Thread: SonyPSP versions and stuff

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SonyPSP versions and stuff

I don't know if there is a thread about this, but since PSP is 3 letters I tried searching for other words and nothing came up. I'm hoping someone can just give it to me straight. (I basically play old school games but it would be cool to have them portable)

So if I want to use an emulator to play SNES, PS1, etc, games on a PSP which version do I need? I've read a lot stuff about the PSP-3000 not being hackable, but then Wikipedia says something about it now being possible with ChickHen and Enable 3.01 or something. Or if I want to get a PSP-2000 the later ones might have the same motherboard (TA-088v3 ? ) as a 3000 and there are ways to check, but if I want to buy a 2000 brand new I don't see how to check. I've read stuff where people say all the God of War limited edition PSPs are the older ones and then some of the Madden editions are and some are not. Also that you can downgrade the firmware it comes with?

So can I use the 3000 or should I just get a 2000? Either way is the 2000 still easier to install CFW?

Whats the easiest way to go about this? I really prefer a new PSP over a used and the 3000 is suppose to have a better screen, but I'll take a 2000.

Thanks

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 01-21-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your best bet is to go with a PSP-2000 model. Try to find either the Daxter Silver one, the God of War red one, or the Star Wars white one, as you can install custom firmware on all of them pretty easily (I have the silver one, personally).

I wouldn't even worry about the 3000; it is hackable, but it's a hassle. It is true that the 1000 is the easiest, but the 2000 is nearly as simple, plus it has double the internal memory (which some emulators use, like NJ's NeoGeo emu, for example).

You can easily find multiple tutorials online about how to install custom firmware. There are places that even sell combo Pandora battery/magic memory sticks that will easily install custom firmware on your PSP in a matter of minutes. Google is your friend!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the link and for the info.

I know there is a lot out there for doing the installations, but I'm looking to buy a brand new PSP and want to be sure I get the right one. I think the link Oobgarm gave has just about everything I need.

Isn't the chances of the other 3000 mobo being hacked at some point decent? I wouldn't mind one of the import carnival colors. Although I remember reading a review that someone said the 3000 felt cheaper and flimsier than the 2000. Any truth to that?
    Last edited by trollrx; 01-21-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a 1k and 3k. the 3k hack was rather easy. as far as construction or feel, there all the same. the 1k is a bit heavier. my 1k is hacked to but i forgot how it has some really old firmware. ( may look into the new 1k hacks just to upgrade it)
    mhuspeed hack is what you want on the 3k better then HEN. Its only a hassle if you power cycle alot (left in sleep is fine)or remove the battery continuously.
    there is also cfw hack for the 3k's but that may be a bit sketchy
    If you do go with a 3k series you may want to stay away from the 3004. I would also not downgrade firmware that seems to be where a bunch of brick came from.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, so I'll go with a 2000 in a model guaranteed to give me a hackable mother board. Next question is what do people recommend for firmware and why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You don't have much choice.

Anyway I used Rain's Simple MMS Maker v1.0 to hack my Vader PSP threw the PSP USB port. Sandisk 4gb mem stick.

I used this tutorial to make my hacked firmware card.

After that I had to search for the firmware hacks on torrent sites. Nothig worse then pages that link to firmware at MEGAUpload. That site blows.

Using 5.50 gen-d2
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.