Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are the days of consoles gone.....?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mastamuzz View Post
    Use the courrent technology to make games that look great but with the old gameplay!
    I've often thought of an open source multi-platform hardware emulator system (similar to how MAME is set-up), where a developer, if they wanted, could custom build the "hardware", specifically for the type of game they were intending to build, in software - according to the demands of the project. Or simply use an existing soft-system build (either copy of existing hardware or a tweeked version or a totally new soft-hardware system built and designed by someone else) to get right into making a game for it. Eliminates retail hardware and software distribution, and to a degree, some marketing push (some large barriers to entry that exist today). Internet/viral, word of mouth and enthusiast community support would be the prime factors in marketing of the games, I'd imagine. Sort of a HB scene on 'roids, where even the system "hardware" can be HB-designed. I'm sure it would generate some very interesting results. It would be a mammoth undertaking to pull all of that under one package, but less of one than building tangible new-old tech hardware for retail sale. Or, at least, that would be my estimation of it. The reason that it hasn't come about already in this form is pretty sad... Gave it away in the first line even: "open source".
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-15-2010 at 12:30 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It used to be easier for a new console to be released, games didn't take long to write and could be done with small teams and small budgets. Look at Atari and the likes of Sinclair, Coleco and Mattel for examples. Heck, a lot of software on the Spectrum and C64 was written by kids in their bedrooms! These days, it's all about fancy graphics, large development teams, multi million dollar budgets, etc. That means it costs multi millions to make a new console system and generate software for it; so few players in the world can now participate - probably just Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo; period.

Thus, on topic, the days of "consoles" are gone, in the original sense.

Personally, I far prefer old games than new ones: with their emphasis on gameplay, quick-fix and fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Clearly the iPad is the next gen console since Apple is great? Until they find a new way to make touchscreen gaming not a complete pain in the ass, there is a big hurdle to move.

As far as DLC goes, I've only seen mention of broadband infrastructure in this thread. Strange but true: the whole US is not totally wired yet with 100mbit fiber optic for $10/month. Soon this will be taken care of, but not yet. I am sure the retailers will have something to say about this, too. What happens when you yank one of the profit items from store shelves? Do you seriously think that companies such as WalMart, etc, won't have a word to say in this? Not saying that DLC won't happen (it is), but there are considerations beyond, "Well it works fine on my 5gbit here in Metro City."
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Or now (the iPhone, Droid, Pre Plus, Nexus One, etc.).
    Yeah, but like, moreso. Imagine a phone with a full desktop-style OS, video out, inputs for keyboards/controllers, etc.

With consoles becoming more computer-like (and media center-like / set top box-like), handhelds being console-like (at least with the PSP), the decline of straight-up MP3 players in favor of "internet media tablets", and cell phones advancing on all fronts (gaming, internet, media playing, computer-like usability), it would seem likely that all of the above will converge at some distant point in the future. Maybe 30 years is too soon, though. A lot of companies seem to be working against convergence right now.