Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stores no longer seem to carry video game magazines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stores no longer seem to carry video game magazines.

At least for the most part they don't. I occasionally still see Nintendo Power and Official Playstation Magazine...but that's it. I never see Game Informer, Electronic Gaming Monthly, GamePro, etc. All the stores around where I live that used to carry all kinds of gaming magazines, now carry none of them. Have all those magazines gone under or something? I heard awhile back that EGM stopped publishing their magazine, but started making it again. I know the internet is all you need nowadays, but I still like to buy gaming mags.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Game Informer is owned by Gamestop, and they really just sell the subscription and the one issue they have with the Edge Card now. I don't think they're really going for the single sales bit.

EGM I know went under and then came back. No idea about GamePro though.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Gamepro's still around (cue the ZOMG GAMEPRO SUZZORZZZ crowd). Let's not let the fact it's survived 21 years get in the way. I'd guess that the store you buy your magazines at just don't sell enough copies for them to keep stocking them.

Around here, most places carry Gamepro, the Official Mags, and usually 1 or 2 of the import mags (for $15 a pop).
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I'd guess that the store you buy your magazines at just don't sell enough copies for them to keep stocking them.
    I'm talking about all the stores around where I live - Wal-Mart, Target, Fred Myer, Best Buy, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. None of them carry any video game related magazines except for the occasional issue of Nintendo Power and the Official Playstation Magazine. They used to carry all the major gaming magazines...but have stopped just within the last year or two.

All those stores I've mentioned still carry a crap-load of PC related magazines though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed this as well.

And next to where the game mags should be, there's literally a dozen different digital photography and photoshop magazines. Wheee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I'm talking about all the stores around where I live - Wal-Mart, Target, Fred Myer, Best Buy, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. None of them carry any video game related magazines except for the occasional issue of Nintendo Power and the Official Playstation Magazine. They used to carry all the major gaming magazines...but have stopped just within the last year or two.
    That's because the major gaming magazines now consist of GamePro, Nintendo Power, the Official Xbox Magazine, and PlayStation: The Official Magazine. There's also Play, but that's always been slightly more fringe than the other magazines. And, as someone pointed out above, Game Informer is exclusive to GameStop channels.

Many magazines have folded in the past year or so. There simply isn't much left for department stores to stock.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Department stores, grocery stores, convenience stores, liquor stores whatever... none of them really sell gaming mags anymore around here, haven't for the past 5 years. If I ever need a fix, I go to a bookstore - Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, Waldenbooks etc. Each of them usually carry around 10 USA mags and 3-5 Euro mags. I only buy the Euro ones anyways since they honestly seem to have simply better production values and are less biased/more free, so that's why I go to said locations.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Insert Coin (Level 0) FireAce86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OmegaWeapon487
    PSN
    OmegaWeapon487

Yeah, I've notice this as well. There are several game stores by my house. Years ago, they were filled with game magazines, now, I bearly see any. I think it has to do with the fact that some of these magazines are using the internet more often. Heck, we're communicating online via the world wide web. Freaky!
    Gray Fox: "Snake.. we're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But at least I always fought for what I believed in.. Snake... farewell."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I used to be able to find GamePro all the time in my local K-Mart/Target, but now I have to go to Borders or Barnes and Noble to pick them up. I guess it really isn't a bad thing, because the bookstores sell more diverse magazines anyways.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I've noticed the same thing.
    I used to be able to find GamePro, EGM(back before they went away and came back), OXM, and PSM at a few places but now it seems the only thing even slightly gaming related I see is a PC gaming mag and occasionally OXM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I haven't bought or subscribed to GamePro since the early 90's, but I might actually subscribe to that soon because John Davison has taken over as the head guy there. He was the head guy at EGM for awhile. I've heard him on the old 1upYours podcasts, and I think he's going to make GamePro a decent mag before too long. Only thing is, by the time I subscribe to it, watch GamePro go out of business or something....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I haven't bought or subscribed to GamePro since the early 90's, but I might actually subscribe to that soon because John Davison has taken over as the head guy there. He was the head guy at EGM for awhile. I've heard him on the old 1upYours podcasts, and I think he's going to make GamePro a decent mag before too long. Only thing is, by the time I subscribe to it, watch GamePro go out of business or something....
    I just got the newest issue of GamePro, its got some really good articles and seems to be alot better now that John Davison has taken over as EIC.

And for those talking about EGM, it hasn't officially came back yet. I think the first new issue of rhe re-launched EGM is due out in March of this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also noticed that there aren't many game magazines on newstand racks but thats mainly because they don't sell as much as they use to. Most people either use the internet or they subscribe. I have four video game magazine subscriptions and I might add the Official Playstation Magazine soon, along with EGM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually only find xbox mag at walmart and sometimes I'll see GamePro, XBox Mag, psm at Borders. I really think that magazines are on their way out. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 10-15 years magazines went electronic and cut physical distribution.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gamelord2000

I usually find what I need at Walgreens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is sad to see mags appear to be on the way out, especially since it's such a part of video gaming culture and there are so many fond memories related to checking out the newest issues on a rack for gaming information.

As long as mags stay in circulation, though, I won't be too upset if I can't find them at stores. I mean, buying magazines at stores is a ripoff anyways. For the price of 3-4 issues you can just get a whole year's worth of issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In Mexico there are quite a few videogame stores and none have any magazzine for sale ... but we have plenty of magazzine booths

For american magazzine i usually find them in HASTINGs, even PLAY mag. I travel at least every month to McAllen, TX
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The sad truth of the matter is there are only a handful of US game magazines anymore. Of the few that exist most are not worth your money.

Play may be the best of what is left. Though their views tend to be out of step with the rest of the industry at least I believe that they are only telling me their own truths about how they feel about games and their views are not dictated by a corporation or scoring a major cover. I could be wrong however.

I cannot take Game informer seriously being backed by Gamestop. Remember when they scored Paper Mario low not because they did not like it, they did like it, but because they felt their audience would not like it. To even admit to this is shameful.

My local Barnes and Nobles has more British Magazines than US ones. And the British magazines are really much better than the US mags. Too bad they are outdated and way to expensive by they time they reach the US.

I am excited for the new EGM though, hopefully it will turn out to be something special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I hate Play. All the writers are stuck up assholes who try too hard to be different.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    I hate Play. All the writers are stuck up assholes who try too hard to be different.

You could be right, its a matter of perception.

However most game mags are in step with each other in terms of reviews. Pretty much if you read one opinion in one mag its going to be the same in others.

Its refreshing to see a wildly different point of view. I don't put faith in reviews anyway, its all subjective and only you and you alone can decide what is fantastic and what stinks.