Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC - Donkey Kong 3

Quiet week last week, let's hope things pick up a little bit this time!

I like to think of this as the Super Mario Bros. 2 of the Donkey Kong series. It has Stanley, who never appears in another game, ever. Instead of a running and jumping platformer, you've got a shooter of sorts. And you're trying to protect plants from getting stolen. Nobody to rescue. Just an odd game that doesn't really seem to fit into the rest of the series. Unlike Super Mario Bros. 2 though, this game is fun. (Oh yeah, I went there).

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7611

Flack will have the ROM at this location, should you need it http://www.robohara.com/mameclub/

Previous MMMC games: Jump Coaster, Rampart, Jungler, Ninja Emaki, Port Man, Psycho Soldier, Metamoqester, Gunbarich, Sengoku (series), Snacks'n Jackson, Metro-Cross, Moon Shuttle, The Real Ghostbusters, Moonwalker, Black Widow, Kid Niki, Joust 2, Super Contra, Shoot-Out, Raiden, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Dead Connection, Gate of Doom, The Outfoxies, Popeye, Baseball Stars 2, Intrepid, 1943, Super Pac-Man, Samurai Shodown II, Berzerk, MERCS, Spin Master, Noboranka, Carnevil, Boogie Wings, Battletoads, Sky Shark, Dr. Micro, Fire Trap, Bump n Jump, Raiden Fighters Jet.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 02-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Which SMB2, US or JP?

Donkey Kong 3 always irritated me on the NES, just for that end theme. Always kinda creeped me out.

But admittedly I had fun with the MAME version, making it to the 3rd round, where you get the nasty exploding bees. The win jingle seemed very reminiscent of Gyromite if I'm not mistaken...
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

81,600 points, after maybe 10 minutes and six / seven credits (I've played it before, but not seriously); that's back to the stage with the gap in the platform for a second round. The first stage went down in like five seconds on the second round (there were 7700 points left on the bonus clock that time). Got ~42K on my first play not remembering what to do (I've played this before, but not seriously). Only missed the bonus in one stage (second from last on the first loop).

Arbitrary, a bit clumsy at times. Arbitrary because the orange sprayer is basically a "win the level now" powerup, but picking it up means you won't have it in a later stage when you need it (sometimes...the first time I pick it up in stage 1 it usually sticks around through all of stage 2 as well, but after that it's only around a few sprays at the beginning of the next stage and then have to die to get another), and playing without it can be tough. Clumsy because you'll get killed switching platforms or jumping in the air (have to get that little bit closer to DK!) when something decides to explode or an arrow hits you or whatever. I ought to see such things coming but with this type of game I tend to have my moves planned out ahead of time...that's probably my fault, in retrospect. I still say it's a bit clumsy, though, but I ought to stop whining and learn to deal with it. The sprayer issue is a real head-scratcher though.

A worse game than last week's, in pretty much every respect, but it gets points for keeping your attention on a number of things at the same time - so I'd say it's actually ahead of most shooting games of the time that go with a too-simple brain-dead Space Invaders ripoff theme. But if I had a few minutes to kill I'd probably play this before SMB2 US, though I wouldn't call it better.

It is fun, but doesn't have the longevity of last week's entry for me.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

This game pretty much hits my happy zone for most arcade games. I can play a full game in about 5 minutes, and I walk away frustrated, but happy.

I hit about 45k, and feel like if I'd play a little bit smarter, I could easily do better, yet I never do.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only played this game 2 or 3 times before, so I don't have much experience with it. But after playing a dozen or so rounds today I'm up to 52,700. It's not quite as hard as the other 2 Donkey Kong's both of which took me a lot longer to reach that score. Anyway it's nice that a game was chosen that's on my multi, because I'm really not particularly fond of my MAME rig and PS2 style gamepad. One day I'll build a proper MAME upright, so I'll stop complaining.

I'm sure I'll be chiming in on this one later on in the week. Good pick Scooter.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DK3 is a remake/update of Space Firebird.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    DK3 is a remake/update of Space Firebird.
    Whoa, I totally see it. Played SF for a few seconds and already saw one of those dangerous suicide bullet enemies (shoots more bullets too, I think). Had no idea SF was a Nintendo game either.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd been playing 1942 and Galaga for the past hour and a half and got my ass handed to me (fuck I'm terrible at games). Anyway decided to give DK3 a chance and came out just a little better. I said it before, but it's way easier than Donkey Kong (and Jr. too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

That was quick and dirty w/ a PSX controller, I'll play a game tonight at the arcade and post that score. We have it on TG settings at the arcade too, which is a harder difficulty setting. Only person I've seen consistently do better than me is Dwayne Richard, who is the world record holder. I'm a 300,000 - 400,000 player at the arcade.

Waggle waggle waggle. 8*)
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

Played DK3 tonight at work. Not one of my better games, unfortunately. I lost my last 5 lives on level 15. 8*(

TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com