking of adults who have no control over their egos, where's the data?
    . I haven't decided if I'm going to make a site for it or not. So far, I'm leaning towards yes, but there are other factors involved which may tip that decision either way.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The madman rep is free and fun deterrent. I like the idea. I've seen it work. My dad had that sort of reputation at his work and despite being an average sized long haired guy, I've seen him freak out hayseeds twice his size that confronted him about some absolute bullshit. Bullies for ya. Complete chicken shits.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The madman rep is free and fun deterrent. I like the idea. I've seen it work. My dad had that sort of reputation at his work and despite being an average sized long haired guy, I've seen him freak out hayseeds twice his size that confronted him about some absolute bullshit. Bullies for ya. Complete chicken shits.
    "Unstable madman" is fine if you work in a garage or industrial plant amongst other grown men, but it's not the best reputation to have if you're a business owner that specializes in a retail field largely dependent on income streaming from children and their parents- the latter who are usually greatly concerned about what sort of places their children frequent and the nature of the proprietors that run them.
    Last edited by Landon; 01-19-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

I too want to show my support for "keeping the discs behind the counter and cases on shelves."

I happen to know a friend who runs a local independent game store and does this very well. The discs barely take up any space and I don't believe the cost of the sleeves and storage units were that much. Unfortunately, this would take up a good amount of time, but it is the best solution.

Oh, the store is Next Level Videogames in Blackwood, NJ (www.nlvideogames.com) to plug the store even though it shouldn't need it because it is run by forum member Drexel923.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Warehouse in that instance, but yeah, he still had friends there. You only show the nutso-horns to the people that have marked you as their victim.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

If you're still worried about the costs involved with moving your inventory behind the glass, consider the legal fees, hospital bills and bail money involved in picking fights with teenagers.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    I think the idea of printing out pictures of people that have been banned for shoplifting is a really good idea; the risk for shoplifting for a minor is usually a slap on the wrist and a call to their mom to pick them up. Then their life just returns to normal. But if there's a picture of them hanging in the window, then other kids from their school will see it, word will get around, and unless it's a neighborhood with thuggy kids that glorify shoplifting, it will be humiliating for them and haunt them for quite a while. And if other kids from their school spot them, they may even give Joe their identity for reference (if they got away and were only caught on the security system).
    I'm with this one - confronting the kids, although satisfying, has its own huge list of concerns for the store. The kids may be part of a gang that will retaliate with violence, and the cost for damage to the store (or yourself or employees) would far outweigh a non-violent approach like this. It also makes for great humiliation at school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Expected outcome:

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mysterio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    True...but even though many of us don't LIKE the idea of buying a new opened game, lol.....it just makes good business sense and we've all had time to adjust.
    except when you buy a "new" opened game and go to return it as "new" and they wont let you because it is opened!!!!

or if you are a collector and want sealed copies to keep.
    Last edited by Mysterio3000; 01-19-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question: can't that blog post be taken as a threat, and reported to the police?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It takes only a few seconds to take the disc out and store it in a drawer. They make really nice locking drawers and it is easy to retrieve the disc if you organize it right.

If you present an easy target, people are going to steal. They will come in looking to steal if they know you are an easy target. Not saying Joe's store is an easy target, but games out in the open is mighty tempting to some people.

Once people learn they can get away with it, you will be flooded with others trying to steal. I would only display empty cases and make sure you have signs up saying so.

Do you ever ask customers if they need help finding an item if they are looking like they are about to steal? It is ok to tell them they need to hurry up and buy something or they need to move along. I would not do this with most customers, but if you got a group of kids that look like they are up to no good, walk up to them and ask if they need help. Then, stand really close to the group and let them know you are watching them.

You have to keep people moving along. Let them shop, but if they are not going to buy anything, then it is time to move along!!!

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

4get bail, worry about who's going to help you pick your teeth up when the kids stomp u into hell for provoking them.

just kick em outta the store, 1 less copy of bayonetta isnt worth 25 stitches
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This is why I stuck to selling junk and used merchandise in the old family store. If something is stolen, who the hell cares, it's just junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Quick question: can't that blog post be taken as a threat, and reported to the police?
    I doubt that someone calling the police saying "Hey, there's a video game store owner who's threatening to aggressively confront some kids who stole from his store on his blog- he said he isn't going to hit them, but intimidate them..." would warrant any police attention (since everyone hates thieves), however, it would go to show some sort of premeditation in a civil suit, in the event someone gets hurt and everyone runs to the "I was just trying to defend myself- they started it" line of excuse making...

I'm guessing DP was understandably frustrated and just venting- after a nights sleep, he'd probably realize on his own that the best course of action isn't getting froggy with a bunch of teenagers and in the event they come back, just call the cops and let them do their work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the best course of action isn't getting froggy with a bunch of teenagers
    Who said anything about raping them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing that statement means different things in different regions

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Joe, here's a creative thought/take on surveillance ...

... since you already have remote access to your security cameras set up on your laptop why not go all the way and have a remote speaker system set up

... if you're sitting there watching potential thieves from your home setup wouldn't it be great to play the booming voice of god and call them out on it while they're in the act?

Who knows what level of effectiveness that would have, but it certainly can't hurt ... at the present time it sounds like if you can't get directly in touch with whoever is behind the counter you're stuck suffering through watching people stick things down their pants and walk out.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would make for a interesting news headline.
    "GAME STORE OWNER TIRED OF THEFT STEALS YOUNG THIEVES INNOCENCE"
    It'll make 3rd page news, for serious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is precisely why you don't behave like a child when dealing with children, particularly when those children have adult bodies and outnumber you 5-1.
    16-18 year olds are hardly children. And any 16-18 year old that beats someone up in the situation you've described doesn't sound much to me like they were just foolish kids, but more like they're nothing but common outlaws that were looking for trouble rather than just running away.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-19-2010 at 05:50 PM.