Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Actually, I've heard that this new method that they are using could make pirating the game "extremely" difficult. I will admit to not understanding the whole technical method behind it, but the way I understand it, in laymans terms it works like this:

The reason you need a constant internet connection for the game to work, is that bits and pieces of the game are streamed to your PC, and installed "temporarily", seconds before they are needed for the game to function properly. Thus, you lose your internet connection temporarily, and the game is automatically paused. The reason the game is paused, is because the game needs these "bits of code", to function. If you lose your internet connection, then it doesn't get these bits of code, and the game becomes unplayable. Another way to think about this is kinda similar to the whole "OnLive" thing. With OnLive, you aren't actually playing a game on your computer, the game is streamed to your computer, and you're playing it from a remote server. This isn't exactly how the Ubisoft thing is going to work, but it's somewhat similar in theory. Supposedly, about 95 percent or more of the game code will be on your computer, but the other 5 percent (or less), won't be. This small amount of data that is critical for the game to function, will be streamed to you, just ahead of the time in which it's needed for the game to function. This is why you need to "always" be connected for the game to work.

Now, will it be completely impossible for hackers to get around this type of security? Probably not. But, I've heard that if hackers are able to get around this issue, to play the game, they might actually be able to play the game, but they will end up playing a busted, incomplete game. Imagine, playing certain levels where the enemies are completely missing from the level. It could end up being something along those lines.

I will say that everything that I've said above could be 100 percent inaccurate, but I was on another message board, and this is what people were talking about. This is how they kinda explained what Ubisoft is actually doing here. It's sounds really harsh for Ubisoft to take such measures, but hey, I don't really blame them. Piracy on PC is pretty rampant. Probably almost half the people playing their latest games on PC aren't paying for them. They feel like they got to do something drastic to change this, and this is definitely a drastic measure, but I give them credit for having the balls to actually try this. The key factor is whether or not this actually truly eliminates the ability for pirates to hack it. If it really does, then I think their efforts are justified considering the climate of piracy on PC. If it doesn't work, then it's just something that is going to really piss off their legitimate customers.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. The bigger question is when is this going to hit the home consoles? Could Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo get away with requiring an always active internet connection to be able to play your games?
    Even streaming data is defeat-able. People rip youtube videos all the time, streaming radio, sites that have subtitled shows get their subs ripped, the same will happen for games. If there is a point where it is played as it is supposed to be played anywhere along the line, it will be taken from that point. There is no way to stop piracy, shot of simply not having a product to begin with. If they do want to stop piracy, they maybe they should stop making their products more of a pain in the ass to use legally than illegally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    There is no way to stop piracy,

Sony is doing a pretty good job of it, at the moment. Sure, I've heard the latest news about an exploit that could mean that the PS3 would be able to eventually run homebrew/backups, etc, etc, but at the moment there aren't any PS3 backups available for sale on Craigslist.

I just think that if they are going to this drastic of a measure, they must be extremely confident that it can't be pirated in a "useable" form. Again, I don't doubt their games that use the feature will still be pirated, but I think that nobody will be interested in playing the pirated versions, because they will be missing critical gameplay mechanics that will leave the games essentially busted.

Also, what about World of Warcraft? Is anybody pirating that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    I have got to the point where I don't get worked up about this crap anymore.

Because it is obvious to me that companies do not want me to spend money on their games anymore.
    What he said.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If their games were online only with no offline mode, similar to MMOs, then this would be a non-issue. I dunno...my initial reaction was "Well I guess Ubisoft won't be getting any money from me for their PC efforts" until I remembered they hold the rights to the Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic franchises. Bleh...no doubt future M&M games will have this "feature" implemented in them.

I should stop there as I am still irked that New World Computing's more popular IPs are owned by different companies now instead of all being in one spot.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gotta hand it to Ubi for having the balls to remind us of what they actually are doing with the game adverts (like those in GRAW2). Or, I dunno, just pulling a Microsoft and scaring us so badly that we'll rush back into their arms when they inevitably realize "oh, that was a pretty dumbass thing to try, wasn't it?"

I didn't see myself wanting to do this, but if this happens it's outrageous enough that I won't be getting any affected games.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Ah well I haven't bought an Ubisoft game since....I guess Blazing Angels 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it no coinicidence that Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) for the PC has been delayed? At least we now know why.

**UPDATE**

This includes consoles as well!!!!

I logged into Assassin's Creed II on the 360 and there was an update. Seems there is an option for "UPLAY" in the menu. You register with your email address. Once in you get points that you can redeem at the store. Nothing there yet. Only games showing up are Assassins Creed II, R.U.S.E. and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I guess we now know why that one was delayed as well.
    Last edited by esquire; 01-29-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I GOT IT! I know how we can still pirate these games! Ok so I don't know the tech but here is an idea, if something is streamed to your computer while you play all you need to do is have your computer save the streamed data to your HDD and then using the CD/DVD compile everything together into a complete game.

Sounds like a simple concept. Even if you don't compile everything together, the missing info could even be a patch. Or download the missing info to your HDD and tell the game to access that info from the hard drive rather than online.

With all the people in the world always attempting to crack or pirate or generally figure things out I don't think this would be too hard. We have Windoz running on a Macintosh, this cannot be to difficult to figure out!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Often wonder how much of the lost sales due to the copy protection methods used and not actual "I don't wanna pay for this" piracy.

I can't believe this rootkit/disable CD-drive/copy protection BS isn't hurting their sales.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Well, this makes my decision of doing console gaming only an easy one. Unreal Tournament was the last PC game I really enjoyed. Ubisoft, go ahead and do it, I like TMNT, and Rayman, but this news is not a big deal with me.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The easiest way to get around it is to share your account publicly, like on a forum. They even said the game can be installed on as many computers as you'd like, you just have to be logged in to play it(though only one person can be logged in at a time). Seems like someone could buy the game and share the account publicly just to get back at Ubisoft.

What games did they actually develop themselves and not just publish? I could only find a list with both combined so I'm not sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Well, if they implement it for console, I'll be forgoing my purchase of SC: Conviction.

After the mess EA's SPORE caused with my wife's machine(which required not only a reinstall of Windows to get the DVD drive working again, but a complete DBAN), I'm done with PC gaming and the DRM, unless I pirate the thing. I flat out told the EA tech support rep I was pulling it off bittorrent, and they could F$%^ themselves. I paid for a game, not for something to screw the computer up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like just another nail in the coffin of PC gaming. Pretty stupid move on Ubisoft's part (or maybe that's just what they intend - you have better control over piracy on consoles). Not that I play modern PC games anyway, but I certainly won't buy any of the affected Ubisoft games.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robotriot View Post
    This sounds like just another nail in the coffin of PC gaming. Pretty stupid move on Ubisoft's part (or maybe that's just what they intend - you have better control over piracy on consoles). Not that I play modern PC games anyway, but I certainly won't buy any of the affected Ubisoft games.
    Seems almost like an attack against PC gaming, doesn't it? The big-budget gaming industry is quickly catching up to the recording industry in terms of the lengths they'll go to in order to sabotage their own profitability for ideological reasons.

They should be figuring out how to turn pirates into customers, not the other way around.

It's unfortunate, but these blunderers are never going to kill off PC gaming completely. If anything all they're doing is leaving a lot of open room for newer, smarter outfits to move in and profit immensely by not punishing the people who give them money. What a concept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
    Well, if they implement it for console, I'll be forgoing my purchase of SC: Conviction.
    I don't think Microsoft or Sony would allow that for "this" generation. As for PS4 and Xbox whatever, all bets are off.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The newer games Ubisoft has published have been subpar anyway, but this move is the dumbest thing ever, and is yet another step backwards for PC gaming.

If you buy the game, you own it, It's not like It's a mmo, and you get banned or the servers get taken down. It's completely BS to have to sign up to play a single player game that you bought, on top of which, these assholes are saying you don't even own the game you bought(selling a item you bought is not pirating, so they are just being greedy assholes now, and I'm possative the amount of money the company looses due to legal resales is unnoticeable).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm for buying a game and giving the guys who worked on it (a small part) of what they are due.

But they/the publisher don't get squat when you call paying customers thieves.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

meh... I have a fast PC with a fast internet connection, so it's hardly worth getting all worked up over Ubi games requiring me to take advantage of both

sure, it sucks ass, but lately everything about PC gaming sucks ass anyway now, so who really cares? it's getting to where the majority of new games for the PC are either available only as an online download, or they can only be purchased from an online retailer like Amazon.com... again, so freakin what?

if you're a PC gamer, chances are you have a fast PC with a fast internet connection, so why get pissed off when a game requires you to have both?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It isn't about having a fast internet connection.

It is about how those who *PAY* for the game have to deal with DRM/limits/restrictions, while those who download a pirated version do not.

Why do I need to be punished for doing the right thing?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

If you're a conscientious PC gamer, here's what you can do these days:

1. Buy the game so you can support the company.
    2. Download a cracked pirate copy and play that instead.

After you're done with the game, you can then re-sell the original like you would any other game (since you would have kept it sealed and un-activated) and still have some moral high-ground in knowing that you weren't strictly ripping off the company. Meanwhile, you weren't subject to invasive copy protections that could compromise your computer. Everybody wins!

Depending on your moral viewpoint and your opinion of the company, step 1 becomes less and less enticing.

--Zero