Thread: Anyone know if there will be a knock off Turbografx/PCEngine?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windancer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone know if there will be a knock off Turbografx/PCEngine?

just wondering if anyone might know or has heard of anyone that might be making a Knock off Turbografx or a PCengine It sure would be nice since all these Dual cart systems are popping up for Nintendo and sega genny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Hmm highly unlikely unless it was made to play both region for hucards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Hmm highly unlikely unless it was made to play both region for hucards
    Tron you sly dog how ya been? Pop into the risingstuff chat if you get a chance would love to talk at ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wasn't there an actual PC Engine clone back in the day? I remember reading about it on a cloned hardware site years back. I believe it looked like the PC Engine Shuttle a bit. If those Chinese clone makers really wanted to do something different than Famiclones, they'd start doing those again. Who wouldn't love to go out to a flea market or a mall kiosk and see a TurboClone with 50 built-in games?

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Wasn't there an actual PC Engine clone back in the day? I remember reading about it on a cloned hardware site years back. I believe it looked like the PC Engine Shuttle a bit.
    You're absolutely right. I don't remember what site it was, but I distinctly remember seeing pics and a description of this phony Shuttle you mentioned. There were photos of the inside of each, and various corners were cut in the clone, as is common practice with console knock-offs.

As for a modern clone, I'm guessing it'll never happen. The darn thing just wasn't/isn't popular enough to warrant it. The fact that NES/Fami piracy has been so common for so long means that creating a clone system is cheap and easy. Someone would really have to be dedicated to trouble themselves with whipping up a cheap and effective PCE/TG16 clone. Take into consideration that the vast majority of folks today feel no nostalgia towards the platform and you can see why the odds are so slim.

Steve's right though: a little TG clone with built-in games would be pretty neat, although I do feel that clones and bootlegs take away a little from the mystique of a long-forgotten system (to me, anyway).
    Last edited by allyourblood; 01-30-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allyourblood View Post
    You're absolutely right. I don't remember what site it was, but I distinctly remember seeing pics and a description of this phony Shuttle you mentioned. There were photos of the inside of each, and various corners were cut in the clone, as is common practice with console knock-offs.
    I don't know if you are thinking of the same thing but the old assembler site had pictures of one when he had his collection pictures up.that most have been like seven years ago now.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvortex View Post
    I don't know if you are thinking of the same thing but the old assembler site had pictures of one when he had his collection pictures up.that most have been like seven years ago now.
    Found the one I was thinking of:

http://nfggames.com/games/pceclones/

I think this is from the same guy who runs GameSX, Lawrence. In fact, if I recall, that's where it used to reside.
    Last edited by allyourblood; 01-30-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah there was also another clone it was called like navstar or something like that out of korea I justthink it would be very cool if someone made a system like these new genny's and snes that have been comming out

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If anything there should be a clone to play all the CD based games since the original hardware is very expensive and often needs repairs(capacitors failing in the Turbo Duo). I could see demand for a Turbo Duo system clone that's fully region free for HuCards and CDs, it would make more sense than all the clones for common systems like the NES, SNES, or Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly doubt it. TG-16 just wasn't popular enough for it to be viable in the U.S.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

At best, it would be either a card slot in a multisystem-type thing or a handheld.

I would buy it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    I highly doubt it. TG-16 just wasn't popular enough for it to be viable in the U.S.
    Yeah, but the PC Engine was crazy popular in Japan, and I'm surprised that isn't a consideration given that most of these clones are also sold in Asia (that is true, I'm pretty sure, right?). I guess I don't understand enough about the general market for these devices, but it seems like there is at least a pretty strong feeling here on the board (a lot of whom I think have bought clone systems of various kinds, and have posted their impressions) that a TG-16/PC-Engine system would be a virtual instant buy.

I have to admit, given that I guess there is no PC-Engine-on-a-chip solution (so far as I know), that it may not be viable. Unless (and again I demonstrate my ignorance) it can be emulated in the same way the AT Games systems do on their Genesis systems. Is there anything special about that chip set that means it could do Genesis/MegaDrive emulation but not PC-Engine/TG-16 emulation?

I dunno. How does one go about proving that there is a market for this kind of device? Is that a futile expectation?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

If someone had a good source of card slots, they could make a good bit of money selling region convertors.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well we can only hope I think a neat idea and if someone did it with a cdrom that would be even sweeter.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TG16 may not have been massively popular, but it had some great games on it. It was a very good console, just didn't take off as it should have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    Yeah, but the PC Engine was crazy popular in Japan, and I'm surprised that isn't a consideration given that most of these clones are also sold in Asia (that is true, I'm pretty sure, right?). I guess I don't understand enough about the general market for these devices, but it seems like there is at least a pretty strong feeling here on the board (a lot of whom I think have bought clone systems of various kinds, and have posted their impressions) that a TG-16/PC-Engine system would be a virtual instant buy.

There were piles of these everywhere I went to look for games in Tokyo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

i think the reality of it is that there will never be a clone. There isn't a good enough reason for it.

They cost about 50$ (clones), and thats what a legit console goes for more or less.

If they cloned it so that it was region switchable and had super grafx support, it would be a different story.

Most of the clones support multiple systems which makes them more ideal.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post

There were piles of these everywhere I went to look for games in Tokyo.
    I got excited there for a second. I saw the price on them, ¥ 1974, and couldn't figure out the exchange rate. I thought they'd be $2 each! Instead they're over $20 each. Dang, I thought we could get someone living in Japan to buy up a heap dirt cheap and haul 'em over the pond!