Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do different Genesis Model 1 systems have better / worse video output?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    My guess is that Budokan is one of those early unlicensed titles that doesn't do that, so it won't work at all unless you use a Game Genie.
    Of course that's the problem, I'm guessing you didn't bother to read the entire thread.

PSony used a Game Genie with no codes, plugged it into a Model 2 with a copy of Budokan...and it worked.
    I used a Game Genie with no codes, plugged it into a Model 2 with a copy of Budokan...and it didn't work.

We both did the same thing yet it worked for him and didn't for me.

BUT, I must warn you about something: the capacitors in those Genesis Model 1s are starting to dry up, so you need to replace them ASAP, otherwise, quite a few problems will occur(anything from distorted/dead sound to bad video, and sometimes electrical problems). Every Genesis is bound to do that one day or another, but since the Model 1 is the oldest, its capacitors will go out first, with the HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS models requiring new capacitors sooner because those were the earliest variants of the Genesis Model 1 circa 1989/1990.
    That's not as bad of a problem as you'd think, the main problem with capacitors going bad is with surface mounted capacitors. From the pics I've seen of the Genesis system boards they used regular capacitors, not surface mounted ones. Eventually the capacitors will go bad, but not so soon.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ace, were you still planning on making us a diagram with which capacitors to replace? Where do we buy the capacitors? Radioshack?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    While I find the article interesting, it's far from complete and as expected omits a lot about the MegaDrive (both Japan and Europe) spectrum. Even though I live in North America, I prefer MegaDrives (NTSC-J only) because of the cartridge slot not requiring any work. A small but fair reason that has sat with me for a long time. All the same if I were ever to do a mod, it would be on a MegaDrive and so far it seems like information on which to get in that regard is still a ways off. Pardon obtaining the TMEE mod, the only issue on MD2s is finding the CXA1645. Oh well.

I have a VA0 MegaDrive 2 made in Japan and with the CXA1145. I also use a 3rdpty decent stereo RCA cable while so far I haven't had too many complaints, perhaps I'm simply used to the crummy Genesis audio standard. I also have a HDG non-TMSS Genesis 1 VA3. I noticed the 'rainbow banding' and it seems to appear only occasionally, rather is perhaps only sometimes noticeable. I agree on the point it's not a huge concern, although I am using RF. Going from the guide, I'm nowhere as I don't have a VA6 Genesis 1 or a VA2, VA2.3, VA3, or VA4 Genesis 2, which is a shame but I suppose it's up to each individual to decide if it's really a problem or not if one doesn't have the ideal machine. I'm not crazy on modding so I guess it's disappointing, thankfully not to a point where I'll look for other machines. At least until I am compared quality between one and another to a point where it's truly significant.
    There's only one reason why I have no information on the European and Japanese MegaDrive, and that's because all I own is one revision of the Japanese MegaDrive Model 1. I need some people to fill in the gaps for European and Japanese MegaDrives.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any ideas what capacitors need replaced on a Genesis 1 model 1? I bought a cheap broken Genesis 1 on ebay to replace my crappy model 2. Apparently it powers on but shows only a black screen. My hope is to thoroughly clean the contacts and see if that works. If not I am considering the capacitor replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm assuming you didn't enter any codes either. The Game Genie booted up, but when I pressed start to begin the game the screen went and stayed black. I don't know why, I also don't have Budokan anymore so I can't try again either.
    Are you sure everything was seated properly? That's also what happens when the game and the Game Genie are not making good contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've heard some people use another game to get by the lockout, they start the Genesis with another game and pull it out while it's still on. Then insert the unlicensed game and press reset. I haven't tried it because I don't want to risk damaging my system, but that's what I heard was also possible.
    Never do... what they do, what they do, what they do...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of this revision information has been very interesting to me. I thought there were a couple, maybe three revisions of the Model 2 Genesis but I never imagined there were so many. It seems there are probably even a few more that we don't yet know about.

Anyway, I have seven Model 2 Genesis consoles lying about the house so I decided to open them all up and see what is inside. I found a few interesting things. I will go ahead and post the specifics about each system and then specify what I thought was interesting about them at the end for potential discussion. This list is done in the order that I opened them up, which was random. No two were exactly alike.

Consoles with 3/4 boards:

Made in Thailand - S/N 253055185
    Board: VA3, MFG 5/94
    VE: KA2195D
    Shell MFG: 2/95
    Screws: All silver
    Weight: 24.6 oz

Made in Japan (this is MK-1451)
    Board: VA4, MFG C1996
    VE: CXA1645M
    Shell MFG: 2/98
    Screws: All black
    Weight: 23.2 oz
    Works with Sega CD: Yes

Consoles with full boards:

Made in Taiwan - S/N 63014449
    Board: VA0, MFG 4/C1993
    Shell MFG: 5/93
    Screws: Case=black, Board=gold
    Weight: 25.7 oz

Made in Japan - S/N R30493493
    Board: VA1, MFG 7/C1993
    VE: CXA1145M
    Shell MFG: 9/93
    Screws: All gold (unlike all the other ones these screws are all the same size)
    Weight: 26 oz

Made in Japan - S/N G30369781
    Board: VA1, MFG 7/C1993
    VE: CXA1145M
    Shell MFG: 8/93
    Screws: All gold
    Weight: 25.6 oz

Made in Taiwan - S/N 040101696
    Board: VA1.8, MFG C1994
    Shell MFG: Unknown (very confusing date stamp, picture below)
    Screws: Case=black, Board=gold
    Weight: 26.3 oz

Made in Thailand - S/N 240688450
    Board: VA2, MFG C1994
    Shell MFG: 10/94
    Screws: I got a phone call while looking at this one and I spaced on checking the screw color
    Weight: 26.5 oz

The first thing that jumped right out at me was the MFG date of the #2 system's shell. It seems very late at 2/98. From what I've read this is almost definitely a Majesco unit. Not only that, but the fact that Majesco was still making new Genesis units in 1998 is cool! This one also has strange chalk markings all over the inside of the shell. Weird. Additionally this unit does work with the Sega CD.

Strangely there are no Chinese units. I thought these would be more prevalent. I was also surprised to find two units from Thailand, I thought these were more rare.

Unit #4 was the only one that had all screws of the same size. I think the holes are all made for both sizes of screws, they just used the larger screws if they run out of smaller ones. The smaller screws were probably cheaper.

The weights of all seven systems are different.

The guide says "nearly every single" VA0, VA1 and VA1.8 has the KA2195D video encoder. Both of my VA1s have the CXA1145M video encoder.

Here are the pictures:

What the hell date is this supposed to represent?

Last edited by nebrazca78; 02-04-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have 19 Model 1 Genesis consoles lying around. I really didn't feel like opening them all up but it seems this is not really necessary for the Model 1's anyway. Apparently the Sony and Fujitsu video encoders are highly similar in output which is the only specific you would need to open one up to find out. But I did note all of the versions and where they were manufactured. Here's the info:

Non-TMSS HDG units (boards VA0-VA4) made in Taiwan - 5

(It surprised me that I have more of this version of the Model 1 than any other. Usually these are not so prevalent.)

TMSS Non-HDG units (board VA7) made in Taiwan - 4

TMSS HDG units (boards VA5-VA6) made in Japan - 3

TMSS HDG units (boards VA5-VA6) made in Taiwan - 2

TMSS Non-HDG units (board VA7) made in Japan - 2

TMSS Non-HDG units (boards VA6-VA6.8) made in Taiwan - 1

TMSS Non-HDG units (boards VA6-VA6.8) made in Japan - 1

TMSS Non-HDG units (boards VA6-VA6.8) made in China - 1

(The Chinese unit also has a sticker noting that it has been fully refurbished.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Nebrazca, would you be able to take a picture of your VA0 Genesis 2's cartridge slot held open? I'm missing pictures of the cartridge slot held open on the VA0 and VA2.3 Genesis 2(full motherboard Genesis 2s are easily identifiable by the board layout around the cartridge slot). Make sure the image is bright and at a very high resolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem. I'm listing a bunch of games on eBay tonight but after I'm done I'll take the picture you want.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    Wait, where did this come from? It seemed from everything I read that the model 1 genesis with "high-definition graphics" was the best.
    It is, go with that one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this thread is super-helpful. I just swapped out my crappy Sega system with one of the High Definition ones and the sound is so much better! I honestly had no idea there was any difference at all but the bass is way better now. Thanks!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Are you sure everything was seated properly? That's also what happens when the game and the Game Genie are not making good contact.
    Yeah, I cleaned the contacts on both the Game Genie and the Budokan cart. I could use other games fine with the Game Genie but not Budokan, I went and dug out my Model 1 so I could test it and it worked fine. I can't remember but I think I tried the Game Genie with my Model 1 and it worked with Budokan, I really can't remember for sure though.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it even possible to find a model 2 VA3/VA4 with a CXA1645 that works with Sega CD? Or are all of those ones Majesco models?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both a VA3 and VA4 Genesis 2, both of which are 100% compatible with everything I have, Sega CD, 32X, Virtua Racing and Game Genie included. Some user on here posted about a Genesis 2 being completely incompatible with all that stuff, but I declare that to be total BS unless someone shows me CONCRETE evidence(and I mean a video) of any 3/4 motherboard Genesis 2 not working with any of that stuff.

Now that I think of it, I should check to see when my VA4 Genesis 2 was manufactured. If it was sometime in 1997/1998, it's definitely a Majesco unit.

Which leads me to this: when did Majesco release the Genesis 3?
    Last edited by Ace; 02-05-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Nebrazca, would you be able to take a picture of your VA0 Genesis 2's cartridge slot held open? I'm missing pictures of the cartridge slot held open on the VA0 and VA2.3 Genesis 2(full motherboard Genesis 2s are easily identifiable by the board layout around the cartridge slot). Make sure the image is bright and at a very high resolution.
    I'm having trouble taking the picture. If I use the flash there is a reflection, even from different distances. If I don't use the flash, the picture is too dark and you can't really see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Is it even possible to find a model 2 VA3/VA4 with a CXA1645 that works with Sega CD? Or are all of those ones Majesco models?
    If you look at system #2 that I took apart above, it is a Majesco unit, has the VA4 board with a CXA1645M and works with Sega CD. BTW any and all of the systems I have mentioned are available for sale except one of the non-TMSS units which is the one I use to play games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my cartridge slot images clear by putting the Genesis under a big magnifying glass with a light on it. You don't happen to have one, do you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my cartridge slot images clear by putting the Genesis under a big magnifying glass with a light on it. You don't happen to have one, do you?
    no I don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is an excellent thread! I've been trying to get better video out of my crappy Genesis 2 and tried every type of AV cable and tv thinking that might be the problem, when all I had to do was track down the right system instead.

As for audio, here's an interesting little mod for improved output:

http://8bitcollective.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=12803

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

What do all of these issues mean in terms for for the Nomad? Are there different boards for it and are some better than others? Or was this system so short lived that there are no differences?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your Majesco model 2 is compatible with Sega CD and 32x? That's good to know... now I won't have to worry except for running across a system with the crappy Samsung encoder.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click