Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do different Genesis Model 1 systems have better / worse video output?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm happy with my model 1 VA6. I remember when I first came across that guide I was scared that I had a VA7, so it was a relief when I checked the system out. It's got great sound and no rainbow banding, so that's good enough for me. I wish the Genesis had better composite in a general sense, though. Even the best that it can do still isn't so hot.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Model 2 systems that have the most advanced video encoder supposedly have great video output. Mine has one level below that, and it has rainbow banding. I'm not sure if that's due to the way it's filtered, or if the capacitors are going dry.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSony View Post
    TMSS doesn't matter as much since you can get around that with a Game Genie.
    It didn't work for me with my copy of Budokan, I only got it to work on a pre-TMSS model 1 system. I tried using a Game Genie with a Model 2 system but it didn't work.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

When I was reading this I was worried that my Genesis was a VA7, but it looks like its not : D I really don't use my Genesis all that much to make a difference. But it's nice to know the sound isn't garbage. I just need an A/V cable for it now. Though the RF works fine becuase I don't have any open any A/V slots on my TV.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it even possible to find AV cables for model 1 and model 2 in the wild nowadays? I've only ever seen the mono ones for model 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Is it even possible to find AV cables for model 1 and model 2 in the wild nowadays? I've only ever seen the mono ones for model 3.
    Aren't the mono ones for a model 3 the same as mono ones for a Model 2? I've come across a few of these with various systems, but they're still hard to find. I've come across one stereo cable several years ago for the Model 2, and I've never come across a model 1 AV cable(which is mono). I'm only considering official cables, I know 3rd party ones are still sold online but I'm not interested in those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Aren't the mono ones for a model 3 the same as mono ones for a Model 2? I've come across a few of these with various systems, but they're still hard to find. I've come across one stereo cable several years ago for the Model 2, and I've never come across a model 1 AV cable(which is mono). I'm only considering official cables, I know 3rd party ones are still sold online but I'm not interested in those.
    yes, model 2 and model 3 cables are the same

and model 1 cables are the same as commodore cables

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is TMSS exactly?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post

Whoa, really?

Purkeynator: TMSS is a lockout method used by Sega after companies started releasing unlicensed games for the Genesis. It's basically a requirement that the games must have - they have to write "SEGA" to a certain part of memory for them to run. If it doesn't do that, then the system won't let it run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post

But they're not. From what I understand, model 2 and model 3 have different pinouts. It's really odd on model 3. One of the pins is mono audio, and one is stereo left. Then on model 2, it's stereo right and stereo left. The AV cable for model 3 only has yellow and white cords - one for video and one for mono audio.

I think I read this on the Sega-16 forums somewhere.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Whoa, really?

Purkeynator: TMSS is a lockout method used by Sega after companies started releasing unlicensed games for the Genesis. It's basically a requirement that the games must have - they have to write "SEGA" to a certain part of memory for them to run. If it doesn't do that, then the system won't let it run.
    Ah I see, so its similar to the Nintendo lockout chip then. Also that is why they say the very first Genesis is compatible with everything. Good to know, though I doubt there are many unlicensed titles worth owning.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Purkeynator View Post
    Ah I see, so its similar to the Nintendo lockout chip then. Also that is why they say the very first Genesis is compatible with everything. Good to know, though I doubt there are many unlicensed titles worth owning.
    After a while, unlicensed titles were compatible with this lockout method. It didn't work for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

But they're not. From what I understand, model 2 and model 3 have different pinouts. It's really odd on model 3. One of the pins is mono audio, and one is stereo left. Then on model 2, it's stereo right and stereo left. The AV cable for model 3 only has yellow and white cords - one for video and one for mono audio.

I think I read this on the Sega-16 forums somewhere.
    I was talking about the cables themselves. I've just checked the cables that came with my Model 3 system and I checked the mono cable that came with a Model 2 system, they both have the same pins in the connector. With the mono cable there's just 2 pins used in total. The same mono cable also came with the 32X system, I suppose you could use the Model 2 mono AV cable with a Model 1 system if you have the converter that came with the 32X system.

The Model 2 systems are compatible with either mono or stereo output, the Model 3 really just has mono output.

I'd also like to point out that the Model 1 AV cable is also the same as the Sega Master System AV cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It didn't work for me with my copy of Budokan, I only got it to work on a pre-TMSS model 1 system. I tried using a Game Genie with a Model 2 system but it didn't work.
    I don't know what to tell you. Budokan and Populous works on my non-TMSS model 1's, and TMSS model 1's/model 2's with Game Genie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSony View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. Budokan and Populous works on my non-TMSS model 1's, and TMSS model 1's/model 2's with Game Genie.
    I'm assuming you didn't enter any codes either. The Game Genie booted up, but when I pressed start to begin the game the screen went and stayed black. I don't know why, I also don't have Budokan anymore so I can't try again either.

I've heard some people use another game to get by the lockout, they start the Genesis with another game and pull it out while it's still on. Then insert the unlicensed game and press reset. I haven't tried it because I don't want to risk damaging my system, but that's what I heard was also possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm assuming you didn't enter any codes either. The Game Genie booted up, but when I pressed start to begin the game the screen went and stayed black. I don't know why, I also don't have Budokan anymore so I can't try again either.

I've heard some people use another game to get by the lockout, they start the Genesis with another game and pull it out while it's still on. Then insert the unlicensed game and press reset. I haven't tried it because I don't want to risk damaging my system, but that's what I heard was also possible.
    No codes. I just tried Budokan on my model 2 and it even works with the Game Genie plugged into the 32X.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Model 2 systems are compatible with either mono or stereo output, the Model 3 really just has mono output.
    A little note about that: if you use a Stereo A/V cable on a Genesis 3, you will only get sound off the white cable, again, in Mono only. You will not get any sound off the red cable. Just figured I'd let you know in case you didn't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still want to know why stereo AV cables for either model are so hard to find in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    A little note about that: if you use a Stereo A/V cable on a Genesis 3, you will only get sound off the white cable, again, in Mono only. You will not get any sound off the red cable. Just figured I'd let you know in case you didn't know.
    I didn't know that, I assumed the same mono sound would be coming out of both audio cables. The Nomad has stereo sound though, right? I know a Nomad can be hooked up to a TV with Model 2 style cables. Is it the same with the CDX or X'EYE?

I still want to know why stereo AV cables for either model are so hard to find in the wild.
    Few people bought it, most people just stuck with what came with the system. The mono cables came with the Model 3 or 32X which is why they're more common.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't you just get one of those Y splitter cables and split your white audio cable into two cables for sound from both speakers. I know it wouldn't give you true stereo but you would still get the same sound from both speakers.